David Luiz

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Didn't they pay more than that for him , he's improved considerably since then as well .

They paid 25m euros. And improved? You mean the guy who is not trusted to play at his preferred position, CB and has screwed up countless times have improved?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well since he's going to be starting instead of Mascherano, I believe he CAN be an improvement over him. He is faster and will be infinitely better in the air, which gives us a dimension we often get exposed for in defense. I just pray that he is back there to defend those aerial duels rather than sitting way up in la-la land :lol:.

We don't need a CB Alves. He can be involved in our buildup (he'll probably be much more involved in that aspect than Pique) but he can't break the stability of our defensive line by wandering around out of position. Even if our defenders aren't particularly great, if we can maintain a protected and disciplined defensive line than we won't be easy to break down even if we don't have world class defenders.

This is where I feel Lucho will come into play. Usually, Busi's disciplined positioning in front of our CB's gives us a defensive shape and creates a structure that cuts off a lot of space for attackers. This season he (along with the likes of Alves) roams around far too much and we've seen a lot less of defensive Bossquets than previous years providing a backbone. Lucho likes to keep a "Busquets figure" in his midfield and whoever it is (Oubina or Fontas) remains disciplined and helps keep a balanced defensive structure. Anytime Celta's defensive shape breaks it's due to individual error instead of having an unorganized and exposed defense from the start (reasonable due to lack of ball playing ability in Celta's defense and no world class players). I hope that because of this that Lucho is able to get the most out of our defense and mask Luiz's faults so that his qualities shine and dominate (much like Ancelotti has done for Ramos and Pepe at Madrid).

DonAK

Well, if he arrives then he gotta work his ass off and remained focused or else I think Lucho wont think twice before benching him unless someone in the "higher order" forces him to use him.

Stric

I must admit I'm no longer excited about the prospect of getting a good experienced CB. The choices we have are really not that good, and I don't want Bartra to go back to being the fourth choice again. If it was up to me, I'd use Pique and Bartra as the main pair, and then whoever is bought as an alternative. And Mascherano as fourth choice. An expensive, experienced, high-priced CB surely won't come here to be second to Bartra.

DonAK

Well, I think there are other options out there, good choices, but when Zubi is hell bent on signing David Luiz then what can we do other than hoping he does well and support him since we need him to do well...

raskolnikov

Why is he our main option every summer? based on what? the Puyol type sideshow bob haircut? I dont get it, why not somebody more suited rather than Pique 2.0 and another player more suited at dmf.

barcanuck

Well since he's going to be starting instead of Mascherano, I believe he CAN be an improvement over him. He is faster and will be infinitely better in the air, which gives us a dimension we often get exposed for in defense. I just pray that he is back there to defend those aerial duels rather than sitting way up in la-la land :lol:.

We don't need a CB Alves. He can be involved in our buildup (he'll probably be much more involved in that aspect than Pique) but he can't break the stability of our defensive line by wandering around out of position. Even if our defenders aren't particularly great, if we can maintain a protected and disciplined defensive line than we won't be easy to break down even if we don't have world class defenders.

This is where I feel Lucho will come into play. Usually, Busi's disciplined positioning in front of our CB's gives us a defensive shape and creates a structure that cuts off a lot of space for attackers. This season he (along with the likes of Alves) roams around far too much and we've seen a lot less of defensive Bossquets than previous years providing a backbone. Lucho likes to keep a "Busquets figure" in his midfield and whoever it is (Oubina or Fontas) remains disciplined and helps keep a balanced defensive structure. Anytime Celta's defensive shape breaks it's due to individual error instead of having an unorganized and exposed defense from the start (reasonable due to lack of ball playing ability in Celta's defense and no world class players). I hope that because of this that Lucho is able to get the most out of our defense and mask Luiz's faults so that his qualities shine and dominate (much like Ancelotti has done for Ramos and Pepe at Madrid).

This is well said. I share your sentiments. It cannot be worst than Masche when it comes to aerial abilities. I think he may thrive in our system like he does for Brazil. I am not dissapointed like most of you if he comes, he's a beast and a bully on his game.

onzeXI

I hope he learns some self discipline when he comes. He can be quite good if he doesnt leave his brain at home every time.

Why, at his age, would he all of a sudden become a smart CB. Mourinho couldn't take the stupid out of him so Enrique isn't going to be any more successful. He is what he is.

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well Cahill finally became pretty much the best CB in England at 29, though he never did have the same issues that Luiz did really, there's nothing to say that Luiz WON'T improve at his age. Coloccini is another example, he got good in his late 20's. I said it before, Luiz will probably be better for you than for us. Now I just hope we force you guys to pay over the odds so we can better fund our own transfers.

Chainsaw

Killahead
If Barca sign another CB beside him I think Luiz might come out good for Barca in a long run. His versatility to cover various positions, his runs and long range shots are the characteristics currently lacking in the squad.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If Barca sign another CB beside him I think Luiz might come out good for Barca in a long run. His versatility to cover various positions, his runs and long range shots are the characteristics currently lacking in the squad.
Also he could be used as a LB... Jack of all trades. Would come handy in case we sold Adriano

Zincubus

Banned
They paid 25m euros. And improved? You mean the guy who is not trusted to play at his preferred position, CB and has screwed up countless times have improved?

He's possibly the most loved player there ( by the fans ) so he ain't doing that bad tbh .

Give him a few months playing with Puyol in preseason training and he'll be fine .

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans