FC Barcelona Finances

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Manchester is an alright city. Not like these players will live in the shit parts of it. They won't even live in Manchester really lol.

Obviously compared to Barcelona for someone that loves the beach and all that stuff it's a stark contrast and depressing.

Birdy

Manchester is a great city if you have a little bit of taste in yourself.
But I get it: footballers nowadays don't have even little bit of that...

DonAK

Not sure what you mean by taste. Most footballers prefer to stay at home during the season anyway. Would you rather live in a place where it rains relatively often or the weather is grey or a place where you can go on a hike to the hills or relax by the beach with nice weather, or heck even take the short trip to Andorra and go skiing if allowed contractually.

Birdy

Not sure what you mean by taste. Most footballers prefer to stay at home during the season anyway. Would you rather live in a place where it rains relatively often or the weather is grey or a place where you can go on a hike to the hills or relax by the beach with nice weather, or heck even take the short trip to Andorra and go skiing if allowed contractually.

If weather is the only weighing factor, of course Barcelona is better.
And in general Barcelona is a great city to live.

But the English weather fits nicely the vibes of the city of Manchester, and there is a lot to it that is worth in its urban landscape with the old industrial warehouses, mills, etc
Manchester is not as crap as they portray it, but you need some taste -> the ability to be able to see and appreciate all that

DonAK

Manchester is not crap. It's an alright city as I've said. Been there a few times as I have family there.

But aint no footballer going to watch old industrial warehouses and mills and admire their beauty. Cmon now.

Nothing to do with taste lol.

DonAK

I think most European footballers at least have seen such places growing up so they naturally gravitate towards something different.

Birdy

Manchester is not crap. It's an alright city as I've said. Been there a few times as I have family there.

But aint no footballer going to watch old industrial warehouses and mills and admire their beauty. Cmon now.

Nothing to do with taste lol.

I get it that they won't be able to appreciate that. I wrote it.

Peppy, for instance, in his recent interview about his life in Manchester summarized an aspect of Manchester culture pretty nicely: "From day one, I felt comfortable. Being comfortable means many, many things ... I love this dark side of Manchester, the underground places, the bars, typical restaurants"

The typical footballer nowadays would not be able to discriminate that 'underground' vibe to begin with.
But that's what taste is, the faculty to be able to first see and then appreciate that.

FinBarcelonafan

If weather is the only weighing factor, of course Barcelona is better.
And in general Barcelona is a great city to live.

But the English weather fits nicely the vibes of the city of Manchester, and there is a lot to it that is worth in its urban landscape with the old industrial warehouses, mills, etc
Manchester is not as crap as they portray it, but you need some taste -> the ability to be able to see and appreciate all that

Sugarcoating Manchester, why?

It's nothing special.

Givenchy

Sugarcoating Manchester, why?

It's nothing special.

Manchester the city isn't the issue, as others said he wouldn't be living in the shit parts. The problem here is United are not an attractive destination for top class players. All they have to offer him is money and this 'special relationship' with ten Hag, a manager he played under for 1 season. If City came in with an offer, I'm pretty sure Frenkie would snap their hand off.

El Gato

Villarato!
Manchester is generally average, much like Liverpool or any other larger city in the Midlands or north of that area.
Everything will have a bit of history attached to it, doesnt mean footballers should need to care

Climate not even the biggest dealbreaker for many as players being public figures care more for the character of people they're around of, the media and such.

DonAK

Yeah.

While the Spanish press post a lot of shit stories and do the club's bidding, they don't have shit papers trying to infringe your privacy on a daily basis.

Spain don't have scum like The Sun as one of the country's biggest papers.

serghei

It's the whole package of United that is lacking. SAF was the main awesome thing about them.

Old Trafford is sweet too. But that's about it.

El Gato

Villarato!
Yeah.

While the Spanish press post a lot of shit stories and do the club's bidding, they don't have shit papers trying to infringe your privacy on a daily basis.

Spain don't have scum like The Sun as one of the country's biggest papers.

And some dont mind or know how to deal with it so it doesnt get to them and hence may do better in that environment
But British tabloids are absolute spastics and tend to invent things straight out their ass more than should

Szczesny had an interesting take when he did a sit-down interview recently on a Polish show saying he prefers the English coldness in some ways because in London he could go to a restaurant and no one will bother him in a personal way whereas in Rome he's had multiple encounters of people overtly manifesting their 'warmth' coming up to kiss him on cheek and such when they recognised him, though admittedly it was different in Turin already

Compare Bale having a bad time with Marca and AS on flip side lol
Very different ways of culture mismatching player temperament

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't think the city itself, weather etc. is one of the top factors drawing players to a club, it is probably a factor nevertheless but way down the list, after big ones like the club itself, chances to win trophies, pay and the manager etc.

I wouldn't call United a club without identity. Also, identity isn't that important. What identity does City or Chelsea have?

Home of Barca Fans