David Luiz

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
37M for a 19-year-old is no less stupid than 37M for a bizzare CB like Luiz, and that's even without taking into account that the latter is a CL winner and Brazil's starting CB.

Besides, I'm not even sure how I feel about this anymore, but if someone is going to take away Bartra's playing time, I'd rather it was a senior/high-profile player than an unproven 19-year-old from a fellow Liga club. That would be a real slap in the face to La Masia.

Don't forget to add on taxes to Laporte's 36M Euro buyout. Laporte would cost even more than Luiz. And yeah to replace Bartra with a 19 year old from Athletic Bilbao is basically giving Bartra a GTFO card.

Kohe321

37M for a 19-year-old is no less stupid than 37M for a bizzare CB like Luiz, and that's even without taking into account that the latter is a CL winner and Brazil's starting CB.

Besides, I'm not even sure how I feel about this anymore, but if someone is going to take away Bartra's playing time, I'd rather it was a senior/high-profile player than an unproven 19-year-old from a fellow Liga club. That would be a real slap in the face to La Masia.

I agree, it would feel extremely unfair if a 19 year old came in and benched Bartra more or less for good, sending him back several steps to the time where he was lucky if he got some minutes here and there. He has done more than enough now to prove that he should be given the chance to keep evolving in the team, and that requires lots of playingtime. Now that we are getting Luiz (that's sure now, right?), perhaps we should just promote another CB from La Masia instead of buying a second one. I don't see how Bartra is going to get playingtime with Pique, Luiz and Laporte here. There comes a real pressure on the coach to play someone when they cost in excess of 30m...

jamrock

I was all for luiz way way back in his benfica days, but i have gotten colder towards him over the years. That being said i would be kool with it for around 20, given that chelsea clearly dont want him, but 37m euros thats way too much.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I don't think we should promote someone from La Masia just yet. Instead, we should let a couple of centerbacks (Ie, Bagnack, Tarin (will he be in Barca B next season?)) from Barca B and Juvenil A train regularly with the first team, and let them stay with their respective teams. But we should also give them playing time in Copa Del Rey, UCL group stage after the group is won, and easier league games. This way we ensure that the players get enough minutes regularly to grow and develop further.

Stric

I guess all this depends on the coach mostly, but what I can see now is that Pique, Luiz and Bartra is an OK situation for Bartra, but if we buy a CB to be a starter, and Mascherano keeps playing CB, then Bartra is down to 4th place again which is just stupid. So if we're going to buy someone to rely on to be a starter, then Mascherano really needs to be moved back to DM or shipped out. The other option is to keep everything the same as it is now and just promote/buy someone who won't be ahead of Bartra. But then again, that's no improvement to the current situation.

I just hope that whoever the manager is next season, he sees what most of us here see. You don't automatically start Mascherano ahead of Bartra just because he's more experienced/famous. The same goes for any other position. If we get that sorted out, the rest will come into place naturally. But this is Barca... :facepalm:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Don't worry, Lucho has a good reputation for integrating youth. And the players won't undermine him because he's a club legend, a luxury that Martino wasn't afforded.

Neymessi

I feel that luiz definitely will not be a flop with us.He will show sparks of brilliance but he will keep showing consistent inconsistency.

Why not get both? Lucho wants two centerbacks. :zubi:
Pique, Bartra, MAsch, Luiz and Laporte would be far too much
1 guy and promote Masch to midfield.
Pique, Bartra, Luiz and some minutes for a masia kid should do it. Masche an Adriano can always cover if those 3 are injured/suspended/out of form/...

Alarcón

Luiz is so fucking bad. I know Zubi is one of the biggest morons out there, but this is just absolutely intolerable. It can't be defended.

Luiz is clearly superior than almost every realistic target. I would have liked Hummels but other than that? Either too young (Laporte) or overrated (Musacchio, Vertonghen, Agger, Mangala, Balanta etc. etc. etc.)

ammarfcb

ze special one
Sport says 39Million it will be.

thank fak we won't spend that extra 1m.

its amazing how positive you guys can be all the sudden. luiz joining barca is disastrous. for most of his chelsea career he has been the liability in defence and not even defensive enough to play as a dm.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans