Daniel Alves

Richard.H

I really think ppl are underestimating Montoya. When was the last time Montoya got at least 7-8 matches in a row to get into form and match rhythm? Ppl are too quick to write players off based on the odd appearance after weeks of sitting on the bench. Montoya used to be better than Carvajal, but was benched and not given trust.

If Montoya's rocket against RM had gone in and not hit the post, he might have been considered a semi-God at the moment worthy of worship.

Youth does not in any way equate to being a good player in the senior squad. Yes there is correlation but just because someone plays well at youth levels doesn't mean they will be good forever.

A lot of coaches haven't used Montoya a lot and I sure as hell trust experienced professional coaches like Lucho more than Barca forum members. There has to be a reason for that and I'm sure it will be exposed next year when you see Montoya most likely playing 7-8 games in a row. I mean, the only other alternative is.... Lord Douglas :douglas:

Last edited:

Jombi

Youth does not in any way equate to being a good player in the senior squad. Yes there is correlation but just because someone plays well at youth levels doesn't mean they will be good forever.

A lot of coaches haven't used Montoya a lot and I sure as hell trust experienced professional coaches like Lucho more than Barca forum members. There has to be a reason for that and I'm sure it will be exposed next year when you see Montoya most likely playing 7-8 games in a row. I mean, the only other alternative is.... Lord Douglas :douglas:

Who said anything about youth level? Montoya was considered better than Carvajal by Vicente del Bosque as well, the head of the Spain senior side. Way into his first season with us for the first team. But the fact of the matter was that Montoya had a legendary RB ahead of him, while the RB position for RM was open, so Carvajal got the playing time needed to progress. Ppl who are constantly banging on about how awful Montoya is simply dont have much evidence of it, and the less he plays the more this myth feeds on itself. Ask ppl to bring up 5 games where they can pinpoint how awful Montoya performed, and I am sure they will struggle with that task.

And no, the only other alternative is not Douglas. That's another myth that is constantly spouted. Adriano and Bartra will definitely be ahead of 4th choice Douglas.

Richard.H

Who said anything about youth level? Montoya was considered better than Carvajal by Vicente del Bosque as well, the head of the Spain senior side. Way into his first season with us for the first team. But the fact of the matter was that Montoya had a legendary RB ahead of him, while the RB position for RM was open, so Carvajal got the playing time needed to progress. Ppl who are constantly banging on about how awful Montoya is simply dont have much evidence of it, and the less he plays the more this myth feeds on itself. Ask ppl to bring up 5 games where they can pinpoint how awful Montoya performed, and I am sure they will struggle with that task.

And no, the only other alternative is not Douglas. That's another myth that is constantly spouted. Adriano and Bartra will definitely be ahead of 4th choice Douglas.

Tito+ Tata never played Montoya even when Dani Alves was playing like ABSOLUTE crap. Even in the first few months of this season, Dani wasn't looking too good either. Not a single worthy match given to Montoya. If 3 coaches are doubting his abilities, then it's no coincidence.

I'm not saying he's a horrible RB, I'm just saying he is "decent". Unfortunately, decent doesn't cut it for Barca level. He might be the perfect RB for a club like Arsenal, but with Barca I don't know.

Lucky for him, before Dani Alves, RB wasn't a very high priority position for Barca. We won the CL ffs with Oleguer as our main RB....

Last edited:

Devils

I completely disagree with the notion that is going around with people saying the board should of given into Alves's every demand.

The truth is Alves has been good/great for a few months, but the 15 months before that he's been overall extremely poor. You DON'T offer a 32 year old a long contract with massive wages that go against the financial structure of the club.

You are kidding yourselves if you think that signing Alves to a long-term contract would resolve our RB issue for the next few years. Regardless of whether Alves stays or not, we need to sign a new RB this summer because it is simply ridiculous to assume that a 33/34/35 year old Alves on a massive contract is a sustainable option.

Remember, we learned the hard way last season by putting too much reliance on an old Xavi and Puyol to play key roles in our defence and midfield. Putting this much reliance on Dani could (more than likely will) backfire in the same manner. Only it wont really matter to him because he will have great job security and making massive wages which seems to be his incentive for playing football these days.

Jombi

In fact I am pretty sure with proper match fitness and match rhythm, after half a year as starter and given the chance to get into form, who knows, Montoya might be considered one of the most talented and promising RBs in the world. Respect for Montoya, so much could have been different for him if that rocket against Madrid went in. I am looking forward to see some real peaches from him next season:

[youtube]/watch?v=JLl2DxWrGnQ[/youtube]

M

monamou

Pls. Monty is mediocre at best and will not be a starter even with the transfer ban occuring.

serghei

You DON'T offer a 32 year old a long contract with massive wages that go against the financial structure of the club.

