Douglas Pereira dos Santos

Blaugrana Man

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I can't help but feel that common sense and logic are severely lacking when looking at this situation.

Yes, Douglas is a very, very limited player. It's fairly apparent his transfer was shady, and he's here through "luck". I feel sorry for him as a footballer, and also as a person, because first and foremost, he is being absolutely crucified for putting in awful performances, and for being at the club. Everyone knows he's limited, he knows it too but every interview I've read with him he always comes across that his heart is 100% in it and he is putting in one hell of a shift. If Barcelona approached anybody on this forum to sign them, I can guarantee everyone would say yes. Comparing Douglas' situation to that of ISIS in the Middle East and other conflicts is nonsensical and just daft.

Also, crucifying Lucho over all of this is turning into the "in" thing to do it seems. Clearly there is an attitude problem with Montoya, or a contract issue, and these things happen in football. He's obviously on his way out, for one reason or another, and risking him getting injured when he could be off the wage bill and bring in a transfer fee is dangerous. I know he is not flavour of the month by any means but Luis Enrique clearly isn't playing Montoya for non-footballing reasons, he is not that dim. Also, lambasting him for his comments on Douglas reeks of getting digs in wherever possible - he'd be shot down by the same people if he turned round and said Douglas was shit! Not to mention it'd be detrimental to the player's confidence, the squad integrity, and a total PR disaster.

Blaming the player or the coach here isn't fair. It was a cup game against a third division team and we won 4-0. Instead of targeting them people should be solely focussing on the corrupt bastards who currently comprise our board.

This is such an excellent post. Spot on.

I

instinct

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I can't help but feel that common sense and logic are severely lacking when looking at this situation.

Yes, Douglas is a very, very limited player. It's fairly apparent his transfer was shady, and he's here through "luck". I feel sorry for him as a footballer, and also as a person, because first and foremost, he is being absolutely crucified for putting in awful performances, and for being at the club. Everyone knows he's limited, he knows it too but every interview I've read with him he always comes across that his heart is 100% in it and he is putting in one hell of a shift. If Barcelona approached anybody on this forum to sign them, I can guarantee everyone would say yes. Comparing Douglas' situation to that of ISIS in the Middle East and other conflicts is nonsensical and just daft.

Also, crucifying Lucho over all of this is turning into the "in" thing to do it seems. Clearly there is an attitude problem with Montoya, or a contract issue, and these things happen in football. He's obviously on his way out, for one reason or another, and risking him getting injured when he could be off the wage bill and bring in a transfer fee is dangerous. I know he is not flavour of the month by any means but Luis Enrique clearly isn't playing Montoya for non-footballing reasons, he is not that dim. Also, lambasting him for his comments on Douglas reeks of getting digs in wherever possible - he'd be shot down by the same people if he turned round and said Douglas was shit! Not to mention it'd be detrimental to the player's confidence, the squad integrity, and a total PR disaster.

Blaming the player or the coach here isn't fair. It was a cup game against a third division team and we won 4-0. Instead of targeting them people should be solely focussing on the corrupt bastards who currently comprise our board.

Excellent post.

F

Flavia

Everyone here isn't mad at him, but at zubi and the board. That much is clear. Anyway, there's absolutely no reason to be sorry for him. Not as a footballer, or as a person. He is getting paid, getting to play in one of the world's greatest club, training and playing with teammates he surely never though we would. When he leaves, he'll be in a much better position than he was when he arrived. Also, he will be a better player, if he is smart to learn from the best. I don't think he cares if he's being criticized. He's used to it. Here in Brazil, the sao paulo supporters used to criticize him a lot, to call for his head, among other things. I'm pretty sure he knows he's not good enough for Barça(as he wasn't good enough for sp), and was involved in some scheme. His face of surprise when zubinepto said he was being "scouted" for 2 years gave that up for me. It was like someone had told him the real reason why he was signed.

It also doesn't really matter if he's putting 100%. His 100% isn't good enough for a team like Barça. And Lucho is also to blame for playing him. As he sees day in and out he's not good enough. Lucho might be instructed(or forced) to play him, to justify his signing. There's no other reason why he is ahead of Montoya. Not footballing reasons, at least. Montoya decided to leave when he saw a poor player like douglas was ahead of him in the pecking order. And this makes no sense, and anyone would also ask to leave.

