Eden Hazard

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yeah I'm expecting that too, hopefully 3 seasons time when he's 27 and his price would be max. Hopefully can wring over 100m out from them.

One thing you have going for you is that he's not South American or Iberian. There's a tiny chance he'll tell RM to fuck off :lol:

serghei

He's better than his goal record suggests, though. It's like serghei says, he's more of a creator type, he doesn't play in a way where he gets himself into go shooting positions that often, so we really don't fully know how good he is at shooting, but tbh I think he should try to shoot more. I don't think he'd ever hit levels of averaging a goal a game, but I think hitting 25 a season(across all competitions) is very doable. He takes our penalties, but his record over the last 2 seasons are 17 in 49 and currently on 16 in 43 this season. It's not too shabby but he could do better, averaging a goal every 2 games would be pretty decent and he's not too far off it.

Maybe it also has to do with the way Chelsea plays. I haven't watched Chelsea a lot, but to me, you are one of the most rigid teams out there. Every player has a standard role. You won't see for example Costa making one-two's with Hazard. Or Matic doing that. Each player has limited responsabilities inside the team, and you rarely see one of Chelsea's players do something that's outside his role. Hazard can't score goals like Messi or Ronaldo if he's not part of a fluid system that could help him get in scoring positions. That means permutations of positions. See, if Hazard walks away from his spot to attack the box, somebody has to cover him. Then somebody has to cover the guy who covers Hazard. And you end up with fluid football, in which the positions are no longer fixed, but in constant movement. And the players are no longer reduced to a single role. Right now, you don't have players who could play in several areas of the field. Chelsea has few players like that.

Since you play with Costa a player with great goal instinct but rather poor link-up play, that pretty much means the purpose of the team is to feed Costa with as many useful balls as possible. Much like Milan was playing for Inzaghi, or Inter playing for Ibrahimovic. That's the standard idea of rigid football, fullbacks defend, midfielders create and strikers score.

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yeah that is part of it, Mourinho needs to be more flexible with his tactics. Sometimes I see players pass and run as if to do a one-two, but the other player will turn around and pass somewhere else. We're not great at moving the ball around at pace when trying to break teams down, we're too slow, it gives teams too much time to get back and set up a bus or at least a wall, and we lack the decisiveness to be able to break these teams down sometimes. I mean sometimes we are quick, but not often enough. The only time we're pretty good at pace is on the counter, but all of Mou's teams are like that.

It's really a problem we've always had, and while managers after Mourinho tried(and usually failed) to change the style, he's now back and so we're back to square one, but this time with players who can actually play nice, attractive football, so it makes us playing this way more frustrating to watch. I say we have to give him time, the team is still being built, it's not the ideal team that he'd want yet, that's evident, but at the same time if these problems continue to persist for years we may have to look at another manager. Hazard has been very good for most of the season but everybody knows he can do better, I think he should risk Mou's wrath and try to be a bit more brave with some of what he tries out.

BerkeleyBernie

He can't do much if the other players don't sing the same tune.

Exactly. Hazard is one of several players who would thrive in the link-up play ethic of Barcelona but are on teams where the structure or players don't fit that style of play. One major reason Iniesta looks poor this year, with only Busi and Alba on the same wavelength/level. Neymar, Mathieu, and Rakitic (and Mascherano playing as DM) are a big step down. Suarez, also; great with assists, but fairly sloppy touch in tight areas.

Co0ter

It's really a problem we've always had, and while managers after Mourinho tried(and usually failed) to change the style, he's now back and so we're back to square one, but this time with players who can actually play nice, attractive football, so it makes us playing this way more frustrating to watch. I say we have to give him time, the team is still being built, it's not the ideal team that he'd want yet, that's evident, but at the same time if these problems continue to persist for years we may have to look at another manager. Hazard has been very good for most of the season but everybody knows he can do better, I think he should risk Mou's wrath and try to be a bit more brave with some of what he tries out.

Cuadrado, Felipe Luiz, Diego Costa, Remy, Fabregas, Courtois, Drogba, Zouma....how does he NOT have the team he wants yet? Not to mention he already had Hazard at his disposal....which he is basically wasting away.

I guess he didn't have the players he needed at Real Madrid either....waka waka

Home of Barca Fans