Erling Haaland

KingLeo10

You see, when you guys go into detail, you all actually admit it started before Valverde (15/16, or 16/17 at the latest) but somehow the official version is to give all blame to Valverde....

They were already mentally years before EV took over.

If EV is as elite as you claim he is, why didn't he fix anything.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

You see, when you guys go into detail, you all actually admit it started before Valverde (15/16, or 16/17 at the latest) but somehow the official version is to give all blame to Valverde....

They were already mentally frail years before EV took over.

Loosing although having a 3 goals lead from first leg started in roma though :p

serghei

A CL in 15/16 and another CL in 18/19 and we would presently be sitting as the greatest club in the history of the sport.

Fine margins I know, and there always are. But, just think if our top players had given that little bit more blood...and some better management than terrorist Barto...

Players don't handle themselves on their own. They are more or less forced to by people with more power than them.

Look at Foden and Grealish fooling around midseason. Pep stepped in big time and will go as far as letting Grealish go if he feels the locker room will degrade.

Yea... people will say I'm obsessed with Pep, but moment zero was losing Guardiola. He doesn't have any issues with staying long in one place it seems, as long as he is given power over the squad.

The moment things go out of hand with behavior and discipline, you lose it.

Morten

If EV is as elite as you claim he is, why didn't he fix anything.

He did fix things.

He took over a worse squad than what Enrique had, and performed about as well as Enrique did domestically, despite that fact.

Roma was admittedly a fuck-up, Liverpool not really when you look at chances over both games.

KingLeo10

He did

4-1
3-0

Is elite results

PSG, Atletico, Juve clean sheets hurt us alot

After that was up to defence to steady the ship

EV can't get credit for 3-0 and 4-1 but players get the blame for 0-3 and 0-4.

Either players get the blame for 0-3, 0-4 AND praise for 3-0, 4-1 OR EV gets both the praise and the blame...which again means he is average/above average.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Either players get the blame for 0-3, 0-4 AND 3-0 AND 4-1 or EV gets both the praise and the blame...which again means he is average/above average.

Works both ways.

Folk claim players won first leg v Liverpool and EV fucked up second also.

For me it is on EV and his set up more than players v Roma then v Liverpool there it is fairly even and Barca were on a par with Liverpool in overall play and individuals won/lost it over both legs.

Messigician

Either players get the blame for 0-3, 0-4 AND 3-0 AND 4-1 or EV gets both the praise and the blame...which again means he is average/above average.

Look at it this way.

Valverde's domestic dominance showed his consistency

The away league outliers are just that

Mats was formerly consistent

Umtiti had a one off disasterclass after a world class at season during Roma

XG shows we were the better side at each of the legs we lost.

Individual errors hurt the team, Rakitic, Alba etc made characteristic mistakes.

Compare the luck Madrid had, multiple offside goals against bayern, Navas going GOAT mode.

The last minute penalty against Juve etc

Did we have any luck? Any at all? The exact opposite

So I am VERY hesitant to blame Valverde while I do give him coins due to his domestic dominance

Look at it this way

Real Madrid won UCL in 2018

But were spanked by Valverde, so he clearly has the ability to win the champions league based on that alone

Messigician

Midfield in 2016 was more than fine. Things went south with Neymar turning into a playmaker and Messi deciding that playing RW for 1 season was good enough.

Not really, we were even more dominant domestically in 2015/2016

The issues were team coasted in Atletico away when should have played out of their minds for back to back treble

KingLeo10

Midfield in 2016 was more than fine. Things went south with Neymar turning into a playmaker and Messi deciding that playing RW for 1 season was good enough.

That was Suarez's best season in the CL too (he was the only threat v AM), slightly better than a very good 14/15.

Dude has been absolutely useless in the competition since then, but Neymar and Messi pulled off a R10 and Deco 07/08 level retirement job in terms of the effort and the level of clownery (tactics-wise) they produced.

Neymar as we've come to find out is hopeless and 14/15 was actually the exception to his self-destructiveness...

Messi 15/16 and 17/18 is the only two times I've been genuinely mad at him in the CL (could argue 13/14 too but I give him a slight pass because he was trying to avoid injury for the WC against the AM thugs). No excuses for 15/16 though. It would have changed the dynamic of football history if we did back to back trebles and RM's golden era in CL never took off.

Home of Barca Fans