Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo_Messi

Let's see in the next 5 to 10 years how things pan out.

One thing I know for sure is that we (Barca) can't afford to be complacent and we have absolutely no reason to be complacent and we must think of ways to keep up with these cash cows financially. In this regard I am in total agreement with Victor Font.

Well, we are in complete agreement here. As a final remark, de Jong's move to QSG is not certain and if it materializes it is without a doubt due to the board not pushing strongly enough for him, not due to us "losing out" to QSG because no sane person is going to tell me that de Jong would prefer a move to QSG if we were genuinely going all out for him. Lastly, while I rate de Jong highly, it's not like we are talking about a talent of Messi's caliber here or even C. Ronaldo's or a player that will change the entire culture and winning mentality of a club and somehow guide them (while playing the leading role) to successive European (CL) trophies. While it is unlikely (at least if you ask me), for all we know, the 22 year old de Jong might be a one-season wonder or only an above average talent that has been hyped way too much. I mean, I have seen Ajax fans saying that Ziyech is their best player and that he is more impressive than de Jong.

Vilarrubi

Yes, but where were City and PSG a decade ago? And where are they now? Changes won't happen overnight as I said in a few years from now they will dominate Europe. Can we afford to spend 160m again? And on wrong players? That money came from the sale of Neymar to PSG. That money came from PSG. We will never be able to spend that much again, while PSG and City can sustain such spending with their budget.

We will enjoy domestic success but once Messi retires, our odds to compete in a bigger stage is very slim.

Who else can they buy? They have 2 of the top 5 players in the world in Neymar and Mbappe... and they've got "supposed" restrictions with FFP so they're not going to go blow over 100m per player any time soon.

The PSG "project" is behind schedule as it is... Nasser said in 2014 they need to win the CL within 4 years.. so they are already a year behind with that goal and yet to reach a CL semi in that time.

Not disagreeing with you on the Barca stuff, especially after Messi leaves, but these changes which won't happen "overnight" with PSG have been ongoing for 7/8 years now with 1.1 billion spent.

wisconsincule

Would not surprise me if we actually did not show any ramped up interest when his price became to high. Our midfield signing was planned to be Rabiot and that’s it I’m assuming.

Keep in mind FDJ is NOT guaranteed to be a success.

Devils

[tw]1085516725511172096[/tw]

It does indicate that Barca did not prioritize De Jong. The club did have an agreement with the player as reported, but never pushed competitively for him like PSG did.

Leo_Messi

[tw]1085516725511172096[/tw]

It does indicate that Barca did not prioritize De Jong. The club did have an agreement with the player as reported, but never pushed competitively for him like PSG did.

Makes sense if it turns out to be the case. Is any sane person going to believe that a Dutch kid like de Jong, who plays for Ajax Amsterdam moreover, who publicly has spoken about his admiration for our club, playing style, Messi, who would fit like a glove stylistically in Spain, who openly has talked about his wish to play with Messi, who has openly talked about the beauty of BCN (the city), who would earn just as much, at most a little less than what QSG is offering, prefer freaking QSG over Barça? No way. As for the reports about de Jong fearing that he won't play as much at Barça. Really? His arrival will likely mean the departure of Rakitic. Busquets will be 31 years old and he openly confessed to having no more than 2-3 seasons left at the highest level, this current included. Other than that there is a (soon to be) 32 year old Vidal and Arthur. I don't see any overbooking for a supposedly generational talent not to be able to overcome relatively quickly. If the much less hyped Arthur has played rather frequently considering this being his first season in Europe, what makes anyone believe that de Jong won't be able to do that for Valverde or even better a new manager?

This is just another example of a failed transfer dealing by this "glorious" (wrong priorities) board like so many times before. If the news is accurate that is.

Last edited:

D10S_JC

Is anyone glad we missed on him?
He's more an immature all-round midfielder without a specialized skill set. He'd be easy turning into a medicore player.

Newcomer

Think it is done deal now.

Meunier hinted it on his tweets.

He is used to do that (sometimes with the official account CM) with every big transfer to PSG.

Gari

[MD] Ronald Koeman during the opening of a Cruyff Court in Sant Vicenç dels Horts.

"I already gave my advice to De Ligt and De Jong, I do not know that they have decided to join PSG"

George_Costanza

Who else can they buy? They have 2 of the top 5 players in the world in Neymar and Mbappe... and they've got "supposed" restrictions with FFP so they're not going to go blow over 100m per player any time soon.

The PSG "project" is behind schedule as it is... Nasser said in 2014 they need to win the CL within 4 years.. so they are already a year behind with that goal and yet to reach a CL semi in that time.

Not disagreeing with you on the Barca stuff, especially after Messi leaves, but these changes which won't happen "overnight" with PSG have been ongoing for 7/8 years now with 1.1 billion spent.

They are going to buy all the best talents from now on.

2014, PSG didn't have Neymar, didn't have Mbappe, they were restricted with the FFP. That's then, now they have the best players, they have bought FIFA and they have bought UEFA, FFP is dead. Nothing can stop the inevitable. I have no idea how some here compare City and PSG resources to Chelsea. It's like comparing Taiwan and China!

I'm not all pessimistic about the future. What is going to save Barcelona? Shrewd and smart president.

Election 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans