Daniel Alves

Kohe321

I would like to believe you but this still has to be proven. Contrary to Iniesta, Xavi has been very consistent and our best technician and tactician in the midfield.

No, Xavi said so as recently as in the presser today. Luchos importance in Xavi staying is common knowledge by now.

JamDav1982

Technically he hasn't declined one bit. Maybe his speed, which , quite frankly, isn't that necessary for him, and stamina, but that's it. Experience and timing beat speed and stamina as long as you still have the brain and the technique. That's just my opinion and I made a golden rule out of it. Boxing is an excellent example of it.

A massive part of both Xavi and Alves game has been how much they get around pitch. They would cover more ground than anyone else.

It has been clear for a while now Xavi is not the same player and is not up to pace with game as much as he used to be in particular when it comes to defending.

Ball at feet he is as good as ever but he is not the player he was.

Mido

Xavi just said today that Lucho convinced him to stay for this season.

I know but he also said that one of the reasons pushing him to leave is his decreasing playing time...

This can also be seen as a sweet revenge from his part. Xavi playing 40 minutes and some peanuts in our 5 first games of the season was clearly a mistake.

Xavi not playing one single second against Malaga and City was also a mistake.

Having the best RB in the world and not treating him like the best RB in the world is a huge mistake.

Quite frankly, we can never truly answer those questions. Xavi and Alves definitely can...

Mido

A massive part of both Xavi and Alves game has been how much they get around pitch. They would cover more ground than anyone else.

It has been clear for a while now Xavi is not the same player and is not up to pace with game as much as he used to be in particular when it comes to defending.

Ball at feet he is as good as ever but he is not the player he was.

You are totally right about the defending part.

Let's just say that Lucho's system didn't allow him to fully express himself, but the same ( if not more) applies to Iniesta.

JamDav1982

You are totally right about the defending part.

Let's just say that Lucho's system didn't allow him to fully express himself, but the same ( if not more) applies to Iniesta.

Xavi hasn't looked the same player for Barcelona in past two seasons or for Spain. Its not Luchos system, time has caught up with him and the worst thing for Lucho to do would be to try and change his whole system to protect a declining player.

Xavi in no way has been treated badly by anyone.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
I know but he also said that one of the reasons pushing him to leave is his decreasing playing time...

This can also be seen as a sweet revenge from his part. Xavi playing 40 minutes and some peanuts in our 5 first games of the season was clearly a mistake.

Xavi not playing one single second against Malaga and City was also a mistake.

Having the best RB in the world and not treating him like the best RB in the world is a huge mistake.

Quite frankly, we can never truly answer those questions. Xavi and Alves definitely can...

You have to be realistic. Xavi has played A LOT the last few years and it has clearly taken its toll on him. I can't count how many times he's looked lethargic on the pitch in the seasons 12/13 and 13/14, but this year, with his reduced role in the team, he's been like the Xavi of old. Older players need time to recover fully, something Xavi hasn't been able to the past few seasons. Maybe he realised that the legs can't keep up anymore in top football, but he still wants to play every week, which wasn't possible at Barca. I believe this was his reasoning.

Mido

Xavi hasn't looked the same player for Barcelona in past two seasons or for Spain. Its not Luchos system, time has caught up with him and the worst thing for Lucho to do would be to try and change his whole system to protect a declining player.

Xavi in no way has been treated badly by anyone.

I never said that Lucho should have changed his system because of Xavi. There is no single Lucho system, there are multiple systems and tactics that he uses. When you see a much weaker team like Malaga parking an Airbus A380 and giving us more than we can chew, we might ask ourselves if having let Xavi--Rakitic wouldn't have been better.

But the past is the past, and Enrique, until now, has been proven to be right about his choices. Pragmatism gives you victories but greater challenges to overcome afterwards.

Enrique will have huge tasks to deliver next season, we'll see what hee is all about. If he comes close to what he did this season, I'll put him above Guardiola, for sure !

Last edited:

Mido

You have to be realistic. Xavi has played A LOT the last few years and it has clearly taken its toll on him. I can't count how many times he's looked lethargic on the pitch in the seasons 12/13 and 13/14, but this year, with his reduced role in the team, he's been like the Xavi of old. Older players need time to recover fully, something Xavi hasn't been able to the past few seasons. Maybe he realised that the legs can't keep up anymore in top football, but he still wants to play every week, which wasn't possible at Barca. I believe this was his reasoning.

Your argument is totally valid to me, but there is a huge difference between playing 3600 minutes (2013/2014) and 2100 minutes ( this season). All I am saying is that Xavi clearly had a new role to play but he could have played a little bit more, something like 400 or 500 minutes more.

Mido

Alves is making a huge mistake if he ever leaves, I hope he will pay the price for it if he does, and he normally shall. This is purely egoistic...

JamDav1982

Your argument is totally valid to me, but there is a huge difference between playing 3600 minutes (2013/2014) and 2100 minutes ( this season). All I am saying is that Xavi clearly had a new role to play but he could have played a little bit more, something like 400 or 500 minutes more.

Maybe he could have but Luchos decisions are to do whats best for the team and not just to give Xavi as many minutes as possible.

Or we could assume Lucho got Xavi minutes spot on in order to keep him at higher level.

If Xavi really felt he had more to give at the top level I don't think he would be heading for Qatar. I really don't think Xavi feels badly treated by Lucho in any way.

Mido

Maybe he could have but Luchos decisions are to do whats best for the team and not just to give Xavi as many minutes as possible.

Or we could assume Lucho got Xavi minutes spot on in order to keep him at higher level.

If Xavi really felt he had more to give at the top level I don't think he would be heading for Qatar. I really don't think Xavi feels badly treated by Lucho in any way.

Unfortunately, neither you nor me can answer this question. Anyway let's get stuck to the subject --> Dani Alves :D

Stric

The offer was tipped heavily in his favor. It seems he's just been trying to negotiate a better deal, and as soon as they agreed to his terms, he was always going to ask for more, and use other offers as leverage. He must really love the club. Cunt. Glad he's leaving.

Mido

If he asks for more than 7 million euros per year then yes, he sould definitely leave...

Enrique, next season is time to show that you have the cojones... (excuse my language)

Home of Barca Fans