Franck Ribery

beef-supreme

disagree Beef , he is a superb player and consistent in his performance his major problem is injuries are a lot nothing more

He's been average this season (albeit hampered by injuries) and I've never seen him play well for France (or at least i wouldn't remember it), he was very good with Marseille but hardly so with Galatasaray. Though I never saw a match of his there, i think the fact that barely anyone knew about him at the time speaks for itself, also I think that he was statistically quite average (goals and assists).
But more of a concern would be the fact that he's shown a terrible attitude towards his future during his stay in Bayern, and his track record of moving around should be disconcerting. I think that when he was on top form last season and the season before (the only 2 great years in his career so far, plus maybe Marseille the year before) he was a great player but he is the exact opposite of what we need at Barca. Whether it's his agent or the player himself, I don't know.
Personally i used to be a big fan, but when Bayern started placing ludicrous price tags on him, i thought meh, and then when i read about all the things he's said, it made his attitude very clear. And then you get this not so great season to cap it all off - makes you think whether he's a bit overrated.

beef-supreme

I think i was a bit harsh on his abilities though, it's just that i really don't like the idea of a player like him coming to Barca. Zlatan might be a cock on the pitch but he's a very decent, intelligent and diplomatic man, especially when it comes to transfers. He had his hot-headed period at Ajax but after that, when someone asked him if he was going to move, he'd always respond with the standard 'My immediate future lies here'. Ribery is just in it for the money, it often seems to me.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
exactly! we don't need this kind of people on board.
once he started considering Chelsea i knew right away that it's all about the money for him

Im sorry but hhow is Chelsea a money move?

have you forgotten last years semis for us? they very nearly beat us!
they have been competing in CL, EPL every year recently, they are by no means a money move...

barca96

the wages offered by Abramovich and Perez offer are normally way higher than the rest of the clubs. That's why i think that he is going after the money. And it doesn't look like Chelsea will last any longer with that squad. They're all aging.
if he really wanted a move that's good for his career then, Man U and Barca would've been the obvious choice.
but Madrid and Chelsea? nah..
just my opinion...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Chelsea apparently are on a mission to reduce the wage-bill... so even if he moved to Chelsea I doubt it would be due to financial reasons!!

Remember he'd be the star, the number 10 for Chelsea if he moved there this summer. He'd enjoy the status that Ronaldo is currently enjoying at Madrid!!

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I was watching the tuesday match with a die-hard bayern supporter. He said that Ribery is mostly driven by his wife and 'entourage' and, to a lesser extent, by his agent. While he seemingly just wants to play good football, at a club where he can win trophies and personal titles (ballon d'or et al). Now i guess that doesnt make him the typical money-driven merc, although it prolly only makes him a slightly better opportunist.

He also dont really asks for the highest stardom in the squad for himself. Actually he seemed really happy about the Robben transfer ... as that raises the trophy-chances a lot. Anyway ... not that im a big advocate of him, but its not all that bad about him.

barca96

I was watching the tuesday match with a die-hard bayern supporter. He said that Ribery is mostly driven by his wife and 'entourage' and, to a lesser extent, by his agent. While he seemingly just wants to play good football, at a club where he can win trophies and personal titles (ballon d'or et al). Now i guess that doesnt make him the typical money-driven merc, although it prolly only makes him a slightly better opportunist.

He also dont really asks for the highest stardom in the squad for himself. Actually he seemed really happy about the Robben transfer ... as that raises the trophy-chances a lot. Anyway ... not that im a big advocate of him, but its not all that bad about him.

oh my bad then.
blame it on the bad press.

but if he is really happy with robben in the team, why doesn't he just squash all the rumors and say that he wants to stay. like how cesc does for example

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Im fairly sure that if Bayern would buy 1-2 more world class players, Ribery would certainly stay. Problem is for Bayern to get those stars, as these dont seem to like playing in the BL all to much.

F

FCB_Titi_LB

Ribery is not that player anymore. Much overrated players out there

barca96

Im fairly sure that if Bayern would buy 1-2 more world class players, Ribery would certainly stay. Problem is for Bayern to get those stars, as these dont seem to like playing in the BL all to much.

would bojan going that direction make ribery stay at bayern?

The fact that we have Ibra know rules out (at least from a tactical viewpoint) any move for Ribery. When we traded Eto'o for Ibra we knew that we were loosing the work rate & the clinical finishing of a natural striker. We calculated (I still think correctly) that the net benefit derived would still outweigh the losses. But for us to maximize our gains (i.e. make good use of Ibra) we need to play him in his natural position which is more as an advanced ST rather than a pure CF. Ribery does not solve for that.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
The fact that we have Ibra know rules out (at least from a tactical viewpoint) any move for Ribery. When we traded Eto'o for Ibra we knew that we were loosing the work rate & the clinical finishing of a natural striker. We calculated (I still think correctly) that the net benefit derived would still outweigh the losses. But for us to maximize our gains (i.e. make good use of Ibra) we need to play him in his natural position which is more as an advanced ST rather than a pure CF. Ribery does not solve for that.

You mean that Ibra's natural position is ST? It's the other way around, a striker is more of a Inzaghi/Trezeguet/Eto'o type of player. Ibras natural position is more as a deep-lying forward / target man.
And no, Ribery can not solve for Ibras dry spell. Only Ibra himself can do that. But what you are proposing would change our tactics that we have built our football on. And that won't happen just because we bought Ibra.
So what should we do? Buy a pure striker? And play Ibra as an supporting forward? And what would be Messi's role? What system/tactics would we use? It's not like we can play Ibra as a winger, he has to be in the middle as our target man and creating space for the rest of the team.

Anyway, there are a couple of players that we should look at for our left wing (and no, I don't think Pedro can handle that role as our first choice - even though he's excellent backup). But Ribery is not the right man for the job imo. I would like to see Robinho on our left wing next season, he just has to grow up and see a shrink. I also think Perotti will be great in a season or two.

Home of Barca Fans