Daniel Alves

Bertus

I wish there was a "like" button. Case in point, this post above.
Till Bojan doesn't come to me saying he double saved all the datas of the forum somewhere safe, I won't install a like button despite it being all ready for install tested and customized for BarcaForum right now on my home server.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The fact that we have a transfer ban, that we're stuck with Douglas + Montoya and that there simply aren't any good RB's on the market should sway you in favour of Alves. Imo he had a bad first part of the season, but so did the majority of our team tbh - since a couple of months ago he is a crucial part of a team that puts a big smile on my face yet again.

Concur...Especially due to the club's precarious situation in terms of signings but Alves has to be renewed, IMO...He remains an integral part of this team regardless of his form being less than what it once was

Jombi

How do people know that "there arent any good RBs on the market"? There are literally hundreds of RBs in the biggest leagues. How on earth are people able to conclude that none are good or on the market?

I remember a few years ago, we used to buy players from the French league, like Marquez for 5m euros, Yaya for 9m euros and Abidal for 14m euros. Then we decided to stop buying from the French league and its now been 8 years since we last bought anyone from that league. Instead of buying from France, we became obsessed with buying from Arsenal in particular.

Last edited:
B

beautifulgame

How do people know that "there arent any good RBs on the market"? There are literally hundreds of RBs in the biggest leagues. How on earth are people able to conclude that none are good or on the market?

I remember a few years ago, we used to buy players from the French league, like Marquez for 5m euros, Yaya for 9m euros and Abidal for 14m euros. Then we decided to stop buying from the French league and its now been 8 years since we last bought anyone from that league, and we became obsessed with buying from Arsenal in particular.

+1

Alik

That's not how discussions work. We only talk about the RB we've seen/heard of. Of those, apparently none of them look to be smooth successors to Alves. Hence it seems there's "no good RB on the market".

You have any preferences to a player in particular?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I remember a few years ago, we used to buy players from the French league, like Marquez for 5m euros, Yaya for 9m euros and Abidal for 14m euros. Then we decided to stop buying from the French league and its now been 8 years since we last bought anyone from that league. Instead of buying from France, we became obsessed with buying from Arsenal in particular.

People know that by watching a lot of football and reading up on the topic. You hear about a player and than you tune in to a game or two and if you know a little something about football you'll have a pretty clear picture. Replacing Messi, Iniesta, Alves or Busi is not an easy task (well, Messi is and will be impossible to replace for decades to come) - Alves is his prime was the best attacking RB to ever play; calm, technical, fantastic passing, dribbling, vision and even some defending to complement his awesomeness. I'm all for buying from Ligue 1, but we can't force it because we once bought Yaya, Marquez Abidal and Ronaldinho there. If we have any good scouts they should be able to scout France for the talents we need.

Jombi

That's not how discussions work. We only talk about the RB we've seen/heard of. Of those, apparently none of them look to be smooth successors to Alves. Hence it seems there's "no good RB on the market".

You have any preferences to a player in particular?

OK, so people tend to watch the biggest and richest clubs and their RBs and conclude that they are not on the market because they already play in a rich club. Well, thats very different from concluding that there are no options left for Barca. We used to have scouts that could find good deals in different leagues, like the French league for example. Thats what scouts are for.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
OK, so people tend to watch the biggest and richest clubs and their RBs and conclude that they are not on the market because they already play in a rich club. Well, thats very different from concluding that there are no options left for Barca. We used to have scouts that could find good deals in different leagues, like the French league for example. Thats what scouts are for.

No, we don't only watch the biggest and richest clubs. But a hidden gem in a lower table club in say France or Portugal won't go unnoticed for long, say if he really has what it takes to become a RB for a club like Barca. Football has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years, everybody trying to get in on the action and not only 5-6 clubs have the cash and prestige to convince you to join.

Jombi

People know that by watching a lot of football and reading up on the topic. You hear about a player and than you tune in to a game or two and if you know a little something about football you'll have a pretty clear picture. Replacing Messi, Iniesta, Alves or Busi is not an easy task (well, Messi is and will be impossible to replace for decades to come) - Alves is his prime was the best attacking RB to ever play; calm, technical, fantastic passing, dribbling, vision and even some defending to complement his awesomeness. I'm all for buying from Ligue 1, but we can't force it because we once bought Yaya, Marquez Abidal and Ronaldinho there. If we have any good scouts they should be able to scout France for the talents we need.

How can people have a clear picture of whats available? Its impossible. Who knows what is available in Brazil? Or Argentina? Or France, Serbia, Portugal, the Netherlands etc etc. If we obsess about players playing for Arsenal or PSG, we will always be disappointed. I think its time to go back to basics and do what other clubs do. Actually focusing on players who have their best years ahead of them and who dont already play for the richest clubs in the world.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!

There are of course many, but none of them measure up to the status that Alves had when we bought him. He was an integral part of the Sevilla side that won two UEFA cups in a row and arguably their most important player.

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since we bought a player from Ligue 1. I hope we do soon though, as there are many gems around currently. Hopefully, not all of them will be gone this summer.

Jombi

No, we don't only watch the biggest and richest clubs. But a hidden gem in a lower table club in say France or Portugal won't go unnoticed for long, say if he really has what it takes to become a RB for a club like Barca. Football has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years, everybody trying to get in on the action and not only 5-6 clubs have the cash and prestige to convince you to join.

I think on the contrary, in the past 10 years we have seen fewer and fewer teams with the cash available. Italian clubs and several Spanish clubs had a lot of prestige 10-15 years ago.

Leo_Messi

People need to realize that the successor of Alves is likely never going to be as influential or as good offensively as Alves has been. We are arguably talking about the club's most influential right back.

We need to come to terms with that. Maybe that's why people have too high demands. I guess that the same will occur when other key figures are to be replaced.

Personally I don't see any "stand out" right back currently that would be available. Here I am mostly talking about young right backs. It seems to me that there are more promising left backs right now.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
How can people have a clear picture of whats available? Its impossible. Who knows what is available in Brazil? Or Argentina? Or France, Serbia, Portugal, the Netherlands etc etc. If we obsess about players playing for Arsenal or PSG, we will always be disappointed. I think its time to go back to basics and do what other clubs do. Actually focusing on players who have their best years ahead of them and who dont already play for the richest clubs in the world.

There is simply to much money to be made nowadays, to many people scouting and to many clubs living of developing players and selling to PSG, Chelski, RM etc. The pressure is huge, players can't develop in their own tempo anymore but are bought and signed by risk capitalists at a very young age and than almost thrown away if they don't succeed. We should take more risks and buy players for the B team maybe? No way, they all want to be superstars right away with fat paychecks - so we buy developed and tested players. But it's not that I disagree with you, I just think it's very hard today to pick up a player in Serbia or Netherlands for a couple of millions that was under the radar and stuff him into Barca.

Alik

Of course. Hopefully our scouts do their job and find someone. Until then, we can only discuss players we know/been linked with. This is a discussion forum after all.

Home of Barca Fans