Nonsense. Few people attack douglas, they simply state the fact that he is shit poor player and shouldnt be Even close to any Barca line up. But he is. Why?

Because enrique says so. Its a catastrophy really, every Barca player knows that a loyal la masia player is way better than some shady deal brazilian, and enrique somehow manages to put douglas before him. That is unbelivably bad for the group in general and the signal to the yougsters isnt good. Enrique should man up, leave disagreement beside, and start the better player.

Afro

Everyone here isn't mad at him, but at zubi and the board. That much is clear. Anyway, there's absolutely no reason to be sorry for him. Not as a footballer, or as a person. He is getting paid, getting to play in one of the world's greatest club, training and playing with teammates he surely never though we would. When he leaves, he'll be in a much better position than he was when he arrived. Also, he will be a better player, if he is smart to learn from the best. I don't think he cares if he's being criticized. He's used to it. Here in Brazil, the sao paulo supporters used to criticize him a lot, to call for his head, among other things. I'm pretty sure he knows he's not good enough for Barça(as he wasn't good enough for sp), and was involved in some scheme. His face of surprise when zubinepto said he was being "scouted" for 2 years gave that up for me. It was like someone had told him the real reason why he was signed.

It also doesn't really matter if he's putting 100%. His 100% isn't good enough for a team like Barça. And Lucho is also to blame for playing him. As he sees day in and out he's not good enough. Lucho might be instructed(or forced) to play him, to justify his signing. There's no other reason why he is ahead of Montoya. Not footballing reasons, at least. Montoya decided to leave when he saw a poor player like douglas was ahead of him in the pecking order. And this makes no sense, and anyone would also ask to leave.

You're simply assuming money is everything, here. Yes, it would be a fantastic experience for any footballer to play for Barca and train with some of the best players ever - however, life isn't that simple, and I'm fairly sure it'll be detrimental mentally that he is getting panned left, right and centre.

Nonsense. Few people attack douglas, they simply state the fact that he is shit poor player and shouldnt be Even close to any Barca line up. But he is. Why?

Because enrique says so. Its a catastrophy really, every Barca player knows that a loyal la masia player is way better than some shady deal brazilian, and enrique somehow manages to put douglas before him. That is unbelivably bad for the group in general and the signal to the yougsters isnt good. Enrique should man up, leave disagreement beside, and start the better player.

Like I said in my original post, it is clear that Montoya is not playing for non-footballing reasons. Claiming anything on the contrary is ridiculous, and saying that LE should man up and not play Montoya is counter-intuitive. What if Montoya played last night and broke his leg? Then there's no way he is leaving in January, because nobody is going to buy an injured player, especially one who hasn't played at all in recent times (apart from us ;) ). Nobody knows what has happened or what has been said, because it's an internal matter. Montoya is on his way, that much is clear. I'm not saying Douglas is the saviour, or the solution, or even a good player. But constantly putting this guy down is tedious.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

You're simply assuming money is everything, here. Yes, it would be a fantastic experience for any footballer to play for Barca and train with some of the best players ever - however, life isn't that simple, and I'm fairly sure it'll be detrimental mentally that he is getting panned left, right and centre.
And you're assuming this gets to him. While it might, the compensation he is getting surely makes up for it. He would never(and I mean it) get to play in europe, if not for this crazy deal. Like many other players, he'd spend his life here in Brazil. I'm sure that is enough to make him happy. I only feel sorry for footballers when they have long-term or persisting injuries.

And let's not be naive here. He knew very well what he was getting into. He knows better than us he is not good enough for Barça.

Zangash

Banned

This shit is gonna be good. :lol:

Yes, Douglas is a very, very limited player. It's fairly apparent his transfer was shady, and he's here through "luck". I feel sorry for him as a footballer, and also as a person, because first and foremost, he is being absolutely crucified for putting in awful performances, and for being at the club. Everyone knows he's limited, he knows it too but every interview I've read with him he always comes across that his heart is 100% in it and he is putting in one hell of a shift.

