Erling Haaland

Birdy

Why? The Premier League is hyped a lot and currently the best league in the world, but this doesn't change the fact that Barca and Real are still the biggest clubs in the world. Majority of top players likes to play in England, but Barca and Real can financially compete with their salaries. Few of these top players get the chance to play for Barca and Real. Hardly anyone of these players reject these two clubs if the offer is tempting.

Haaland also has individual dreams and La Liga is a proven ground for winning Ballon d'Or and Golden Boot. This might be inflated through the dominance of Messi and CR in the last decade, but the chance of having a duel with Mbappe and competing for these individual glories besides competing for national and international titles might be very tempting for Camp Haaland. Haaland is still very young and can sign two fat 5y-contracts in the next 10 years. Moving to Spain first might be the smarter choice as it is the easier league compared to the PL but also the next step after Bundesliga. After 4, 5 years Haaland can decide if he wants to become a franchise player in Spain or if he takes the challenge of the Premier League. He'll be 26, 27 by then, having his "best years" still ahead of him with way more experience than he has now. Haaland could've went right away to United after RBS but he has made the smart decision and taken the next step rather than taking the biggest paycheck and the challenge that PL is. He is planning his career smartly.

Last but not least, of course weather is a factor too if you give importance to it. Especially being a top player with 4, 5 big clubs wanting you, you have the luxury of factoring in things like lifestyle. Here is a recent example of a top player preferring good weather:
[tw]1470466684523851780[/tw]
"It's often bad weather there," he said. "Of course it's about football, but it does matter.
"Of course I know that Barcelona needs money and a great offer for Frenkie could help, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Although, five top European clubs have all called.
"They [De Jong and his partner Mikky] are having such a great time in Barcelona. Life is great there. I'm there often. Even now you are in the sun with 16 degrees."

IMO there is 0 rational or logical motivation for a top notch wonderkid like Haaland, with the potential to become the new CR or that level, to choose not the currently best league (EPL) in the world, not the best team (City) in the world, not the best coach (Pep) in the world.

But, of course, not all decisions made by humans are rational or logical.
Emotion and impulse play a big role. See Mbabe wants to join the current declined RM just because it's his childhood dream.
Weather and life is also another 'external' factor in these decisions.

All in all, we have to rely on emotional and external factors, because sporting-wise we don't stand a chance

topt

it really doesnt; he could only win with Messi or if he has more money than all the others; he cant win big games

Mateka

I have to say as a bayern fan Guardiola is the most overrated manager of all times

He could answer for himself, but he’s too busy polishing cups and medals, reading fan mail from those who love the football he produces.

topt

He could answer for himself, but he’s too busy polishing cups and medals, reading fan mail from those who love the football he produces.

well, we at bayern certainly didnt like the football he produced, comparing him to Flick or Nagelsmanns football watching Pep was a good way to go to sleep

Windhook

it really doesnt; he could only win with Messi or if he has more money than all the others; he cant win big games

What matters is to make your team click and Pep does that. Success will follow. PSG has more money but haven't seen them play as a team, just individuals and they have achieved nothing.

"... more money that others" hehe. No wonder no serious manager in their prime, who's achieved greatness, hasn't taken a job at clubs like Levante, Augsburg or even Dinamo Moscow. Get real. Everyone wants to stay competitive, prime example is Mourinho who fell from grace in recent years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Pep has always been controversial in Germany and among Bayern fans, many didn't like him since day 1 (they don't like outsiders), but the Bayern top brass loved him.

At bayern the only barometer for success is winning the CL and since he couldn't deliver it, there you go.

FinBarcelonafan

Pep has always been controversial in Germany and among Bayern fans, many didn't like him since day 1 (they don't like outsiders), but the Bayern top brass loved him.

At bayern the only barometer for success is winning the CL and since he couldn't deliver it, there you go.

They probably have less tolerance for Spanish coaches anyway.

Windhook

They probably have less tolerance for Spanish coaches anyway.

I fully understand fans point of view after Heynckes great season and first retirement, but hey, the Bayern legends at helm decided to bring Pep from his sabbatical in New York to start a Barca-like project. It was their dream to play with the intensity we had in that 4-0 against Bayern in 2008/09 run. In the long term the club succeeded, nonetheless, Bayern's glorious squad core is based on players Pep had coached and selected for 3 years. Subsequently Pep adapted his style to Premier League, no City fan has fallen asleep as far I remember since he went to Manchester.

topt

Its not true we didnt appreciate him since day one but the endless passing game with no end was boring as hell, combine that with some heavy losses cause he didnt want to adapt his playstyle and there you have it; also Beckenbauer didnt like him

Last edited:

topt

I fully understand fans point of view after Heynckes great season and first retirement, but hey, the Bayern legends at helm decided to bring Pep from his sabbatical in New York to start a Barca-like project. It was their dream to play with the intensity we had in that 4-0 against Bayern in 2008/09 run. In the long term the club succeeded, nonetheless, Bayern's glorious squad core is based on players Pep had coached and selected for 3 years. Subsequently Pep adapted his style to Premier League, no City fan has fallen asleep as far I remember since he went to Manchester.

well no wonder, those guys have never seen a good coach before but still I would check bluemoon forum after some of those CL loses

topt

What matters is to make your team click and Pep does that. Success will follow. PSG has more money but haven't seen them play as a team, just individuals and they have achieved nothing.

"... more money that others" hehe. No wonder no serious manager in their prime, who's achieved greatness, hasn't taken a job at clubs like Levante, Augsburg or even Dinamo Moscow. Get real. Everyone wants to stay competitive, prime example is Mourinho who fell from grace in recent years.

They have achived as much as Pep since he resigned from Barca, domestic titles.

In the end this "he wants to play for Pep" is crap in my opinion just as much as he "wants to play with Messi".

Windhook

They have achived as much as Pep since he resigned from Barca, domestic titles.

In the end this "he wants to play for Pep" is crap in my opinion just as much as he "wants to play with Messi".

"Wants to play with Messi" was a real thing as you know yourself. The club signed a ton of disloyal players who arrived at Camp Nou just to play along Messi. The greatest example being Neymar.

Home of Barca Fans