Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdy

We apparently let go Messi and Griezman to fix our wage bill, plus reduced all the wages of captains.
And there is still more deadwood to sell/cut wage.
SO: There is no financial need to sell Frenkie.

So, no I can't understand it from any perspective. Because sporting-wise, (I have explained in many posts) it's a crime to let him go..

malvolio

Lt's see how it pans out. De Jong was absolutely great in Ten Haag's Ajax. I hope Xavi will implement something similar tot that.

not the kind of midfielder to build a barca team around. and certainly not the type of midfielder xavi would build a team around.

a busquets replacement and adeyemi for money obtained by selling frenkie? would take that right now.

jamrock

Sell, he is the highest value player that we have that could be relatively easily replaced, use that money to improve the overall squad.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Thing is, how poor are we? How much we trust our decision maker? I assume the answer to the later question is "not much" :lol:
For me, I think Frenkie is fairly easily replaceable, probably with a downgrade in same position but will be worth it if we invest the money wisely
A guy like Kessie for example if free agent, plays same position, asking for a salary that is less than what Frenkie gets.
If we can get him and invest 40M in Adeyami and rest on DM to replace Busquets? Is it worth it for me? I would say yes

Or get Bruno Guimaraes and Laporte for FDJ?

This would be great business from Laporta imo.

Birdy

Kessie is many levels below Frenkie, it's a hubris to put them in the same sentence.
His running and covering is good, but he does not have ability on the ball, and can't make progressive runs with the ball

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Kessie is many levels below Frenkie, it's a hubris to put them in the same sentence.
His running and covering is good, but he does not have ability on the ball, and can't make progressive runs with the ball

FdJ can have as many progressive runs with the ball as he wants, the issue is what he does after that , something that he didn't improve upon for a 3rd season now.

khaled_a_d

Kessie was actually protecting the ball very well last year, but he isn't doing well this season tbf,
Not sure I care much about progressive runs anyway, it isn't a thing I expect Xavi to encourage that much.

Co0ter

None of our midfield youngsters are anything special, with Pedri being the most promising. He can hold onto the ball nicely in tight quarters sometimes and find a clever short pass but that's about it. He lacks pace, gets shoved off the ball easy, isnt great at sprinting with the ball and his finishing is likely his worst ability.

Solid all around player, still better than the rest. Nothing that special though, I dont care if he's been called up to Spain either because they have also looked like shit overall.

Keeping Frenkie as our DM and actually cementing a role for him there based on his strengths should be the only reason we keep him. In Xavi's style of football, he isnt the type of player to thrive in either CM position. I really think he could be great at CM though with Xavi's guidance.

Last edited:

Birdy

FdJ can have as many progressive runs with the ball as he wants, the issue is what he does after that , something that he didn't improve upon for a 3rd season now.

He wasted his first season under Ernie and Setien.
And in his 2nd season under Koeman, he showed to be the only one in the squad capable of vertical runs.
He might improve his finishing if he is instructed better and keeps playing that position.
But, just for context, give me some mds that come from deep to score many goals AND do all the rest Frenkie does on the pitch.
I bet there is none.
There is a misguided belief that posits more and more requirements just for Frenkie

He was also fantastic as Libero for 1 month or so that he played there.
Basically he was top-3 of 20/21 overall for Barca.
Does not make any sense to discuss his exit.

Then, this whole discussion about Pivot (Busi type) and interiors, is a constant fixation modeled upon Pep's tinity of BusiXaviIniesta.
And, as pointed out many times, there is neither guarantee nor much sense in saying that we should always play like that
(even Pep does not play like that anymore)
and establish requirements based on the approximation of any player to Xavi-Iniesta if interiors or Busi if pivots

jamrock

None of our midfield youngsters are anything special, with Pedri being the most promising. He can hold onto the ball nicely in tight quarters sometimes and find a clever short pass but that's about it. He lacks pace, gets shoved off the ball easy, isnt great at sprinting with the ball and his finishing is likely his worst ability.

Solid all around player, still better than the rest. Nothing that special though, I dont care if he's been called up to Spain either because they have also looked like shit overall.

Keeping Frenkie as our DM and actually cementing a role for him there based on his strengths should be the only reason we keep him. In Xavi's style of football, he isnt the type of player to thrive in either CM position. I really think he could be great at CM though with Xavi's guidance.

Normally a good poster but wrong on too many counts here re our young midfielders, everything in reality suggest they are special talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans