Erling Haaland

Temptation

Most Galactico club is PSG and they are the joke of Europe. Most successful clubs are City, Liverpool, and Bayern in the last 3-4 years. City for all their spending is going for a deep squad without a single Galactico type player.

:lol: Who is Galactico in City? Mahrez, Sterling, Foden, Jesus? :lol: Please...
Both Bayern and Liverpool have standout star players.

Even Chelsea and Tuchel intended to get in a star player Lukaku who flopped badly in hindsight.

Two seasons back, City often used to look toothless without KDB.

JamDav1982

Real won 4 of 5 CLs with most expensive 2 players in the world when signed.

Barca won last CL and treble with MSN.

Folk seem to forget these examples of star players and success they can bring and focus on everyone else.

Both can work and both can fail.

Mbappe will make Real worse? Mbappe and Haaland makes them worse again? Of course not.

The deal wont fail due to Barca walking away because of money.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying the question is uncertain and we can't afford to spend 250-300m to find the answer for it. Not after two massive, historical failures.

I don't disagree with that.

I'd love to have him obviously as I'd see more Barcelona coverage here in Norway too with him here, but there is a legitimate discussion to be had about what it could cost signing him medium to long-term.

Man City don't care as we all know who they're owned by, but for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich.

We have to think differently.

But we need a World Class player either way. If not Haaland then someone else. Need a World Class #9.

serghei

Both Bayern and Liverpool have standout star players.

Even Chelsea and Tuchel intended to get in a star player Lukaku who flopped badly in hindsight.

Two seasons back, City often used to look toothless without KDB.

And we can have standout star players like them too. Developed under a fruitful working setup, not bought. Sign Raphina, put in him a top-performing team, and watch him become the new Sadio Mane. Maybe even better.

You are a Liverpool fan aren't you? If we compare our rebuild with Liverpool's under Klopp (same situation as Xavi, signed in the middle of the season for a new project), they finished 8th in EPL (or something like that), and lost EL final vs Sevilla.

That's what I'm saying. We are securing an environment that, if cared for, will produce and develop players at a fast rate. Right president, right manager, young supertalents, proper tactics, ambition, intensity, tactics, meritocracy, veterans on board rather than slacking off, you name it. We are going up and can grow as a team.

I personally never imagined this season that we'll beat Madrid 4-0. Crazy...

Last edited:

DonAK

I doubt Haaland will be the only World Class #9 in the world that isn't 30+ by 2024. Someone else will surely pop up or develop into one. All it means is that it could take a bit longer for us to get there, but as long as we're patient and building it's fine.

Temptation

Barcelona bought stars without thinking how they'll fit in tactically like Griezmann, Coutinho.

PSG buy players only based on name. They have washed up superstars like Ramos, Messi, Neymar. That never helps.

United have done similar. They got Ronaldo, Varane who are both past it.

These model fail because of their flawed team planning. Not just because the players they bought are superstars. You can always get in the right superstars for your team and prosper.

It has worked wonders for Madrid in the past.

Chelsea famously spent a shotload last to last summer. Once they got the right manager in, they won the CL.

Joan

He's insanely talented and it's not only obvious in Bundes but also in Europe (keep in mind what kind of a team he plays for). Whether he is a generational talent or has all time great potential is a matter for another (irrelevant if I may say) discussion. And frankly, quite American. Who gives a fuck about that? He would be a massive improvement for any team atm and would be stupid to miss that train. Of course, for a club like Barca some things won't be financially feasible.

Injuries are also a legit concern. In fact, the biggest one.

We're not getting him either way so let's move on. But makes no sense to lie to ourselves saying he's not good enough and some kind of a big risk small reward transfer for various reasons when he's the exact opposite.

Temptation

I doubt Haaland will be the only World Class #9 in the world that isn't 30+ by 2024. Someone else will surely pop up or develop into one. All it means is that it could take a bit longer for us to get there, but as long as we're patient and building it's fine.

Vlahovic for starters......

Already nearly world class.

DonAK

Yup, and there will be others.

Darwin Nunez and Jonathan David for example. One of them could easily make that jump in 2023.

Or maybe it will be someone else. We'll see...

serghei

I want us to have a go with something like Ferran - Ansu - Raphinha. It's not a conservative trio, and some types of crosses won't work, but you can play around with that.

I have doubts about how much pressing can you do with someone that is a big no9. You are going to see a decrease in that over 90 mins imo.

serghei

I thought so too at first, watching just bits and pieces. But watching full match of Juventus - Villareal, he's not doing much press. Rests a lot off the ball. More suited to Italian football than what we're trying to build.

Look at Chelsea with Werner vs Lukaku. For all his goofs in finishing, Chelsea played better football with Werner's work rate and mobility than with Lukaku's pure 9 abilities. Why? Because Werner runs more, tracks back more, covers more passing lanes, and basically sacrifices himself and lends himself fully to what is asked of him in all aspects of play. Let me put it this way. If Werner has goalscoring instincts, he's top 3 in his position worldwide easily.

While Lukaku thinks of himself as a star-like player.

Last edited:

Temptation

And we can have standout star players like them too. Developed under a fruitful working setup, not bought. Sign Raphina, put in him a top-performing team, and watch him become the new Sadio Mane. Maybe even better.

You are a Liverpool fan aren't you? If we compare our rebuild with Liverpool's under Klopp (same situation as Xavi, signed in the middle of the season for a new project), they finished 8th in EPL (or something like that), and lost EL final vs Sevilla.

That's what I'm saying. We are securing an environment that, if cared for, will produce and develop players at a fast rate. Right president, right manager, young supertalents, proper tactics, ambition, intensity, tactics, meritocracy, veterans on board rather than slacking off, you name it. We are going up and can grow as a team.

I personally never imagined this season that we'll beat Madrid 4-0. Crazy...

That model only works for supercoaches like Pep and Klopp where they're the star of the show.

Xavi is still a long way away from that level. The jury is still very much out for that level.

Even Liverpool are extremely dependent on pur 75 mil signing VVD and our 70 mil signing Allison. Without VVD, we genuinely becone a top 4 PL team.

But I see your point about Haaland and what you mean.

Joan

Haaland will likely be the standout 9 of his generation. In the generation before, we had more great strikers who were closer in level but not the best in the world. This generation could be different. But good and great 9s are bound to pop up. Vlaho if for starters, Nunez could grow into one etc.

Barca is lucky with Auba whose legs are still there and can hopefully play at this level for one more season. Our attack should be good for next season when we sort out our RW situation. Either we keep Dembele or signing another starter there. Raphinha or someone else.

Home of Barca Fans