Daniel Alves

StarLord

Yeah, I agree. Like someone else said here though, we remember how Valdes was fantastic in his last year of his contract. It really motivated him it seems. Will Alves continue his form when he gets a new contract?

Absolutely not.

First, he will be even older.

Two, his motivation will at least partly be gone.

I say let him go.

Chong Li

TBH, I hated him at the start of the season, but wow, he was awesome in 2015.

A few mistakes here and there, but #1 RB in Europe right now by a landslide imo. I fully believe so.

Dunno how Lucho managed to motivate him but really damn he did good. Prime Alves performance in some cases.

I believe he's performing great right now because he's playing for a new fat contract.

I fully expect lazy Dani again next season, either with us or another club.

Ekul

Dani Alves is completely irreplacable. There is absolutely nobody in the world who is like him, or who is as good as him in his position. We could get the next best right back in the world, but he would not bring to the team what Dani brings. His passing, his first touch, his composure, his tactical nouse, his chemistry with teammates... not to mention how popular he is in the dressing room. Age should not be an issue, as he has shown no signs of physical decline, and even when he eventually does I doubt it will have too much impact on his game as he has never been a physical player.

He is a Barca legend, a key player from our best ever team, and a key player still. Pay him what he wants, give him however many years he wants; he has earnt it more than most. We spend millions on players like Douglas and Vermaalen and people laugh it off as a joke, but are disgusted at the idea of a club legend wanting an extra year on his contract. Let's not forget that the only reason Xavi is going to Qatar is for money, and it would be wrong to say that he doesn't care about Barca, so why is Dani being chastised?

In my opinion we should keep him at all costs until the end of his career, and appreciate how lucky we are because when he is gone he will be sorely missed.

Jombi

I see your point Ekul, but I think what the management is thinking about is that they dont want to break the wage system in the club. If certain players get overpaid, they will be harrassed by agents of the other players in the club, asking for higher pay.

Ekul

I see your point Ekul, but I think what the management is thinking about is that they dont want to break the wage system in the club. If certain players get overpaid, they will be harrassed by agents of the other players in the club, asking for higher pay.

I know, and I think that's the way a club should operate, but there has to be exceptions to the rule. It's like when Messi didn't turn up for training after being benched at Real Sociedad, and Lucho wanted to give him a hefty fine, but was persuaded not to - he wanted everyone to be equal and for no one to be bigger than the team. I'm not saying Dani is anywhere near as good or as valuable as Messi is to us, but he is similarly irreplacable in my opinion, because there is no one in the world like him. That's why I think the club should give in to his wage/contract demands.

If ever there was a time to over pay for an aging player this is it. Sounds like it might be too late but there are a couple reasons why I think so.

1. The transfer ban is still in effect until January. Montoya is good. Douglas, don't even wanna go there. But both are nowhere close to what Alves brings overall.

2. Alves knows the Barca way of playing in the first team and he links up with Leo better than anyone. Just the part about Messi alone should make the board dish out the cash without thinking twice. Besides those two playing well together, Messi has said in the past that one of the players he's closest with off the pitch is Alves.

If Alves does leave this summer I see Barca either changing their tactics and not using overlapping runs from FB's as much or them sticking with the current system and suffering. Even if Barca could sign whoever they wanted right now to play there, he wouldn't be as good as Alves. At least not for the first half of the season or longer.

Jombi

I believe either Adriano or Bartra will play RB if Alves leaves, not Montoya and certainly not Douglas (he's 4th choice even after Alves leaves).

mazp

I love Alves. But, let's face it, he's 32 and yes he's found his form these last few months but again he's 32. Barca offered him want he wanted, he rejected it. Let him use PSG as his retirement home...

B

Batman

I know, and I think that's the way a club should operate, but there has to be exceptions to the rule. It's like when Messi didn't turn up for training after being benched at Real Sociedad, and Lucho wanted to give him a hefty fine, but was persuaded not to - he wanted everyone to be equal and for no one to be bigger than the team. I'm not saying Dani is anywhere near as good or as valuable as Messi is to us, but he is similarly irreplacable in my opinion, because there is no one in the world like him. That's why I think the club should give in to his wage/contract demands.

WTF are you talking about? Did you just woke up from a coma since 2011 or something? Alves at his prime (before 2011) was irreplaceable not now! He can fool many here by playing good football for the past 3-4 months but go back 20 pages in this same thread and you will read majority of members here wants him out. Yes he is irreplaceable because we can't sign any player this summer not because he is the best right back as you claim it. Before Jan/Feb and for a long period of two and a half seasons Alves been criticized for his defensive work, his link with Messi wasn't that good as it used to be and most of our attacks on the wing came from Alba's side, his 100+ useless crosses not finding any target every game and his wing often brutally exposed in big matches. Did we forget all that just because he performed well the past 4 months so he can get his pay raise?

Alves done more than enough, we all have to thank him but its time to move on. We said the same thing about Valdes that he was irreplaceable but Bravo and Ter Stegen made us barely mention him now.

Ekul

WTF are you talking about? Did you just woke up from a coma since 2011 or something? Alves at his prime (before 2011) was irreplaceable not now! He can fool many here by playing good football for the past 3-4 months but go back 20 pages in this same thread and you will read majority of members here wants him out. Yes he is irreplaceable because we can't sign any player this summer not because he is the best right back as you claim it. Before Jan/Feb and for a long period of two and a half seasons Alves been criticized for his defensive work, his link with Messi wasn't that good as it used to be and most of our attacks on the wing came from Alba's side, his 100+ useless crosses not finding any target every game and his wing often brutally exposed in big matches. Did we forget all that just because he performed well the past 4 months so he can get his pay raise?

Alves done more than enough, we all have to thank him but its time to move on. We said the same thing about Valdes that he was irreplaceable but Bravo and Ter Stegen made us barely mention him now.

It's the little things that we'll miss. His intelligence, his link up play; when he's gone you'll see. He may not be what he was in 2011 but there is still no one that can do what he does, and no one that is as suited to Barca as he is.

Richard.H

Dani Alves is extremely important to the Barca system and you guys will see this next season when he is gone. Very underestimated player. It's just too bad that Barca had to lowball him. With the transfer ban coming, the Barca board should do everything to make all the players and staff stay.

No, Montoya won't even be able to do half the job that Alves does. Decent defender but a craptastic attacking full back (the quality that Alves is known most for). Not sure how we will cope. It sounds insane but Lucho should pull a Pep tactic and try out Pedro at RB to see if it will work. I highly doubt Bartra has the stamina to be an RB at every match.

Zangash

Banned
People are so incredibly spoiled by Alves that they can't even imagine a world where we have to use a RB who can't double as a winger. We'll be fine.

Jombi

I really think ppl are underestimating Montoya. When was the last time Montoya got at least 7-8 matches in a row to get into form and match rhythm? Ppl are too quick to write players off based on the odd appearance after weeks of sitting on the bench. Montoya used to be better than Carvajal, but was benched and not given trust.

If Montoya's rocket against RM had gone in and not hit the post, he might have been considered a semi-God at the moment worthy of worship.

Home of Barca Fans