Gerard Deulofeu

Lucas_1993

Been watching him a lot in the PL. Been a joy to watch and his goal today was brilliant. He is a very exciting talent and is bound to get more starts for sure. He started Everton's game against Stoke last weekend and was one of the best players on the pitch but was used of the bench for the United game and Arsenal one. Although he would like more starts he is being handled very well by Martinez. Using him the right way. He still has many flaws though. Tries the spectacular far too much and is far too selfish. The amount of time he goes on a run and has an easy option to pass but shoots and messes up the move happens far too much and this is something he needs to learn. Football is a team game but his positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

He has it all. Pace, tricks, agility, strength and will get more goals with experience. But would it be beneficial to see him back on loan at Everton next season? Definitely. Play a similar footballing style and I think he will learn more and develop there rather than getting cameo mins at Barca and he is playing in a league where he is developing tactically, physically and mentally. No doubt though that he will be a star for Barca eventually though and is really an exciting talent.

JamDav1982

Bartra debuted with Pep. I'm pretty sure he'd have more playing time with Pep than he did with Tito. Pep also called Deulofeu more than one time. But I think he never left the bench, or if he did it was a friendly. But it's a pretty good indicative that he saw the potential he has. Keirrisson was on txiki, btw. Anyhow, feel free to have the last word on how the philosophy's still the same and nothing's changed ;)

So as long as a manager debuts a player it doesnt matter how often he plays after that?

Guardiola never relied on Bartra at all and he was older and in a more needed position so to assume he would give someone like Duelofeu a bigger chance is jut guessing with no basis.

You can assume all you like he would have played more under Pep but at 20/21 he played less and was never relied upon or give any real chance.

Its strange that you say that Deulofeus loan appears to be working but then still dont like it as its 'against philosophy'.

The only philosophy is developing the young players and trying to keep the best ones - loans will play a bigger part in that due to the strength of squad if the young players are not quite ready.

Keirrison and Henrique were on txiki - who operated under Laporta. Those transfers were far more against the philosophy of the club than anything going on now.

Alg1878

Very happy with the score today, especially as we played some excellent football and we have become really enjoyable to watch under Martinez.

Gerard's goal was fantastic, i'm delighted for him. Yes he only got another 15 min cameo which he could have gotten at Barca, but judging buy the way we played today Martinez made the right call leaving him on the bench.

I know there is a bit of a argument going on in the thread at the moment and you will all know about the opportunities he would get to play for the Barca first team but I can tell you that come the end of the season, he will have played a lot more football than some of you expect. I do agree with the posters who claim that there is a difference in the substitute appearances he would be making, as when he comes on for Everton there is a purpose. He is being given the responsibility to try and change a game in some way and there is expectation from fans who are right on top of you screaming, whereas coming on for you when you are 3-0 up would be similar to a training match. So although he would bee getting minutes, would he actually be getting any experience?

Also I believe Gerard with come back not only a better player but a better person after being at Everton. He has been pushed out of his comfort zone coming to us but he seems to be well liked at the club and I believe he will return not only as a better player but a more mature, well rounded young man too.

Paganinisrvnge

Personally, I think the loan move has been a fantastic idea. He's going to develop a lot more as the season goes on and possibly even start most matches. Martinez clearly has a lot of confidence in him and for good reason. Deulofeu would only be getting 10 minute appearances in 4-0 matches at Barcelona. He's going to come back ready to be a star at Barcelona. I don't think we should get rid of Tello as he has shown good potential and can still make an impact. Pedro on the other hand has been sub-par for a few years now.

jamrock

given that tata is our manage the loan he good due to his style of play, if it were tito or pep in change, unless he became one of the stars of the prem it would have been a waste, then again even if he did it would still have been one, because we would have to throw away almost everything he pick up their.

with tata's verticalization its pretty good.

should be continue to loan out our best players, hell no. keep them in house its what we have always gone and it has worked.

DinhoR10

No, I don't. I'm referring to special players, like Deulofeu. The loan was the way to go because Barça don't have a manager like Pep here. Just look at Cuenca during Pep's days.
And Cesc came back for a lot of money, when he wasn't even needed, as there was a better prospect here that ended up leaving due to this "new" approach. I surely hope the same doesn't need to happen again.

Yeah kinda sucks when you think about it, if cesc wasn't bought thiago would still be here most likely. Same thing that just happened to Tello too, Neymar in Tello out basically.

JamDav1982

given that tata is our manage the loan he good due to his style of play, if it were tito or pep in change, unless he became one of the stars of the prem it would have been a waste, then again even if he did it would still have been one, because we would have to throw away almost everything he pick up their.

with tata's verticalization its pretty good.

should be continue to loan out our best players, hell no. keep them in house its what we have always gone and it has worked.

