Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc_lovin

Honestly I am not half as impressed with him at DM than you are :lol:

He's good, but I suppose someone like Zubimendi would do a better job - and I don't particularly rate him.

JamDav1982

Honestly I am not half as impressed with him at DM than you are :lol:

He's good, but I suppose someone like Zubimendi would do a better job - and I don't particularly rate him.

He is better DM than Busi and was best player on park at DM yesterday.

Was MOTM in last game at DM also.

I would have him in CM and freedom to move and would have bought a new DM but as squad stands he is levels above Busi who leaves Barca badly exposed on and off the ball.

Zubimendi wont be better DM than FDJ was in last two games played there but even if did sign him FDJ is best CM and far above likes of Gavi.

JamDav1982

I like Kounde and Raphinha but that 120m could have been better spent and made sure full backs and DM area was covered.

Could have had Mazouri, Zinchenko and Zubimendi for 90m odd and add that maybe Arnau Martinez from Girona at RB also.

That would allow for Mazouri/Martinez at RB and Zinchenko/Balde at LB with Zubimendi at DM etc.

Can choose other names if think the 120m could be better spent in those positions. I would guess there are better options at DM for 60m if thought longer.

That in turn allows for... Roberto to be punted, Alba to be punted and Busquets to be punted.. if the club were ruthless enough and would be prepared to tell those players their time is up and wont play at all. Which if they leave saves a lot on wages.

Rather than Raphinha.. Auba could be kept as suits the AML/ST position if Xavi will play it and maybe even Jutgla kept as depth also or back up CF.

Porque

I like Kounde and Raphinha but that 120m could have been better spent and made sure full backs and DM area was covered.

Could have had Mazouri, Zinchenko and Zubimendi for 90m odd and add that maybe Arnau Martinez from Girona at RB also.

That would allow for Mazouri/Martinez at RB and Zinchenko/Balde at LB with Zubimendi at DM etc.

Can choose other names if think the 120m could be better spent in those positions. I would guess there are better options at DM for 60m if thought longer.

That in turn allows for... Roberto to be punted, Alba to be punted and Busquets to be punted.. if the club were ruthless enough and would be prepared to tell those players their time is up and wont play at all. Which if they leave saves a lot on wages.

Rather than Raphinha.. Auba could be kept as suits the AML/ST position if Xavi will play it and maybe even Jutgla kept as depth also or back up CF.

I'd sign Kounde with those options you mentioned but look to sell Araujo. Great player but positionally suspect, poor on the ball and injury issues. Benfica would make alot if they were selling him. Us? Who knows.

khaled_a_d

Agree with Jam tbh, Frenkie atm is our best midfielder whether he is CM or DM.
Gone are the days where you play Busi because of lack of alternative tbh, he reached the rock bottom atm and shouldn't be considered a starter or even first sub.
We need reinforcement for midfield, and a CM or DM will do the trick since Frenkie can do both.
That being said, I would ditch the single pivot gameplan tbh, it is outdated

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I'd sign Kounde with those options you mentioned but look to sell Araujo. Great player but positionally suspect, poor on the ball and injury issues. Benfica would make alot if they were selling him. Us? Who knows.

Was going to say that about Araujo... could sell him if think Kounde is better.

Could even go further and say Pedri/Gavi together may not be what club need now... and sell one of them to reinforce other areas of team but too terrified of socios to do that even if thought correct decision.

Also Lewa... not even sure could have got him ahead of Liverpool but taking a punt on likes of Nunez as similar cost on books or another striker with more upside.

Basically club knew they were going to have little to spend in coming seasons and that made worse by giving up tv money so signing should have had to tick boxes of being longer term value and in positions required.

Now left with wingers that wont play, 34 Busi as preferred DM, 34 yr old Lewa as striker, no RB and no real quality at LB other than a teenager.

Last edited:

jamrock

Can please some of the people sometimes of the times, but you can't please all the people all the time.

Same set of fans playing hindsight Sporting director now, are the same ones who were complaining we will only sign a much of pass it has beens, after selling out TV rights & a few of them were saying we have plenty of money to sign whoever we want, but no one will come to us, we aren't broke.

If we didn't sign Kounde and went into the season with Araujo, Christensen, pique & Eric, the exact fans would be saying something along the lines of

We used our TV rights & didn't get a CB, Kounde is killing it now for Chelsea on the right side of a back 3 & plays RB for France, he was begging to come to us & we made it slip.

Going to the season with a front line of
Dembele
Auba
Torres

Complaints would be why didn't we sign raphinha who made it clear he wanted to come to us, we have no depth up front.

The plan was clearly to cover the 4-5 areas of the team over 2 windows.

We'll sign A DM & RB next summer, while still having one of the best young defenders in the game on our books.

Everything takes time.

JamDav1982

Nah the reason for having 'plenty' of money was that they were always going to sign the levers.

Was 100% correct on that when folk were saying would barely spend anything that summer and 'couldnt afford' likes of Haaland when some could accept he didnt want to move to club etc.

Poor squad planning and gaps to fill that should have been filled last summer and with longer term thinking.

The discussions last summer about hopw Barca could spend and cost on books were enlughtening as to how much little clue some had on what they were even discussing.

Lets see the quality of Barca squad in next few seasons and how much money they have to improve the areas neglected last summer.

Can go look back at time when those of us argued this exact point and club should not spend another 60m on Raphinha when he plays on right and not same type of player as Dembele which has positive as well as negatives.

Arguing full back and DM were needed and younger option at CF than Lewa for long term good of squad.

Time will tell who was correct.

Last edited:

jamrock

You were wrong, the club had no plenty of money to sign WHOEVER we wanted, we had a limited amount of money, were they had to balance the opportunity cost of each signing.

Whoever we signed, their would have been holes left else where, $120m well spent, Xavi needs to do a lot better to integrate raphinha, next year we sign a RB & DM.

jamrock

Whatever they spend to improve areas they didn't improve this summer, they would have had to spend anyways to fill the other positions, So that's non sense.

JamDav1982

Nope I was 100% correct and said club would have plenty to spend in summer when pulled levers.

That was point all along when folk tried to agree wih Xavi that club could not afford likes of Haaland.

No not whoever signed would have left holes in comparison to now and what clun need to spend at time will have very little funds.. Made even worse by European failures.

See previous posts and what was discussed last summer.

Would be surprised if club go into next season with both Dembele and Raphinha as it is too imbalanced on what squad needs. Lets see. The issue now is if sold Raphinha for say 50m they may not have all of that to spend due to FFP rules.

Last edited:

fergus90

Mazroauri should have been signed, very good player and can play both LB/RB. Would allow Kounde to operate where he wants.

JamDav1982

Mazroauri should have been signed, very good player and can play both LB/RB. Would allow Kounde to operate where he wants.

Sign him a LB and DM and tell amigos their time is up and wont play anymore.

More ruthless clubs would but Barca pander to them bar Pique but even then he got away with far too much for far too long.

Would allow for even more to spend if could have forced out Pique earlier and Busi/Alba as well as not renewing Roberto.

Birdy

I am always in favor of forcing all the Amigos out

But FDJ right now is also a burden on our wage bill. Actually he is the highest earner with a wage that doesn't reflect even partially his performances on the pitch.

For me, we have enough evidence to think FDJ is crap as interior and will never give the team what it needs in such position
Give him the rest of the season as pivot, to see if he can be what is needed there (for me questionable. He had a good game there vs Villareal from what I remember, but nothing else)
If not, time to cash out on him in the summer. And for that to happen, he needs to sit permanently on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans