Franck Kessie

khaled_a_d

I watched his game last night. He was peripheral and more withdrawn than last season. But seems he can play DMC tactically, even in our 1 man system.

Yeah, from what I hear the Kessie is b2b is a bit of myth this year, he is the most defensive midfielder of the bunch.

I just hope we know what we are getting if we sign him, not another player we are trying to fit in a position he doesn't belong to

Porque

Yeah, from what I hear the Kessie is b2b is a bit of myth this year, he is the most defensive midfielder of the bunch.

I just hope we know what we are getting if we sign him, not another player we are trying to fit in a position he doesn't belong to

It seems alot of the B2B talks resonate from last seasons Man Utd games.

I have been trying to read this but it is not loading for me. Only loaded to the heatmaps.

If it loads for you, looks a good read.

https://www.thearsenalreview.com/article/franck-kessie-a-possible-transfer-to-arsenal

Last edited:

Porque

Here is some comparative data regarding Kessie and simiar players this season (Khephren Thuram, Kamara, Gavi, Sissoko, Renato Sanchez- but you can compare to any other player across Europe).

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...1-2022&player_id6=cc77354e&p6yrfrom=2021-2022

1) You can see just why Xavi and Barcelona would find him interesting.

2) Boubacar Kamara stats hold up very well, and if you are looking for a pure alternative to Busquets, the data backs him up.

Last edited:

Birdy

Can't believe people are against signing this beatiful beast. :banghead:

Honest question: Have you ever watched him in WHOLE Ac Milan games?
We know that on edited highlights Munir can look like Neymar.

Because I have watched many whole AC Milan games the last 2 years, and I can reassure you he is NOT what we need, and his skillset doesn't add something we don't have already.

At Milan they use him as DCM/CM, mainly because of his constant running in defending, rather than as a Busi-type pivot. On the contrary, he is very poor with his passing.
He is a player similar to Winaldum, who would fit a md like Liverpool's in the role of Henderson or Winaldum, not a Barca md.

Especially this whole crap that 'he gets in the box and scores' is a wild fantasy coming from people who haven't really watched him.
The guy scores only penalties, and he is 20 times worse than Frenkie in off-the ball movement inside the box

His signing makes 0 sense, precisely when we have FDJ here.
It makes also 0 sense that - according to leaks - Xavi froze the Renato Sanchez transfer that Koeman wanted. At least Renato was different in his skillset, and 3 tiers above Kessie as a player

Birdy

Here is some comparative data regarding Kessie and simiar players this season (Khephren Thuram, Kamara, Gavi, Sissoko, Renato Sanchez- but you can compare to any other player across Europe).

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...1-2022&player_id6=cc77354e&p6yrfrom=2021-2022

1) You can see just why Xavi and Barcelona would find him interesting.

2) Boubacar Kamara stats hold up very well, and if you are looking for a pure alternative to Busquets, the data backs him up.

I don't really see 1.
Can you explain it?

I see:
he is 5th out of 6 in non-penalty xG +xA per 90,
4th out of 6 in np XG/shot per 90,
5th out of 6 in GCA/90,
4th out of 6 in Progressive passes/90,
6th out of 6 in Progressive Distance/90 from carries with a staggering LOW 98 yrds every 90 minutes

Even at defending, which is his strong card, Gavi applies more pressures/90 than him.

Enlighten me as to what Xavi sees in him

malvolio

Poor with passing? That's all the information I need.

50cent-smile.gif

Porque

I don't really see 1.
Can you explain it?

I see:
he is 5th out of 6 in non-penalty xG +xA per 90,
4th out of 6 in np XG/shot per 90,
5th out of 6 in GCA/90,
4th out of 6 in Progressive passes/90,
6th out of 6 in Progressive Distance/90 from carries with a staggering LOW 98 yrds every 90 minutes

Even at defending, which is his strong card, Gavi applies more pressures/90 than him.

Enlighten me as to what Xavi sees in him

Depends what you are looking for.

-Second highest in completed passes
-Just under 90% pass success rate
-Second highest in total pass distance

-Low fouls committed

-2nd highest tackles+interceptions.

All reliable traits to have as a defensive midfield option. Then through watching him you can see that his first touch and quickness of pass is better than Kamara for example.

Now if we are in the market for a creative midfielder then I would pass.

Birdy

Depends what you are looking for.

-Second highest in completed passes
-Just under 90% pass success rate
-Second highest in total pass distance

-Low fouls committed

-2nd highest tackles+interceptions.

All reliable traits to have as a defensive midfield option. Then through watching him you can see that his first touch and quickness of pass is better than Kamara for example.

Now if we are in the market for a creative midfielder then I would pass.

Success Rate alone is not enough.
His passes are not progressive enough, don't advance the ball between the lines (4th of the lists of stats I quoted)

I wonder how such a player is gonna play pivot for Barca.
Notwithstanding that he has to bench Busi for that

Plus something that is not reflected in the stats: he can get bullied by good pressers when he receives first as a 6

Home of Barca Fans