He was also crucified for putting in terrible performances at his old club, based on what I've heard from damn near everyone who knew who he was before this garbage that was his signing. He simply isn't good enough for Barca. I don't see why you should feel sorry for him. If anything, you should feel sorry for Montoya, who has given his entire life to the club just so they could force him out in favor of a shit player not worthy of sharing the same locker room with him.

If Barcelona approached anybody on this forum to sign them, I can guarantee everyone would say yes. Comparing Douglas' situation to that of ISIS in the Middle East and other conflicts is nonsensical and just daft.

Which is why I'm wondering why you feel so sorry for him. He's getting to live the dream that you and I all would love to have but you feel bad for him? Also, you comprehended the Middle East and Isis comments very, very poorly. Saying you don't feel sorry for a soon-to-be millionaire who is going to be set for life because there are larger issues in the world doesn't mean you're comparing the two situations.

Also, crucifying Lucho over all of this is turning into the "in" thing to do it seems. Clearly there is an attitude problem with Montoya, or a contract issue, and these things happen in football. He's obviously on his way out, for one reason or another, and risking him getting injured when he could be off the wage bill and bring in a transfer fee is dangerous.

So letting him play at all is risking injury? What transfer fee will Montoya realistically bring us when he's benched in favor of a player who at his current skill level would have been cut prior to joining Barca B?

I know he is not flavour of the month by any means but Luis Enrique clearly isn't playing Montoya for non-footballing reasons, he is not that dim.

Really? Based on what? Because damn near everything I've seen from Lucho thus far tells me he is indeed that dim. One of the prime examples being playing Douglas instead of Montoya, because there is literally nothing that can be said to justify such an action.

Also, lambasting him for his comments on Douglas reeks of getting digs in wherever possible - he'd be shot down by the same people if he turned round and said Douglas was shit! Not to mention it'd be detrimental to the player's confidence, the squad integrity, and a total PR disaster.

As if the press matters. Mourinho doesn't give a shit about the press or what players the fans and pundits would like to see him play and he took the disgraced CL winner/dropouts and has essentially won the BPL before the season ended.

I blame the board AND puppet they installed, and I personally don't give a shit for Douglas either way, but this notion that we somehow hate him just by virtue of recognizing how incredibly awful he is and pointing it out is ridiculous.

B

Batman

Also, crucifying Lucho over all of this is turning into the "in" thing to do it seems. Clearly there is an attitude problem with Montoya, or a contract issue, and these things happen in football. He's obviously on his way out, for one reason or another, and risking him getting injured when he could be off the wage bill and bring in a transfer fee is dangerous..

And not playing Montoya is bad for the player and the club if we are trying to sell him.

I

instinct

The compensation he is getting surely makes up for it.

So every professional footballer is not allowed to be sad/unhappy when he gets money and cars?

I guess Messi shouldn't be unhappy with the current situation either because he gets money and free Audis. :(

F

Flavia

So every professional footballer is not allowed to be sad/unhappy when he gets money and cars?

I guess Messi shouldn't be unhappy with the current situation either because he gets money and free Audis. :(

Yes, let's compare Messi and douglas :lol:

As if douglas is getting unjustified criticism, or being persecuted for being the best player ever.

I don't know why is so hard to understand. Douglas won the lottery. He was never going to make it here, and he knew it very well. He would never be signed for a team this huge. His destiny was to be in some smaller team in Brazil, as sao paulo supporters were already fed up with him, and asking for his head. he'd probably end up in some midtable team here, like Goias. Or some other team in brazilian serie B. Instead, he was signed by FCB. He's living the dream, while undeserved. If there's anyone to be sorry about in all this mess, is Montoya. And only Montoya.

This was a prespotorous signing. A shameful one for a club like Barça. Maybe you think it's funny to serve as laughing stock for things like that, but I don't.

I

instinct

It seems you're not getting my point.

