David Villa

-SG7-

Not towards the end when he looked dead beat, and wasn't really chasing after the ball. Another striker in his spot could've run havoc at Italy's tired defence.

Alik

Torres was quite good.
Indeed he was.

Made me wonder if maybe Silva shouldn't have been taken off or Martinez not brought on, so that Villa could have a chance. But 3 subs is really little for a team like Spain going into extra time.

DavidVillano1

I thought Torres was woeful yesterday. He only had 28 touches of the ball in over 90 minutes!

Whoscored rightly had him as the second poorest rating behind Silva, outside two decent runs Torres did nothing IMO.

The all time Spanish goalscorer deserves so much better than being third choice behind Soldado and freaking Torres, not to mention staying on the bench and the likes of Martinez playing up front. Shocking tactics from VDB last night.

barcanuck

Spain is so deep they can't even afford to play their top scorer ever as a sub. Silva should be benched for the final though. Mata, Villa, Navas all deserve his minutes.

Scottro

Spain is so deep they can't even afford to play their top scorer ever as a sub. Silva should be benched for the final though. Mata, Villa, Navas all deserve his minutes.

I would have gone with Carzola instead of Silva and subbed in Villa for Torres at around 80 minutes of regulation time. Villa's movevement would have been too much for the tired defenders late in the game. Torres was exhausted.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I thought Torres was woeful yesterday. He only had 28 touches of the ball in over 90 minutes!

I doubt Villa would have been any more effective, considering how Spain's midfield couldn't get the ball anywhere useful.

mixer

Whoscored rightly had him as the second poorest rating behind Silva, outside two decent runs Torres did nothing IMO.

The all time Spanish goalscorer deserves so much better than being third choice behind Soldado and freaking Torres, not to mention staying on the bench and the likes of Martinez playing up front. Shocking tactics from VDB last night.
What could have he do? Spain was overally poor and what he could do by himself? He tried but was quite unlucky. He was working hard trying to get the ball back and was tired so much he had to be subbed

Scottro

I thought Villa was fantastic today vs Brazil. Served up two great passes one to Ramos and one to Pedro and they wasted both of them. His shot was great and Cesar's save had to be spectacular to keep it out. It was good to see him play well at this point on the national team.

Vapor

I thought he was great today too... instantly 10x better than Torres. SO much more effective movement, interplay, and creativity. Should have started without a doubt in my mind. Why Tito and VDD have been neglecting him so much I have no idea, he still seems very sharp to me, even if he's not at his very best.

Armando929

He played well in his few minutes. Not his best, but still came close to scoring one himself and set up 2 scoring opportunities.

Still has much to offer. A new team and a new challenge will do him a world of good.

Home of Barca Fans