David Villa

Scottro

He failed too much tonight even if he scored (Alves gave him the ball upon his head...).
He's clearly not the same. His departure and a new forward will help us a lot more. We should have win this match by 6 or 7 goals.

Do you realize that Villa's scoring percentage on shots taken is 22% compared to Messi at 25% at this point in the season. That is one of the highest in LaLiga and the second highest on the team. He has 15 goals in only 2040 minutes played. When you take Villa's rate of scoring so far this season and assume he was given the 3950 minutes Messi played that would work out to 29 goals scored. and Messi has been missing quite a few games this season so his minutes are not extremely high this season.

That would match Villa's highest scoring season for goals for club play and I believe would actually lead every one but CR7 and Messi of the Spanish league clubs. I cannot understand the talk on this forum stating that Villa is not the same player he was and is not playing well. Mind boggling stuff.

Villa has 15 goals this season because he has been getting about 1/2 of the playing time that the other top players are getting, not because he is off.

Last edited:

Stric

Do you realize that Villa's scoring percentage on shots taken is 22% compared to Messi at 25% at this point in the season. That is one of the highest in LaLiga and the second highest on the team. He has 15 goals in only 2040 minutes played. When you take Villa's rate of scoring so far this season and assume he was given the 3950 minutes Messi played that would work out to 29 goals scored. and Messi has been missing quite a few games this season so his minutes are not extremely high this season.

That would match Villa's highest scoring season for goals for club play and I believe would actually lead every one but CR7 and Messi of the Spanish league clubs. I cannot understand the talk on this forum stating that Villa is not the same player he was and is not playing well. Mind boggling stuff.

Villa has 15 goals this season because he has been getting about 1/2 of the playing time that the other top players are getting, not because he is off.

So true.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Who's to say he would continue scoring at this rate?
Villa won't be playing in the center and he is too slow to play on the wing nor can he dribble past his markers. Can't see him work harder than other wingers we have either.
Best for him if he moved to some club where he'd play regularly and keep his Spanish NT position and for us to give chances to young Tello or whoever is coming this summer.

hellsangel1

I think anybody can see that his dribbling and movement is just not the same. He was dropped by Pep as well before he had that injury last season so it's not entirely Tito's fault this one.

Papabeef

Obviously a first half to forget, but whether or not he had scored that header in the second half.... i know he's still got it! I remember Henry had some match with us where he missed like 4 sitters, Eto was not flawless, Ibra had a dry period...etc all are unquestionably world class strikers.

The media butchered him a bit as if he's been on a 15 match run of no goals... not like he even plays full 90 mins anymore.

Scottro

Who's to say he would continue scoring at this rate?
Villa won't be playing in the center and he is too slow to play on the wing nor can he dribble past his markers. Can't see him work harder than other wingers we have either.
Best for him if he moved to some club where he'd play regularly and keep his Spanish NT position and for us to give chances to young Tello or whoever is coming this summer.

Here are the leaders in LaLiga based on goals per minute played according to Fox Sports:
1. Messi
2. CR7
3. Falco
4. Higuain
5. Villa

Villa still made the top twenty scorers in LaLiga while getting only 1150 minutes played (lowest minutes total on the list) when the majority of players on the list got 2500 plus minutes. Correct me if I am wrong but Villa does not have any goals from PKs since Messi always takes them and in most cases the top 20 goal scorers in the league are generally the ones taking the PKs for their team. So his goals outside of one direct kick been earned during active play. Not too bad for a guy that is too slow and cannot dribble around markers. I know he will leave, and should leave, but Barca missed the boat this season by not playing him and probably dropped his value a bit when he does go.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Here are the leaders in LaLiga based on goals per minute played according to Fox Sports:
1. Messi
2. CR7
3. Falco
4. Higuain
5. Villa

Villa still made the top twenty scorers in LaLiga while getting only 1150 minutes played (lowest minutes total on the list) when the majority of players on the list got 2500 plus minutes. Correct me if I am wrong but Villa does not have any goals from PKs since Messi always takes them and in most cases the top 20 goal scorers in the league are generally the ones taking the PKs for their team. So his goals outside of one direct kick been earned during active play. Not too bad for a guy that is too slow and cannot dribble around markers. I know he will leave, and should leave, but Barca missed the boat this season by not playing him and probably dropped his value a bit when he does go.

Here is table, adjusted to remove PKs, based on transfermarkt data:

scorers.gif

Falcao drops, and Higuain and Villa move up.

Tello is 8th, after Negredo and Soldado, in goals per minute. Cesc is much further down the list, but is the next highest Barça player, included here for comparison.

barcanuck

Villa is a legend. I'd be happy if he stays as a supersub no doubt. If we have to sell him so be it he will be missed.

Gilberto

This is a difficult one... He is a good player indeed, but he is aging and a good replacement would be fine too. I'd say it depends on how much we can get for him.
I guess his price tag is 20m? Or am I terribly wrong?

Andrew M

This is a difficult one... He is a good player indeed, but he is aging and a good replacement would be fine too. I'd say it depends on how much we can get for him.
I guess his price tag is 20m? Or am I terribly wrong?

In the press it was more around 12-15.

Home of Barca Fans