Erling Haaland

JamDav1982

The biggest part of missing out on Haaland is the huge drop to anyone else available at CF.

Would be as well signing another winger and letting Auba, Fati and Torres cover it when look at some of names being suggested.

Givenchy

The biggest part of missing out on Haaland is the huge drop to anyone else available at CF.

Would be as well signing another winger and letting Auba, Fati and Torres cover it when look at some of names being suggested.

If he's adamant on a short term contract, this might be the best move. Next season, Haaland or not, we aren't winning the CL imo. Although promising, we are a young team lacking experience.

Rebuild continues regardless and more young talents will emerge over the next few seasons

Joan

2 year contract is a joke, like he's an oldie about to retire. 5 y. contract with a 150m clause after the third year sounds better.

jamrock

3 year contracts are kinda what NBA players are doing started with LeBron it's smart to bet on yourself that way, if I were a professional athlete that was at the top of my game, I would never sign anything longer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
3 year contracts are kinda what NBA players are doing started with LeBron it's smart to bet on yourself that way, if I were a professional athlete that was at the top of my game, I would never sign anything longer.

Sure....if you're a free agent.

No team is going to pay a high transfer fee, a high commission to a player's agent and a high salary to a player only for him to have a two or three year contract. It makes absolutely no sense.

Haaland is not going to get a short-term contract anywhere unless he runs out his contract at Dortmund. No team is insane enough to agree to that. Now a 150m buyout clause after his second or third year would be more viable. If he want out and can find a team to pay 150m in cash for him then sure. Do whatever you want.

jamrock

Sure....if you're a free agent.

No team is going to pay a high transfer fee, a high commission to a player's agent and a high salary to a player only for him to have a two or three year contract. It makes absolutely no sense.

Haaland is not going to get a short-term contract anywhere unless he runs out his contract at Dortmund. No team is insane enough to agree to that. Now a 150m buyout clause after his second or third year would be more viable. If he want out and can find a team to pay 150m in cash for him then sure. Do whatever you want.

All valid points

malvolio

All valid points

not only that. but those are two different sports with different talent pools and economics.

nba teams have bigger turnover than most top football clubs. and they don't pay in cash for players, so no need to have 200M as transfer budget to build a team.

there aren't many basketball players around so talent pool is limited. hence bigger salaries for the top players. even more so when there are no transfer fees involved.

khaled_a_d

NBA players are under salary cap and can not ask for their true market value (Lebron and KD were worth more than what they get). Footballers can ask for what they deserve and more, in addition to sign-in bonus, agent commission (NBA players pay 4% of salary to their agents).
And then, NBA players can be traded without permission, with no transfer fee. Unlike football.
Lastly, you bet the likes of Oladipo, Schroeder, Noel, Shabzz Mohamed regret on betting on themselves and leaving a total of around half billion dollar on the table.
Halaand atm is closer to being Oladipo than Lebron, 2 more years of injuries and he can glush those demands in the toilet. He won't sign 2 years and leave granted money

malvolio

regarding haaland wanting a short contract - it's bullshit. no club will agree to that.

because the whole financial push to get him wouldn't be worth it if he leaves after 3 seasons. also, the media circus around his contract expiring will begin after completing his first season.

regarding him wanting 150M release clause - it's bullshit. no elite club signs to that.

prices in the transfer market are only going up. so his value would be beyond that 150M. dortmund or ajax or another "medium" club would agree to that. top clubs don't do that, even more so in the current market.

serghei

That's what we should do. From Haaland to Schick or what I've read... no no.

If we don't get Haaland, Liverpool's and City's front three types is the way to go. Mobile hard-working players who are able to complement and link up quickly.

I'd sign Raphinha from Leeds personally.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

NBA players are under salary cap and can not ask for their true market value (Lebron and KD were worth more than what they get). Footballers can ask for what they deserve and more, in addition to sign-in bonus, agent commission (NBA players pay 4% of salary to their agents).
And then, NBA players can be traded without permission, with no transfer fee. Unlike football.
Lastly, you bet the likes of Oladipo, Schroeder, Noel, Shabzz Mohamed regret on betting on themselves and leaving a total of around half billion dollar on the table.
Halaand atm is closer to being Oladipo than Lebron, 2 more years of injuries and he can glush those demands in the toilet. He won't sign 2 years and leave granted money

Yes and only the biggest stars have signed those one year contracts in the NBA. That too towards the later stages of their careers.

Messi983

If can't get Haaland I think we should look for a cheap young striker available for around 10-15m. It's a shame Granada have signed Arezo but I still like the looks of Agustin Alvarez.

He's on radar of many European clubs so their scouts also must see something they like. Raw and probably not ready yet but give him a good look in preseason, if Xavi thinks he's not ready loan him to get European experience, otherwise keep Auba/Ferran as a starting #9 but give the kid enough minutes to develop. If he'd agree to that can even register him for Barca B so he'd play there regularly when wouldn't get into the first team plans. Probably not the best talent we can get but looking at his highlights I can see some of that Suarez mentality that could lead him to have a better career than guys who are maybe more talented technically or more athletic.

Hopefully we'll get lucky and sign the next great Uruguayan striker for cheap. If not we can almost surely recuperate most money invested in him if not sell for profit.

Surely there are other similar options too but I think this are the type of players we should target if we don't get Haaland, not overpay for likes of Schick or Isak (I actually like him but for 20-30m not 70m).

JamDav1982

That's what we should do. From Haaland to Schick or what I've read... no no.

If we don't get Haaland, Liverpool's and City's front three types is the way to go. Mobile hard-working players who are able to complement and link up quickly.

I'd sign Raphinha from Leeds personally.

Apparently Raphinha has 20m release clause if Leeds go down.

Be a fair bit of competition for him but Brazilians love Barca and the beach.

JamDav1982

regarding haaland wanting a short contract - it's bullshit. no club will agree to that.

because the whole financial push to get him wouldn't be worth it if he leaves after 3 seasons. also, the media circus around his contract expiring will begin after completing his first season.

regarding him wanting 150M release clause - it's bullshit. no elite club signs to that.

prices in the transfer market are only going up. so his value would be beyond that 150M. dortmund or ajax or another "medium" club would agree to that. top clubs don't do that, even more so in the current market.

If the deciding factor on Haaland signing was a 150m release clause after 2/3 years the club would do it to get him in.

Obviously it would be an achievable but expensive price for him otherwise would be no point in Haaland asking for it.

Having 150m paid for Haaland after 2/3 years is better situation than never having him and have to look at how much more he could bring in if go longer in CL, win league and endorsements as well.

All that assumes he would leave and not fall in love with city/club and want to stay also.

Last edited:

Messi983

If the deciding factor on Haaland signing was a 150m release clause after 2/3 years the club would do it to get him in.

Obviously it would be an achievable but expensive price for him otherwise would be no point in Haaland asking for it.

Having 150m paid for Haaland after 2/3 years is better situation than never having him and have to look at how much more he could bring in if go longer in CL, win league and endorsements as well.

All that assumes he would leave and not fall in love with city/club and want to stay also.

Yeah, was thinking the same. Low clause would let doors open for him to leave but also to negotiate a new contract at the club. If we'll have a competitive team (which we should with Haaland and amount of young talent already at the club) in 2-3 years he could just as well be happy enough to renew for 3-4 more years and then possibly leave to EPL when 28 or so.

If everything goes like planned we'll also move back to a renovated Camp Nou in 2025 so I'm sure he'd want to play there at least one season and Laporta would surely do everything to keep him for that first season on Nou Camp Nou as well.

Home of Barca Fans