Except Alves is not every player. He's the best RB in the history of the club and an absolute Barca legend. Not like Xavi, because he wasn't raised at the club, but the next thing. A player who has given the club everything he has in him for the last 8 years. Children have been born, breastfet, sent to kindergarden, then school, and this Alves dude was still bossing the right wing. He is doing it now as well. When Alves is in a poor form, he's named the 2nd best RB in the world by FIFPRO. When he is in good form, he is the best. Period.

And about age, Xavi said he was proposed to renew until 2018. That's 3 more years. Why don't we give Alves 3 more years as well? He is 3 years younger than Xavi last time I checked, and the current best RB in the world based also on form. If it is about money, that is shameful. Instead of buying players like Douglas we should have given that money to players that deserve it and that have really done something for the club. We can waste millions with stupid transfers, but we can't make sure that a Barca legend gets the money he deserves? This board is fucking insane.

Last edited:

Interlop

He is the best RB in the history of the club. One of the best in the history, overall. We should treat him like a club legend. I know some of you are really pissed of because of his performances in 2013 and 2014 but let's not forget his other seasons at BARCA where he gave it all and won 2 CL and numerous La Liga's. Alves is very important for our club, the board shouldn't have postponed his contract talks till the last months. This shows the lack of respect to him. Sorry, but if I was in Alves' position I would do the same; I don't think in this case everything is about the money, because he wants to stay at BARCA, he said it several times. The fact that the board treated him like he is Douglas or whatever in his contract negotiations. Hell, they treated Sergi Roberto better. I think that if the board gave him the 2+1 contract in Jan-March, we wouldn't be talking about him leaving. We should've treated him like a legend, but the board talked to him like he is not important and relevant.

Ekul

1. He is a Barca legend, and we should treat legends properly and honour their service to this great club.

2. (and more importantly) There is no one in the world who would be better for us at RB than him.

3. He makes the players around him play better

To me, it's a no brainer.

Mido

I don't want divas in my team. If what's said about Alves is true, he should better leave. I am kinda disappointed, I thought Alves was a character, well he is but not in a positive way. And Neymar better calm down next season, I can't stand seeing him whine because of getting subbed off...

Mido

Enrique has really really grown on me. I completely agree with his principles. And yes he was even right when he teased Xavi about his departure. Messi should have been given a fine but we all know what would have happened afterwards...

Enrique better explain to Alves that he wouldn't mind seeing him leave. I mean Alves had everything he wanted with this marvellous club and now just because of a couple millions of euros more he acts like a pussycat ( excuse my language). Human nature can be wicked at times...

mark1nhu

Enrique has really really grown on me. I completely agree with his principles. And yes he was even right when he teased Xavi about his departure. Messi should have been given a fine but we all know what would have happened afterwards...

Enrique better explain to Alves that he wouldn't mind seeing him leave. I mean Alves had everything he wanted with this marvellous club and now just because of a couple millions of euros more he acts like a pussycat ( excuse my language). Human nature can be wicked at times...

Lucho was actually the one supporting Dani's renewal.

I highly doubt the board would get so far trying to renew with him if not for Lucho wish.

Lucho DEFINITELY mind Dani's departure.

And you are being short-sighted, in my honest opinion, no disrespect intended, if you are looking this situation as a matter of money only.

Of course money is a major factor (always will be), but there are other things running around.

Dani always was pissed about the way Abidal was treated.

No surprise he is now pissed about his treatment (yes, board was totally inept managing this situation).

JamDav1982

If Alves was so upset about the way Abidal was treated by not being offered a new contract then he is very short sighted or ignores all the things the club did for Abidal when he got diagnosed with cancer.

I dont think the Abidal situation has one ounce of influence on this decision. Alves is out to get the last big contract of his career and it is his right to do that.

As usual a load of things with no relevance comes into another debate. Alves is leaving because of money not any great moral reason about he or Abidal was 'treated'.

mark1nhu

If Alves was so upset about the way Abidal was treated by not being offered a new contract then he is very short sighted or ignores all the things the club did for Abidal when he got diagnosed with cancer.

I dont think the Abidal situation has one ounce of influence on this decision. Alves is out to get the last big contract of his career and it is his right to do that.

As usual a load of things with no relevance comes into another debate. Alves is leaving because of money not any great moral reason about he or Abidal was 'treated'.

I didn't say he is refusing to renew because Abidal.

I said he was pissed at the time. And now he is pissed again, but for his treatment.

And I didn't exclude money from the equation.

I said it is a major factor, but not the only one.

Home of Barca Fans