We signed a medicore (at best) player because of reasons we all don't know but it's clear as day that he wasn't signed for sporting reasons. How does a player like Douglas feel when a club like Barcelona calls you? You feel proud and there absolutely no chance that you would reject such an offer.
Douglas arrived and everyone bashed him before he even could play a game and hardly anyone gave him a chance. He kissed the Barca badge, talked about a dream while every Culé went crazy on the internet. Fair enough.
He played the first game vs Malaga and he wasn't good nor bad. He was nervous and didn't risk much -> Everyone went crazy and bashed him again although he wasn't even that bad. Yesterday, he had an awful game and the criticizm is fair, I don't disagree BUT
Why do people have to bash him everytime he touches a ball. He is a medicore player, he probably knows it but there is no reason to bash him as a player. He accepted an offer from us + we said that we scouted him for 2 years.
I'm 100% certain that he tries everything to impress us, that he gives his all to prove that he has at least a little chance here. Of course it's not enough but how unfair is it to insult and bash a player who desperately tries to impress and who gives his very best for the club. We nor he can't change the fact that he is medicore but he is at least trying. It's not his fault that he is here, it's the board's fault.

And of course you don't have anything productive to say about my comparison with Messi because in principle it's the same.
Why is Messi even unhapp? Why does he care about propaganda from Madrid? Why does he care about the current situation about the club?
To quote you: ''The compensation he is getting surel makes up for it.''
It's pretty shocking that so many people think that a few nice cars and money easily compensate everything in life. This guy is a footballer who receives hate every single day. He looks lost and desperate because it's impossible for him to prove everyone wrong but hey, at least he has an Audi. This way of thinking is beyond ridiculous and I've never expected that so many people think like that but Flavia, you're probably right. The enormous amount of hate is nothing compared to money and cars :)

Afro

This shit is gonna be good. :lol:

He was also crucified for putting in terrible performances at his old club, based on what I've heard from damn near everyone who knew who he was before this garbage that was his signing. He simply isn't good enough for Barca. I don't see why you should feel sorry for him. If anything, you should feel sorry for Montoya, who has given his entire life to the club just so they could force him out in favor of a shit player not worthy of sharing the same locker room with him.

See my last post. And you have no idea what the situation with Montoya is, anything otherwise is pure conjecture. Maybe MM is in fact a money grabbing bastard and his agent has made ridiculous demands regarding wages in a new contract? Who knows? If it were as simple as Montoya not being played because LE is being a headstrong prick, then I'd feel sorry for him, because he is a decent young player and should be playing. However, you just don't know. And all this hate on LE is getting a bit ridiculous, there is no way on Earth that LE is playing Douglas over Montoya for footballing reasons. It's basic deduction and logic.

Which is why I'm wondering why you feel so sorry for him. He's getting to live the dream that you and I all would love to have but you feel bad for him? Also, you comprehended the Middle East and Isis comments very, very poorly. Saying you don't feel sorry for a soon-to-be millionaire who is going to be set for life because there are larger issues in the world doesn't mean you're comparing the two situations.

Again, you're basing this purely on finances. Money isn't everything. If someone was consistently lambasting you at your job, it'd get a bit tiresome, and probably get annoying after a while, no? Should footballers' mental health be nothing more than a minor footnote because they're getting paid ridiculous sums of money compared to the average person?

So letting him play at all is risking injury? What transfer fee will Montoya realistically bring us when he's benched in favor of a player who at his current skill level would have been cut prior to joining Barca B?

It's obvious that the board are moving Montoya on come January, any risk of an injury should be avoided in their eyes because MM is a sellable asset, and also taking up space on the wage bill. And we all know how much this current board are obsessed with money.

Really? Based on what? Because damn near everything I've seen from Lucho thus far tells me he is indeed that dim. One of the prime examples being playing Douglas instead of Montoya, because there is literally nothing that can be said to justify such an action.

Good God, talk about an over-reaction. You're making out like LE is some clueless non-entity who has never approached professional football in his life. I will be the first to admit that the start to our season hasn't been great, despite our relatively good record. Our style of play leaves a lot to be desired and LE isn't all there tactically at the moment. But it's early days, this club has been spoiled by recent successes. Some things don't happen overnight. As for your point, see what I wrote above.

As if the press matters. Mourinho doesn't give a shit about the press or what players the fans and pundits would like to see him play and he took the disgraced CL winner/dropouts and has essentially won the BPL before the season ended.

