Ernesto Valverde - V1

JamDav1982

Come on man give it a break . This logic . Without Messi being influential how many Cl tie did we won in the past except QSG comeback ?

Messi was influential to that CL win. Simple as that.

without him being influential means like the way he contributed in 2009 and 2011 . Yeah i know i didn't conveyed it better . I do have language issues . Anyway i didn't meant that he wasn't influential at all

Haha ok if that what you have changed it to but he did have influence. Simple as that.

You can argue the degree of that all you like.

Where? Must have written something wrong.

No I read it wrong and deleted it.

RMU ReBorn

This overrating of shitty :facepalm: . Quality of premier league is shit these days and all it takes is to have a world class midfield to run away with that title

Haha ok if that what you have changed it to but he did have influence. Simple as that.

You can argue the degree of that all you like.

Nop i didn't changed it . I meant that only . Already told that i couldn't convey it better

serghei

This overrating of shitty :facepalm: . Quality of premier league is shit these days and all it takes is to have a world class midfield to run away with that title

It's true that they have a weaker defense that hasn't been tested at all, but offensively, they're one of the best teams out there. I think they could pull something off vs Liverpool. It's not done.

JamDav1982

It's true that they have a weaker defense that hasn't been tested at all, but offensively, they're one of the best teams out there. I think they could pull something off vs Liverpool. It's not done.

They could score three but hard to see them keeping a clean sheet more than anything.

Their defence has been tested though. Liverpool put 4 by them in last game and even league game City won 5-0 Liverpool were better team until red card.

We put 3 past Real away. Not really relevant.

None before the red, though.

City did score before the red. So did Barca.

serghei

We put 3 past Real away. Not really relevant.

None before the red.

Well they really screwed the pooch by not scoring 1 goal away vs Liverpool. 1-3 loss and they would've been very much in it with good chances to go through. Still, not done. Liverpool ain't the most mentally stable team out there either.

Joan

City did score before the red. So did Barca.

Was refering to City game, mea culpa. Remember Pool looked better before the red.

Well they really screwed the pooch by not scoring 1 goal away vs Liverpool. 1-3 loss and they would've been very much in it with good chances to go through. Still, not done. Liverpool ain't the most mentally stable team out there either.
They can be stopped and I'd say it's not even that hard.

Not only that they didn't score but they had zero shots on goal.

The reason we're winning games by bigger margins than a prototypical defensive minded team would is because we have the greatest of all time playing for us in Messi. He is singlehandedly able to create goals from nothing every match. We're playing as defensive as a team like Barca with the players we have could.

This is exactly how Mourinho would set his team out to play if he had a player like Messi. Even Mourinho couldn't kill Madrid offensively in his stint there. Keep in mind Mourinho's Madrid side were no slouches going forward and had one of the most deadly counters in recent times. Mourinho as defensive minded of a coach he is, when he was given a team with Ronaldo at his absolute peak his Madrid had no troubles scoring at all. In fact in 2 of his 3 seasons with Madrid (10/11 and 11/12) Mou's Madrid outscored Pep's Barca. Going by the logic of some people here the aforementioned would indicate Mourinho was a better attacking manager than Pep and I don't think a single person could argue that was case.

Mourinho's Madrid also reached the CL semis in all three of his seasons with Madrid only losing to Bayern on penalties and the best team ever in 10/11. He lost the title in 2010 despite earning 92 points. His Madrid team won the league in 2012 by a record 100 points and smashed many records on their way there. They eventually broke down and Mou passed his expiration date in 12/13 where his Madrid got exposed by Dortmund and only managed to accrue 85 points. You could argue Mourinho could've won a CL and one more league if not for the best Barca ever in 10/11.

The people laughing off the Mourinho-Valverde comparisons need to get real. Mourinho would coach similar to the way Valverde is if he was our manager and Valverde would coach similarly to Mourinho if he was with United.

Valverde has proven to be a defensive coach throughout his career, but Messi is Messi so we still score goals fairly easily. Mourinho has proven to be a defensive coach throughout his career but Ronaldo is Ronaldo so Madrid were still able to score easily in his time there. That doesn't change the fact that both coaches are both inherently defense and safety first.

RMU ReBorn

The reason we were winning was because we had greatest of all time . Not because of Villa and Pedro .

Defensive mindset is when you are scared of giving away the possession and hence hogging the ball in midfield with no intent or the Mou's way of parking the bus . Mou even used pepe as a Dm against Barca . :lol:

JamDav1982

EV is not even close to defensive first coach.

He has different approaches for different games and Barca still play some of the best attacking football in the world.

All this about Messi being the only reason team attacks well is utter bollocks and it has been shown before that every player ever needs a platform to perform. Messi included.

Barcas front line dont press enough and midfield is too slow/old to press for 90 mins and EV has found a decent balance so far.

Last edited:
EV is not even close to defensive first coach.

He has different approaches for different games and Barca still play some of the best attacking football in the world.

All this about Messi being the only reason team attacks well is utter bollocks and it has been shown before that every player ever needs a platform to perform. Messi included.

He is as defense first as a coach for Barcelona could be. That much is clear.

Now try to stay on topic and respond to my argument.

No need to derail the thread again.

RMU ReBorn

Rijkaard , Lucho , Valverde , Vaan Gaal all managed Barca and has done so many good things for us . No one is without flaws . But still few spoiled purists think that Man shitty way is the only style of attacking football left in Europe

Home of Barca Fans