Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor Mars

System player. But I'm still willing to hold out hope for him until this team gets better structurally(hopefully over the next couple years). Get some reliable wingers, a striker, a CB or 2, and possibly another midfielder( to replace Busi and Pjanic).

Richard.H

System player. But I'm still willing to hold out hope for him until this team gets better structurally(hopefully over the next couple years). Get some reliable wingers, a striker, a CB or 2, and possibly another midfielder( to replace Busi and Pjanic).

I will be patient but I am willing to bet that both Pedri and Puig will have a higher ceiling for Barca. FDJ is a system player. He would probably do really well in a team where he can have 2 DM's covering him.

fergus90

Said before he was signed he wasnt good enough , the hype has cost big time again.

I'm still to this day convinced that the social media pressure was exactly why he was bought. I know he was scouted a bit prior but nothing ever concrete bar Mundo Deportivo's usual stuff.

The wounds of Neymar were still sore a year on and Bartomeu was trying to appease the masses. I'm certain Abidal had Rabiot lined up ready to sign but caved to the De Jong pressure instead.

Last edited:

Rory

Clear as day we'd need a solid ball winning midfielder next to him and we signed soft boy pjanic to go with busquets. All three are players that have the same role, why they would suddenly work together makes no sense to me. Unless you put them in a midfield 3 with someone like puig/pedri to offer dynamism our midfield will continue to be shit.

BBZ8800

It's funny how times change.

2 years ago, a lot of fans thought that we will have a decade of dominance with Frenkie-Arthur midfield duo.

Some even suggested that we don't need to buy new pivots because we had a baby Busquets in Oriol.
We were set for the next 10 years.

My point: people should stop with "we are set for the next 10 years".
That almost never works, unless your name is Xavi and Iniesta.

Also, it is very risky not to buy new players due to waiting on a kid (Oriol, for example).

I used to shit on Frenkie before we signed him that he was a ghost in some matches against German teams and similar, but still I didn't expect that he will be so average.

His defending is questionable.
Positioning questionable.
Heading questionable.
Creativity, almost as shit as Arthur's.
Final third impact = level of Semedo.

Maybe we should all learn the lesson here.
This internet era is crazy.
Every kid, every fan could open accounts on Youtube and social media and hype new flavors of the month.
And then all of us are slowly getting influenced by those posts and hype and we buy the hype.

Frenkie had one season of senior career before Barca.
Dembele literally played more matches than him before Barca.

We all know that players sometimes have one wonder season.
What if Frenkie had his wonder season at Ajax and if he is an absolute running around & stamina merchant who can't do anything else?

But, I understand, in the current era transfers are a huge risk.
If you don't buy a player right away, someone else will and then he is gone forever (Veratti).

So, to some extent: we had to risk on Frenkie.
But it seems that his Ajax days were: one season wonder, being a system player and unreal new generation of social media hype by teen fans who are in an eternal search for the next big thing.

Last edited:

serghei

You're overreacting man. You're doing the same thing again. On one hand you say everybody has to pass to Messi, that we are unbalanced, and all, and on the other hand you actually blame players for not playing great under these conditions and arrive at the conclusion that they are shit. Yea, OK so De Jong is not some Xavi-level midfielder who could shine a light on this chaos, but that doesn't make him shit.

Hmmm, can't you see how related A with B is? To play well, you need a well functioning team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans