European Super League

KingLeo10

While I don't like the idea of this league, let's not pretend UEFA/FIFA are hallowed standard bearers of moral conduct. It's just they are a less worse option compared to this shit show.

UEFA has too much of a controlling stake as it stands.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
While I don't like the idea of this league, let's not pretend UEFA/FIFA are hallowed standard bearers of moral conduct. It's just they are a less worse option compared to this shit show.

UEFA has little controlling stake right now. The bigger clubs are taking away a bigger piece of the revenue than ever, they are even changing the entire structure of the CL from 2024 to appease these clubs to avoid a break-away.

Windhook

UEFA has little controlling stake right now. The bigger clubs are taking away a bigger piece of the revenue than ever, they are even changing the entire structure of the CL from 2024 to appease these clubs to avoid a break-away.

They already did to appease clubs like Roma or Valencia. Allowing top 4 teams from top 4 European leagues to qualify directly to the group stage of CL. Because Olympiacos or some Swiss team were really unpleasant opponent.

Overall things were better with Platini as head of UEFA, no idea how corrupt he is, smelled like politics. Ceferin is just this incompetent well dressed prick.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Exactly. It's all about money. This way super clubs make the most of it.

El Gato

Villarato!

This reform has actually been thrown into doubt and UEFA delayed their decision to 19 April.

That is, tomorrow.

https://theathletic.com/news/champions-league-reform-doubt-uefa/ulpHRbBIrsRc

Super League announcement comes timed right on cue.

Tackle

Hearing that UEFA and governing domestic bodies will move to ban teams that agree to participate in this league from their competitions.

Question is whether that is a viable proposal or simply a bluff?

Big clubs banding together in the form on a oligarchy will have loads of negotiating and leverage power and will place UEFA and the likes in difficult positions.

Can the PL afford to kick out their top 6? Can La Liga afford to lose it's big 3? How much interest in a Champions League without most the big clubs, or EURO without most the big players?

Easy to say football shouldn't bow down to big money and the big clubs, but we have seen it happen time and time again in the past. This wretched Super League idea may get nixed this time around, but like ads on jerseys it's only a matter of time before it gets widely adopted with perhaps UEFA, FIFA etc. agreeing a fee with the clubs.

Mistyoptic

When it comes to Barca, do the socios get a vote first before we join any such league? I know we've "signed up" but surely it can't go through unless there's a vote. Or, am I completely off the mark?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
When it comes to Barca, do the socios get a vote first before we join any such league? I know we've "signed up" but surely it can't go through unless there's a vote. Or, am I completely off the mark?

Yes, apparently it will need to go through a vote by the socis.

Porque

I think the Super League is inevitable. It is now becoming a case of whether FIFA support it now or support it later. Because if the money and backing is, the historic top teams and the star players, long term opposition will be futile.

jamrock

Uefa/FIFA's treats are hallow as hell, thier leagues need those teams more than they need them & FIFA needs the big name players for the world cup.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hearing that UEFA and governing domestic bodies will move to ban teams that agree to participate in this league from their competitions.

Question is whether that is a viable proposal or simply a bluff?

Big clubs banding together in the form on a oligarchy will have loads of negotiating and leverage power and will place UEFA and the likes in difficult positions.

Can the PL afford to kick out their top 6? Can La Liga afford to lose it's big 3? How much interest in a Champions League without most the big clubs, or EURO without most the big players?

Easy to say football shouldn't bow down to big money and the big clubs, but we have seen it happen time and time again in the past. This wretched Super League idea may get nixed this time around, but like ads on jerseys it's only a matter of time before it gets widely adopted with perhaps UEFA, FIFA etc. agreeing a fee with the clubs.

It is a game of chicken at this point with UEFA teaming up with FIFA and the national leagues issuing the threat of bans while the Super League side doesn't want to appear weak and backing down easily.

If this goes ahead as is today then both sides will suffer tremendously, both sides need the other side. I think this will probably end up with UEFA negotiating with the big clubs and yielding more money and control to them to kill the Super League idea for now. I seriously don't see any viability as Super League stands right now.

Jadentheman

I think the Super League is inevitable. It is now becoming a case of whether FIFA support it now or support it later. Because if the money and backing is, the historic top teams and the star players, long term opposition will be futile.

FIFA always has a price. Once they get their down payment and % of profit they?d be practically advertising the league.

Let?s be honest no one likes seeing the big team wail on minnows at least with this format the game will be vastly more balanced. Sure it will be like NBA/NFL without caps and no emotion of relegation but that?s where the sport is going. Full commercialization. This is just completing the transition of oil money, Jersey ads, in game advertising, licensing and more.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FIFA and Uefa are corrupt and pretend to care and sell us slogans. Champions League lost it's meaning long time ago when they allowed 4th team from France to compete while pushing away national champions from other leagues. Who are they kidding? All about money and nothing to do about protecting heritage or whatever.

People just want to watch top football. In this battle big clubs will always win against idiots from fifa or Uefa. Superleague is just a final step in rich will get richer reality.

FinBarcelonafan

FIFA and Uefa are corrupt and pretend to care and sell us slogans. Champions League lost it's meaning long time ago when they allowed 4th team from France to compete while pushing away national champions from other leagues. Who are they kidding? All about money and nothing to do about protecting heritage or whatever.

People just want to watch top football. In this battle big clubs will always win against idiots from fifa or Uefa. Superleague is just a final step in rich will get richer reality.

Amen. They try to act all good here but they've been always about money too.

Home of Barca Fans