Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

hmmm today matches dont look exciting, dont think Austria will have a chance
Really? I am surprised you think that. I think Netherlands might have an issue with Austria's energy and pressing.

I could be totally wrong of course - you might be right and Holland could have a comfortable 2-0 win. But going into the game I am surprised you are writing off Austria. What makes you think they don't have a chance? Just out of interest?

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Really? I am surprised you think that. I think Netherlands might have an issue with Austria's energy and pressing.

I could be totally wrong of course - you might be right and Holland could have a comfortable 2-0 win. But going into the game I am surprised you are writing off Austria. What makes you think they don't have a chance? Just out of interest?

Austria is a good team but if i remember the table correctly they need a win, dont think they are able to beat Netherlands.....

Maradona37

Austria is a good team but if i remember the table correctly they need a win, dont think they are able to beat Netherlands.....
Well, they're all but guaranteed to be a best third place team, unless they lose by like five goals - they are already above Croatia and their goal difference is four better than Hungary's while tied on points. That also doesn't take into account that groups C, E or F could still have a worse place finisher.

I don't know the exact percentages (I would love to see a link to some stats guys who work out the exact likelihood of all the teams making it through, anyone have this?), but I would assume Austria are in the high 90s. So the pressure really is off them. If they draw they will definitely finish third and as a best qualifier (with four points) yes. If they lose they're third and highly likely to go through anyway. So they might as well go for the win, and under Rangnick they tend to go after teams anyway. I think they can win (though even if they do France will likely win too). I think Austria can take second place, but I am gonna predict a 1-1 draw in the game and them to finish third and be guaranteed a r16 place - likely against England.

But as I said mate, you might be completely right. It's just that based on what I have seen of them so far they have a decent chance of a result today. It's football though and you never know which teams will turn up and which won't :)

Andresito

Staff member
Spain, Portugal, Germany most convincing so far. Although Portugal and Germany had pretty easy groups.

France and England can win by sheer quality though.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Well, they're all but guaranteed to be a best third place team, unless they lose by like five goals - they are already above Croatia and their goal difference is four better than Hungary's while tied on points. That also doesn't take into account that groups C, E or F could still have a worse place finisher.

I don't know the exact percentages (I would love to see a link to some stats guys who work out the exact likelihood of all the teams making it through, anyone have this?), but I would assume Austria are in the high 90s. So the pressure really is off them. If they draw they will definitely finish third and as a best qualifier (with four points) yes. If they lose they're third and highly likely to go through anyway. So they might as well go for the win, and under Rangnick they tend to go after teams anyway. I think they can win (though even if they do France will likely win too). I think Austria can take second place, but I am gonna predict a 1-1 draw in the game and them to finish third and be guaranteed a r16 place - likely against England.

But as I said mate, you might be completely right. It's just that based on what I have seen of them so far they have a decent chance of a result today. It's football though and you never know which teams will turn up and which won't :)

Hope youre right so we will get an exciting match

but meh that this game is already at 18:00 ( 6 p.m. ) :rolleyes:

Maradona37

Hope youre right so we will get an exciting match

but meh that this game is already at 18:00 ( 6 p.m. ) :rolleyes:
Cheers mate

Yeah 5 pm here (I guess you are in mainland Europe, are you actually Portuguese? Sorry if you don't wanna divulge too much personal info). But it doesn't bother me as I will be able to watch it and England-Slovenia after it anyway.

It's kinda annoying that I have paid a one-off one month payment for Premier Sports (£16) for the Copa America, and have only seen like two games of 8 so far. Been far too tired to stay up.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Spain, Portugal, Germany most convincing so far. Although Portugal and Germany had pretty easy groups.

France and England can win by sheer quality though.

Spain is clearly for me no. 1

then Germany, Portugal, France

then England

though EURO Sito, though EURO

i want to avoid Spain and Germany but unfortunately this will be impossible

we need to think match by match, lets goooo!

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Cheers mate

Yeah 5 pm here (I guess you are in Central Europe, are you actually Portuguese? Sorry if you don't wanna divulge too much personal info). But it doesn't bother me as I will be able to watch it and England-Slovenia after it anyway.

It's kinda annoying that I have paid a one-off one month payment for Premier Sports (£16) for the Copa America, and have only seen like two games of 8 so far. Been far too tired to stay up.

I want to keep my identity secret but let's say im a german speaking guy with portugese root...

But dont ask me how old i am :pique:

I remember in 2015/2016 i woke up at 2/3 a.m. to watch the Copa matches, now im too old for that

but in knockout stage if Colombia,Brazil ,Argentina or Uru play against each other i will watch :yawn:

Temptation

It's all about peaking at the right time.

France are definitely one of the favourites. There's no "beautiful play" trophy. International Football is mostly ugly.

Croatia would have easily qualified for the knockouts but they bottled 2 games in the added time because their midfield was weak defensively. Modric is 38, Kovacic can't defend and Brozovic doesn't play at the highest level and can't cover ground and win balls all game. They were very easy to play through. Yesterday when Calafiori(an LB/CB hybrid) ran through their midfield he faced no obstacles or opposition until the penalty box. Where was the Fernandinho tactical foul? Unacceptable.

Maradona37

I want to keep my identity secret but let's say im a german speaking guy with portugese root...

But dont ask me how old i am :pique:

I remember in 2015/2016 i woke up at 2/3 a.m. to watch the Copa matches, now im too old for that

but in knockout stage if Colombia,Brazil ,Argentina or Uru play against each other i will watch :yawn:
Fair enough mate, and I completely respect that. Hope you enjoy the games tonight anyway.

Lol I won't ask your age, I have seen a few jokes about it on here though.

It is hard to stay up to watch those games. I have been waking up early and my eyes have been shutting during the Euros 8 o clock kick offs. I don't know if that is a consequence of getting older as I have never been tired at 8 pm before after waking up at 7 am or 8 am. In saying that, I am probably not getting enough quality sleep as I am sleeping from like 1.30 am to 7 or 8 am.

I do think Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil (despite their problems) and Colombia are the four to watch here - they along with Chile tend to be the best CONMEBOL teams over the last 20 years. I think USA could be a dark horse too - yeah they're not as good as those teams in all likelihood, but they do have some good players and home advantage (though the latter probably counts for less in such a huge country rather than somewhere tighter like Germany).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Fair enough mate, and I completely respect that. Hope you enjoy the games tonight anyway.

Lol I won't ask your age, I have seen a few jokes about it on here though.

It is hard to stay up to watch those games. I have been waking up early and my eyes have been shutting during the Euros 8 o clock kick offs. I don't know if that is a consequence of getting older as I have never been tired at 8 pm before after waking up at 7 am or 8 am. In saying that, I am probably not getting enough quality sleep as I am sleeping from like 1.30 am to 7 or 8 am.

I do think Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil (despite their problems) and Colombia are the four to watch here - they along with Chile tend to be the best CONMEBOL teams over the last 20 years. I think USA could be a dark horse too - yeah they're not as good as those teams in all likelihood, but they do have some good players and home advantage (though the latter probably counts for less in such a huge country rather than somewhere tighter like Germany).

You're only 42, arent you? You are young bro. In your age i made party the whole night and went to work the next day :quemiras:

USA with Pulisic is a great team but doubt they have a chance against the top 4. Im excited what Uru and Colombia can achieve, think one of them will play against Argentina in final if they dont meet earlier. Brazil could improve during the tournament, they have a great team but doesnt work atm.

---

Ok guys we see you at 18:00 here :salute:

Maradona37

You're only 42, arent you? You are young bro. In your age i made party the whole night and went to work the next day :quemiras:

USA with Pulisic is a great team but doubt they have a chance against the top 4. Im excited what Uru and Colombia can achieve, think one of them will play against Argentina in final if they dont meet earlier. Brazil could improve during the tournament, they have a great time but doesnt work atm.

---

Ok guys we see you at 18:00 here :salute:
Yeah mate I turned 42 earlier in the year. I know what you are saying - other than tiredness I do feel in fairly good shape for my age. I have a pretty bad back, but I still play plenty of football and try to get out walks etc. Gonna return to the gym if I can too. I have never been a partier myself and I am teetotal (don't smoke or do drugs either) so I am good in the sense that that that stuff isn't something to challenge me health-wise as I get older. I am overweight though (medications in recent years, I used to be fit and athletic) and could do with shifting some kg. It's hard though as I often get hungry as a consequence of the meds. I could do with an appetite suppressant sometimes.

Yeah I fancy Uruguay and Colombia to do well too. This tournament is in the format of the old Euros (four groups of four, top two qualify for QFs) so it is quite a tight tournament and little room for error.

I definitely recommend watching NED-AUT later though. I have a gut feeling it's gonna be a good match. I could be totally wrong but I think it will be competitive.

Home of Barca Fans