David Luiz

So they're prepared to spend 30 to 35m euros on Luiz but not 40m euros on Thiago Silva? Am I missing something here?
The problem with Thiago Silva is his salary. I think he makes more money than any barca player except Messi. This is the reason Barca are not very keen to get him. He won't accept a salary reduction.

0n0mat0p0eia

:facepalm: Again, i'll say it: If Mourinho - one of the top 5 coaches in the world, who builds his teams from a platform of a solid, v good backline - doesn't want Luiz...NEITHER SHOULD WE!

DavidVillano1

I don't get why people think Arbeloa is 'garbage' he's not a great player but he's certainly a good player. You don't get picked by both VDB and Mourinho if you're poor. Arbeloa had an excellent Euro 2012 and was always an outlet for Spain and was in the opposition's box more time than any other defender at that tournament.

Wouterinho

I don't get why people think Arbeloa is 'garbage' he's not a great player but he's certainly a good player. You don't get picked by both VDB and Mourinho if you're poor. Arbeloa had an excellent Euro 2012 and was always an outlet for Spain and was in the opposition's box more time than any other defender at that tournament.
I remember someone on TV showing how Arbeloa was ignored as much as possible during Euro 2012 (they'd pass the ball to anyone but Arbeloa if possible) and I know that's an exaggeration, but he was really the worst player in that team by miles. Apparently his attitude (always working hard on training etc) is really good, but technically he's just not that good. Ofcourse he's a good player, but I consider him one of the worst players out of those that are playing for a big club and national team.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
He was decent, but for a team like Spain who have world-class players at every position Arbeloa sticks out like a sore thumb.

DavidVillano1

I remember someone on TV showing how Arbeloa was ignored as much as possible during Euro 2012 (they'd pass the ball to anyone but Arbeloa if possible) and I know that's an exaggeration, but he was really the worst player in that team by miles. Apparently his attitude (always working hard on training etc) is really good, but technically he's just not that good. Ofcourse he's a good player, but I consider him one of the worst players out of those that are playing for a big club and national team.
Arbelloa made 318 passes in 6 games, average of 53 per game, not bad for someone who hardly got the ball! More than Silva, yes at times he didn't receive the ball, but as I said above he had the most possession in the oppositions box than any other defender at the tournament, that shows he got lots of touches.

He wasn't the worst player by miles either, he had a very good tournament, better than Alonso, IMO. Yes he's the weakest player in the team, but it's filled with superstars! People used to slate Capdevilla when he was excellent for Spain and very important offering width down the left, like Arbeloa does down the right.

I'd take him over the likes of Jones, Johnson, Walker, Boateng. Because he plays for Real and is a bit of a cunt he doesn't get the praise he deserves.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
But he doesn't do anything in the box, even if he gets the most touches; no assists or goals, as opposed to say Alba, who got a goal and an assist with supposedly less touches. And the number of passes doesn't mean too much either, their backline didn't get pressured a lot and it was probably just side or back-passes.

i_bleed_blaugrana

All this is true except, he makes numerous blunders and is a liability at CB.

And if he is paired with Pique: Who is going to lead the defence?
It'll be the blind leading the blind.:blind:This has 'accident waiting to happen' written all over it.

The only way he could fit at Barca is at CDM, and we are already fully covered there. And NO WAY is he worth even 25m.

A backline of Luiz-Pique will be an unmitigated disaster. You mark my words.

I think your being a bit overzealous with Luiz. He really has improved his positioning under Benitez and he doesn't make nearly the amount of blunders he used to when he first joined Chelsea. He will be coming to us with two years of experience in the PL, not an easy league and European experience at the highest level. He was excellent against Bayern in last year's CL final, which was at the Allianz mind you.

As far as how Pique-Luiz would work, I'm sure it will be shaky at first. I feel like as long as Pique has someone who is adequate, he's fine. Pique-Masch hasn't been bad by any means and Luiz>Masch. Remember, Puyol isn't done yet. Puyol-Pique for the big games and Luiz-Pique for La Liga. It'll take time but its not as improbable as you make it sound

Home of Barca Fans