Erling Haaland

BBZ8800

After some thinking, I figured out that he is not the right fit for us.

1. He is too fast
2. He is too tall and offers an aerial presence, and we hate that
3. Also, he likes to score a goal right after he gets the ball, while we like to make 300 sideway passes before attempting a sterile shot.

We'll need to pass on him.
Braithwaite, Rodrigo and Lautaro will be much better for our granny slow style where the aim is NOT to score a goal.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Barcelona will be fine. The same dip that Madrid are experiencing but it’s not like they will suddenly stop attracting top players.

I am not too sure if we will be fine.

Sporting-wise we are already struggling to challenge (neck to neck at best) a Real Madrid side in transition (and without their army of starlet loanees returning yet) with Messi still playing for us, imagine what we will do in the immediate few years after Messi is gone, especially when we don't have that many promising young players lining up to fill the shoes. Perhaps we will even struggle to retain our CL spot immediately after Messi is gone. We might have to fight for the third or fourth place in La Liga.

Finance-wise we are already laden with huge debt (all liabilities amount to over 1 billion euros) and we are in the process of finalizing another loan of 815 for the Espai Barca project. Without Messi and when our result on the pitch dip (it is a matter of when, not if), our match-day, TV and prize money as well as sponsorship and merchandise money will all suffer significantly. That means we will have less money to attract and buy players. Sure some players might still want to play for us but money talks in general and without money, we won't attract top players.

There is genuinely a danger of us becoming like Milan.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
After some thinking, I figured out that he is not the right fit for us.

1. He is too fast
2. He is too tall and offers an aerial presence, and we hate that
3. Also, he likes to score a goal right after he gets the ball, while we like to make 300 sideway passes before attempting a sterile shot.

We'll need to pass on him.
Braithwaite, Rodrigo and Lautaro will be much better for our granny slow style where the aim is NOT to score a goal.

A serious question, do you see us seriously ditching possession-based football or at least play more like Dortmund and do you see Haaland thriving in possession-based football?

serghei

A serious question, do you see us seriously ditching possession-based football or at least play more like Dortmund and do you see Haaland thriving in possession-based football?

No reason why Haaland can't thrive in possession based football. It's the midfielders who have issues adapting usually. Great strikers adapt more easily. If Suarez who has a rather poor technique and pass and is overweight for a couple of seasons can score a lot, Haaland would score for fun with the service we can provide to him.

Besides, Dortmund do have possession and play on the front foot vs the majority of teams. I don't imagine Dortmund giving the ball to Padderborn and sitting back. They attack and dominate and win. Imagine we would have the speed and fitness of Dortmund with the superior technique of our players. We'd be deadly.

65% possession for Dortmund vs Frankfurt down the weekend in the 4-0 win. How is that much different than our 68-70%? The difference is they are faster, more energetic and better prepared, so they risk more with their passing. Whereas our slowness and poor preparation means we have to be more safe with our passing, more concerned with losing the ball. But this is something we need to correct by rejuvenating this team, getting rid of the old players who can't sustain the rhythm anymore and bringing back pressing, speed and intensity.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No reason why Haaland can't thrive in possession based football. It's the midfielders who have issues adapting usually. Great strikers adapt more easily.

Just saying most of the goals I have seen him scoring (I reckon that I haven't seen everything certainly and obviously) had to do with some sort of counter attack situation where he utilized his pace and his ability to beat defenders covering him while running, not something that our forwards typically do and face in our games.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No reason why Haaland can't thrive in possession based football. It's the midfielders who have issues adapting usually. Great strikers adapt more easily. If Suarez who has a rather poor technique and pass and is overweight for a couple of seasons can score a lot, Haaland would score for fun with the service we can provide to him.

Besides, Dortmund do have possession and play on the front foot vs the majority of teams. I don't imagine Dortmund giving the ball to Padderborn and sitting back. They attack and dominate and win. Imagine we would have the speed and fitness of Dortmund with the superior technique of our players. We'd be deadly.

65% possession for Dortmund vs Frankfurt down the weekend in the 4-0 win. How is that much different than our 68-70%? The difference is they are faster, more energetic and better prepared, so they risk more with their passing. Whereas our slowness and poor preparation means we have to be more safe with our passing, more concerned with losing the ball. But this is something we need to correct be rejuvenating this team, getting rid of the old players who can't sustain the rhythm anymore and bringing back pressing, speed and intensity.

Overall I agree, especially the part about the need for us to rejuvenate our team and the way we play.

I don't agree that Suarez has poor techniques though. He has regressed as he aged today but his techniques were by no means poor.

serghei

Just saying most of the goals I have seen him scoring (I reckon that I haven't seen everything certainly and obviously) had to do with some sort of counter attack situation where he utilized his pace and his ability to beat defenders covering him while running, not something that our forwards typically do and face in our games.

He'd be what Ibrahimovic was supposed to be when Pep got him. Brings assets to us which are vital in possession and counters. Imagine us being able to play past the opponent's pressing wave on somebody like Haaland insted of Griezmann. Target men with good technique, speed, and good passing are very rare, and ultra useful in virtually every setup imaginable.

serghei

Fati - Haaland - Sancho in 3-4 years would be a dream for me.

Haaland
Fati/Griezmann - Messi - Sancho in a 4-3-2-1 until Messi retires.

Espacio

his release clause is 70m€ if i remember right
in world football daily marketing if you want to buy a top class striker you should pay min. 100-120m€
so we don't have any chance to miss that guy next season

every big club must have 3 stirker so we will have to own Suarez, Braithwaite, Haaland in 2020/2021 season

El Gato

Villarato!
So news is he copied Ronaldo’s diet in effort to be a great player. What’d ya reckon is a likelihood he prefers Real Madrid over Barcelona?

:p

KingLeo10

Didn't say that...

But I mean... Do you?
And if you do.. knowing he idolises Ronaldo. Do you reckon he liked Barca growing up?

No to Raiola.

Regarding Halaand, he's definitely more of a RM type player than a Barca type player...even before the CR7 diet bit comes into the picture.

Still would love to see him here but my intuition is he's going to be a journeyman in the mould of Ibra.

El Gato

Villarato!
I think so too. I don't think he'll set foot in Spain until he's old.

In fact, unless a player really really identifies with either club's badge, the new pool of talents will want to go England and make a new trend. I think many of these new generation players are sick of hearing about Real or Barcelona and they'll only sign if they're contrarians and don't feel like being edgelords by disliking us is their thing.

Home of Barca Fans