Why the hell are you bringing Mourinho into this? :lol: The English media is nowhere near as intense as it is in Spain, and even at that, comparing the current situation to a manager with a notorious reputation of handling media pressure like he is sweeping dust off his jacket lapel is bizarre.

I blame the board AND puppet they installed, and I personally don't give a shit for Douglas either way, but this notion that we somehow hate him just by virtue of recognizing how incredibly awful he is and pointing it out is ridiculous.

Continuously pointing out how awful he is is just tiresome. Not aimed specifically at you by the way, more of a generalisation towards this thread. Yeah, everybody knows he is dog shit. Instead of bringing it up every time, taking a look at the shady activities of our illustrious board would be far more pro-active.

And not playing Montoya is bad for the player and the club if we are trying to sell him.

Well, judging by the latest rumours, he is off in January to England, Germany or Italy. Clubs who actually scout (nice dig at Zubi there) will remember the good performances he has put in when has played.

Chong Li

I can't believe there are people defending Douglas.

Nobody hates him as a person, he is just a poor, shitty player.

All the blame goes to the corrupt board & Zubi for signing and to Lucho for playing this joke of a footballer.

F

Flavia

It seems you're not getting my point.

We signed a medicore (at best) player because of reasons we all don't know but it's clear as day that he wasn't signed for sporting reasons. How does a player like Douglas feel when a club like Barcelona calls you? You feel proud and there absolutely no chance that you would reject such an offer.
Douglas arrived and everyone bashed him before he even could play a game and hardly anyone gave him a chance. He kissed the Barca badge, talked about a dream while every Culé went crazy on the internet. Fair enough.
He played the first game vs Malaga and he wasn't good nor bad. He was nervous and didn't risk much -> Everyone went crazy and bashed him again although he wasn't even that bad. Yesterday, he had an awful game and the criticizm is fair, I don't disagree BUT
Why do people have to bash him everytime he touches a ball. He is a medicore player, he probably knows it but there is no reason to bash him as a player. He accepted an offer from us + we said that we scouted him for 2 years.
I'm 100% certain that he tries everything to impress us, that he gives his all to prove that he has at least a little chance here. Of course it's not enough but how unfair is it to insult and bash a player who desperately tries to impress and who gives his very best for the club. We nor he can't change the fact that he is medicore but he is at least trying. It's not his fault that he is here, it's the board's fault.

And of course you don't have anything productive to say about my comparison with Messi because in principle it's the same.
Why is Messi even unhapp? Why does he care about propaganda from Madrid? Why does he care about the current situation about the club?
To quote you: ''The compensation he is getting surel makes up for it.''
It's pretty shocking that so many people think that a few nice cars and money easily compensate everything in life. This guy is a footballer who receives hate every single day. He looks lost and desperate because it's impossible for him to prove everyone wrong but hey, at least he has an Audi. This way of thinking is beyond ridiculous and I've never expected that so many people think like that but Flavia, you're probably right. The enormous amount of hate is nothing compared to money and cars :)

The principle is not the same. Not even close. Douglas doesn't have a history here, didn't play here all his life, starting from the bottom. If it was any other club, he'd be giving all the "100%" you think he gives. And he doesn't get hate every single day. He was basicly ignored here for quite a while. And money, in his situation, surely means a lot now. It would mean to anyone. He went from making 10 to 1.000.000. He knew very well he would never make it here. He came only for the money, and to live in europe. Or are you so naive you think there aren't players like that? That his dream was to be a star for FCB? Please.

I don't know where you get you "100% certainty" that he tries everything to impress anyone. I doubt he gives a shit about impressing fans, or anything of the sort. He is securing his family future. Nothing wrong with that, but this speech of "feeling sorry" is quite bizarre.

"He kissed the Barça badge" - really? That's an argument now? That was pure hipocrisy from him, to begin with. If you were fooled by that, and his speech, I'm sorry. He was trained to say and do that, and he surely didn't mean it. I'm surprised you thought any of that was true. He would had kissed any badge, and said the same things about any other top european team who were dumb enough to sign him.

Home of Barca Fans