Gabriel Jesus

Jombi

With all due respect. Should we really consider the brazilian league as "one of the best" ?

Yes? Its in the top 10. I'd say only the Russian and Portuguese league can compete with the Brazilian league outside the French, Spanish, English, German and Italian.

opjeoff

Meh. There will always be someone else we can sign.

Both Jesus and Dembele turned us down so it's not for lack of trying.

I agree, a year ago few people knew about Dembele and Jesus and now they are both at top clubs. There will always be a next big star we can sign.

Yannik

Yes? Its in the top 10. I'd say only the Russian and Portuguese league can compete with the Brazilian league outside the French, Spanish, English, German and Italian.

Compete? Both the russian and the portuguese league are much ahead, same applies to the dutch, turkish and maybe even belgian league.
Yeah maybe it is somewhere at the bottom of a fictional top 10 list, but that wouldnt really make it "one of the best leagues" unless you mean by that, that its blowing away the likes of the National Soccer League of Burma, the Fijian Division 1 or 190 other domestic competitions of that size.

F

Flavia

With all due respect. Should we really consider the brazilian league as "one of the best" ?

Br league is in a bad, bad shape. A handful of teams are good, most are pure garbage. russian and pt leagues are currently better.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Out of curiosity, what makes the Russian and the Turkish league better than the Brazilian one? They have better players?

F

Flavia

Out of curiosity, what makes the Russian and the Turkish league better than the Brazilian one? They have better players?

I don't know about the turkish. But both the portuguese and russian leagues are better organized, with better teams and referees. More money. Cbf's corruption have a big part on this.

Yannik

Yeah, better clubs, better players, more money etc russian league is rich as hell and even competes with top 5 league players for the signing of players at times.
The turkish league is similar to the brazilian league in the sense of it being partially a retirement league. But it also has many players from top 5 midtable teams and also rejects from bigger teams like Gomez, Quaresma, Podolski or Nani who are seeking form recovery there, often with success. The Istanbul teams or the bigger russian teams are strong enough to beat the group stage in the CL. Couldnt see any brazilian team do that tbh.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, better clubs, better players, more money etc russian league is rich as hell and even competes with top 5 league players for the signing of players at times.
The turkish league is similar to the brazilian league in the sense of it being partially a retirement league. But it also has many players from top 5 midtable teams and also rejects from bigger teams like Gomez, Quaresma, Podolski or Nani who are seeking form recovery there, often with success. The Istanbul teams or the bigger russian teams are strong enough to beat the group stage in the CL. Couldnt see any brazilian team do that tbh.

I don't know man, I don't know if you can use money to measure how good a league is. For example the Chinese Super League (CSL) has teams that have a ton of money but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very bad league. The same with teams which could afford a ton of money to buy players, some of who are pretty good. My point is, if you have a league made up of teams whose majority of players are mediocre or bad and you have a few big-name European and South American stars sprinkled around these teams, are they really that good?

I know nothing about Brazilian football but I think on a good day they can probably give some European teams a run for their money, no?

Yannik

I don't know man, I don't know if you can use money to measure how good a league is. For example the Chinese Super League (CSL) has teams that have a ton of money but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very bad league. The same with teams which could afford a ton of money to buy players, some of who are pretty good. My point is, if you have a league made up of teams whose majority of players are mediocre or bad and you have a few big-name European and South American stars sprinkled around these teams, are they really that good?

I know nothing about Brazilian football but I think on a good day they can probably give some European teams a run for their money, no?

of course they can, why not?
The overall quality players in all three leagues are mediocre but two leagues have those couple of stars while the third has not (or at least not long because they get bought then).
We wouldnt know if Ponte Prata could beat Amkar Perm, and they'll most probably never face each other in a football match, but the 3-4 top clubs in turkey or russia do look significantly stronger to me than their brazilian counterparts imo

Falcao

Just had a horrible miss against South Africa. Don't know much about him or Gabigol but based on this game the latter is a lot more impressive.

Jombi

Compete? Both the russian and the portuguese league are much ahead, same applies to the dutch, turkish and maybe even belgian league.
Yeah maybe it is somewhere at the bottom of a fictional top 10 list, but that wouldnt really make it "one of the best leagues" unless you mean by that, that its blowing away the likes of the National Soccer League of Burma, the Fijian Division 1 or 190 other domestic competitions of that size.

Why the need for the snark? The Brazilian league is one of the best leagues in the world. Thats why it is one of the very few leagues we buy players from. I disagree that the Dutch, Turkish and Belgian league is far better than the Brazilian league. We are not looking in the Belgian league for players like we do in Brazil.

Last edited:

Jombi

but the 3-4 top clubs in turkey or russia do look significantly stronger to me than their brazilian counterparts imo

Thats not the definition of strength. The strength in depth is what matters when it comes to the strength of the league and the Brazilian clubs produce so many quality footballers that the depth of the league is superior to countries like Belgium, Turkey and the Dutch league. Maybe the Russian league is stronger I agree with that. But only the Russian and Portuguese league can make a claim that they are better leagues, as the Brazilian league is right up there among the best leagues.

Last edited:

Yannik

Thats not the definition of strength. The strength in depth is what matters when it comes to the strength of the league and the Brazilian clubs produce so many quality footballers that the depth of the league is superior to countries like Belgium, Turkey and the Dutch league. Maybe the Russian league is stronger I agree with that. Portugal probably too, but the Brazilian league is right up there among the best leagues.

A good point, but those players they produce are leaving that league and there are no proper replacements for them because their reach for transfers is limitted to only the south american continent simply because no european player ships over to earn his money in a south american league.
And the leftovers are washed up 35-45 yr old former stars with stamina issues heading for retirement and thousands of players noone is interested in.

Turkey, Russia, Netherlands etc are not facing this problem, or at least not in this extend, because they can constantly attract players from all continents, including south america thus having a much larger pool for replacements whenever they need it.
Also the dutch Eredivise isnt any worse than the brazilian league when it comes to talents and youth developement. Arguably even better. . Almost every big- and small european club has several former Eredivise players.

Last edited:

Jombi

A good point, but those players they produce are leaving that league and there are no proper replacements for them because their reach for transfers is limitted to only the south american continent simply because no european player ships over to earn his money in a south american league.
And the leftovers are washed up 35-45 yr old former stars heading for retirement and thousands of players noone is interested in.

Turkey, Russia, Netherlands etc are not facing this problem, or at least not in this extend, because they can constantly attract players from all continents, including south america thus having a much larger pool for replacements whenever they need it.
Also the dutch Eredivise isnt any worse than the brazilian league when it comes to talents and youth developement. Arguably even better. . Almost every big- and small european club has several former Eredivise players.

There are always replacements in the pipelines in Brazil. It is a conveyor belt of great players like the teams in the Netherlands, Turkey and Belgium simply dont have. Mid or bottom level clubs in Belgium focus on what they can find in their home country by and large. Thats also the case for the other teams in those leagues you mention. In the last few years, 10 different teams have won or ended runner-up in the Brazilian league. So there is more variety and it is misleading to simply focus on top 2 or top 3 teams. Thats why we are always looking in the Brazilian league.

Home of Barca Fans