Daniel Alves

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I personally would do everything in my power to bring Bellerin back to Barca if I was Lucho. We could easily survive until January without Alves.

I don't think we can, every time Adriano or Montoya takes Alves place, you can see that something is not right with a team and that's just playing against midtable or bottom table teams and there are very important matches in La Liga and CL until January.

Leo_Messi

Replacing the arguably most influential right back/wing-back in the past 10 years will be a hell of a job. It's very easy to underestimate the current declining Alves but people tend to have a short memory when it comes to football. For several seasons in a row Alves was an absolute key element of our team. Similarly at Sevilla. I have never seen a right back that was more suited to our playing style than Alves. His linkup play with Messi was at times out of this world. Just take a look at the enormous amount of assists that he has provided.

Watching him nowadays is indeed a anti-climax compared to his heydays but even today he is undoubtedly among the best right backs out there. That's how good he is.

We should never underestimate his role in the dressing room either. Character's like him don't grow on the trees. They are a very rare trait nowadays.

Give the man his contract extension and then buy his replacement in January next year or the summer of 2016.

If not then there is nothing more to do other than wishing all the best at PSG. I for sure will miss him. A lot.

DrPepper

I can already see it. We will not renew him but we also won't buy a replacement until 2016. So next season Montoya or Adriano will be starting most matches, because that's how we roll. :rolleyes:

Leo_Messi

I can already see it. We will not renew him but we also won't buy a replacement until 2016. So next season Montoya or Adriano will be starting most matches, because that's how we roll. :rolleyes:

You would not bet against this very sad and worrying scenario unfolding as long as this amateur board is at the helm of the club, would you?

No, in all seriousness then rest assured that the current board or the new one will buy a right back this summer.

Stric

I have no problem admitting he was once great for the team and fit like a glove. It's not about having short memory, it's about what he is at this moment. He has declined. It's a fact. It's perfectly reasonable to be aware of how good he was during his time here, but it's also reasonable to only take into account how good he's been recently when judging how good he is at the moment. The fact that he was good years ago doesn't mean he will be good for years to come.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I have no problem admitting he was once great for the team and fit like a glove. It's not about having short memory, it's about what he is at this moment. He has declined. It's a fact. It's perfectly reasonable to be aware of how good he was during his time here, but it's also reasonable to only take into account how good he's been recently when judging how good he is at the moment. The fact that he was good years ago doesn't mean he will be good for years to come.

The fact that we have a transfer ban, that we're stuck with Douglas + Montoya and that there simply aren't any good RB's on the market should sway you in favour of Alves. Imo he had a bad first part of the season, but so did the majority of our team tbh - since a couple of months ago he is a crucial part of a team that puts a big smile on my face yet again.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
We have to renew him, that way we can even put off RB problem until summer 2016, maybe by that time new RB talent will emerge, because now there is nothing really to choose from.

Stric

The fact that we have a transfer ban, that we're stuck with Douglas + Montoya and that there simply aren't any good RB's on the market should sway you in favour of Alves. Imo he had a bad first part of the season, but so did the majority of our team tbh - since a couple of months ago he is a crucial part of a team that puts a big smile on my face yet again.

That makes sense, of course. But if the transfer ban is our reason to extend his contract, then obviously it should be a one-year extension. Which he most likely won't accept. We can't give out three-year extensions as charity to players at that age. So it's either losing him and being extremely thin with RBs for one season, or giving in, giving him a three-year extension and paying his wages until long after we probably don't need him anymore.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
That makes sense, of course. But if the transfer ban is our reason to extend his contract, then obviously it should be a one-year extension. Which he most likely won't accept. We can't give out three-year extensions as charity to players at that age. So it's either losing him and being extremely thin with RBs for one season, or giving in, giving him a three-year extension and paying his wages until long after we probably don't need him anymore.

I see the negatives just like you, I even fear a 2 year extension is to much no matter how much I like him. But I also understand if he won't accept a 1 year extension and I will definitively not blame Alves if he decides to leave us after this season - we have put ourselves in this mess with our ban and that ridiculous Douglas signing.

Leo_Messi

Alves HAS to stay. It's as simple as that. We can't afford to play half of the next season with only Montoya and Lord Douglas on the right back position. I don't give much for the rumors of either Bartra or even worse Pedro playing on the position.

Let us assume (best case scenario) that the board (whether the current one or a new board) would be able to buy the right man this summer then there is no guarantee whatsoever that this player x would perform right from the start and we can't frankly take any risks in the second half of the season. Not the time to experiment.

So I say give Alves that contract extension. He deserves this as a loyal servant of the club and for having raised his level since the beginning of the season. On the other hand the current board has treated him quite badly so I would understand if he wanted to go to say PSG.

If he stays then give him a 2 year extension (hell even 3) and then buy his replacement either in January 2016 or the summer of 2016. Alves can always be sold/released in 2016 or 2017.

It's a no brainer really. I don't get why this takes so long for the board to decide. The longer it takes the less likely Alves is to stay.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alves HAS to stay. It's as simple as that. We can't afford to play half of the next season with only Montoya and Lord Douglas on the right back position. I don't give much for the rumors of either Bartra or even worse Pedro playing on the position.

Let us assume (best case scenario) that the board (whether the current one or a new board) would be able to buy the right man this summer then there is no guarantee whatsoever that this player x would perform right from the start and we can't frankly take any risks in the second half of the season. Not the time to experiment.

So I say give Alves that contract extension. He deserves this as a loyal servant of the club and for having raised his level since the beginning of the season. On the other hand the current board has treated him quite badly so I would understand if he wanted to go to say PSG.

If he stays then give him a 2 year extension (hell even 3) and then buy his replacement either in January 2016 or the summer of 2016. Alves can always be sold/released in 2016 or 2017.

It's a no brainer really. I don't get why this takes so long for the board to decide. The longer it takes the less likely Alves is to stay.

I wish there was a "like" button. Case in point, this post above.

Bertus

I think that he should stay for another season. He can't leave this summer. We need him.
He doesn't want to stay just "one season" just because Barca screwed up with their mercatos.

And I fully agree with him. He doesn't have to comply with this if he has a chance to get a way better contract elsewhere.

Home of Barca Fans