Would you rather keep young players in the b team and occasional largely dead minutes for the first team if they are not quite ready?

Personally I think that has held some players back a bit and Bartra, Montoya, Sergi Roberto would all have benifited on going on loan to sides with similar philosophies to Barcelona.

I think the key to whether or not he should return next season will be his consistency. It's easy enough to forget that before this game, most fans would've thought it better to have him on loan for another season, but after his performance there will be many calls to bring him back. The difference, is that at Everton he can have a bad game & still get away with it. But at Barca, if the manager picks him up as a sub ahead of Alexis or Pedro & he ends up not performing; it'll probably be a long time before he gets the same chance again.

khaled_a_d

Would you rather keep young players in the b team and occasional largely dead minutes for the first team if they are not quite ready?

Personally I think that has held some players back a bit and Bartra, Montoya, Sergi Roberto would all have benifited on going on loan to sides with similar philosophies to Barcelona.

Those players aren't in the same level/talent that Gerard is,they are good players with potential to be starters in the team ,those are the same type of players we used to actually loan few years ago
Gerard is a potential star,may be even a superstar in his prime . the players you have mentioned should have been actually loaned,just like Rafa,Cuenca did,Probably Tello should have been loaned too ,and remember ,attackers usually develop younger than defenders and midfield players
It isn't just about playing time ,training everyday with&against the likes of Messi/Iniesta/Puyol/Pique/Xavi etc ,can help player tremendously .
Most top talents in most teams aren't loaned a lot for this reason,you are supposed to have gr8 player and a coach,if your coach is capable of developing player(like Pep&Rijkaard) it is always better to keep the top talent competing with the best

Jaguar

Flair Trait
It's good to see that he's gained Martinez's confidence as time goes by, but I'm a little worried Deulo will opt to stay in the PL.

I doubt that will be the case, he is Catalan afterall and will feel a special connection with the club, it's especially evident he wants to succeed at Barcelona as top clubs have been trying to secure his services permanently from when he was a kid.

Maria

But it is. The philosophy is to develop the players in Barcelona. Like Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Busi, Pedro, Puyol, etc. Sending them away more often than not backfires. Thankfully is working for Deulo.

I would wait until the end of the season to make that statement..and even if he succeeds at Everton, that doesn't mean that he will come back at Barca and be integrated in our system immediatedly. We saw this with Cesc and I for one I'm trying not to get my hopes up until I see him back at our club.

The squad is stronger now than ever before.

Zubi aproves your statement.

Pep days? What about Bartra in the Pep days? He was a year older than Deulofeu is now and was never played and full backs and centre midfielders were played ahead of him.
A bit too simplistic to say he would have played under Pep.
Cuenca was given a chance no doubting that but he never had the players on front of him that Deulofeu does and is probably at this stage not good enough for Barcelona anyway.
Plenty of young players were not given big chances under Pep at the age of 19 while others like Bojan career stalled under him.
Deulofeu will learn more on loan at Everton than he would getting dead minutes at Barca.
Would you have him as a first team squad member now? Assuming you have a squad of two players for every position?

I can't believe you don't accept Flavia comparing Deulofeu with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, but then you go and compare Deulofeu with with Bartra or Bojan. Deulofeu was a special player and he was treated as such from the beginning(do you know that he now has a salary of 2.5M euros, more than any other youngster from our team?). The only youngster with whom Pep had to deal while he was at Barca and was similar to Deulofeu was Thiago(so it's fair to say that Pep would have asked Deulo to switch between the first team and the B team, like he did with Thiago in 2010-2011; the only thing we don't know is if he would have accepted this). So the only simplistic thing is to say that because "Bojan career stalled under him"(good thing that he has taken a step forward at Roma, Milan and Ajax) Deulofeu would not have minutes this season.

Situations change and despite that Barcelona have always loaned out players that were not ready or not quite good enough for the first team squad.

And I don't remember the last one that returned to Barca and was succesfull..but hey, who cares about that?

Keirrison and Henrique were on txiki - who operated under Laporta. Those transfers were far more against the philosophy of the club than anything going on now.

:rofl1:

Yeah..now we pay 8M for the right to ask for 3 brazilians and we spend more on the 2nd team in one year than we have been in all the years with Laporta. Also, how ironic is that the agent who brought us Keirrison and Henrique is also the one who handled the negotiations for Neymar?

I doubt that will be the case, he is Catalan afterall and will feel a special connection with the club, it's especially evident he wants to succeed at Barcelona as top clubs have been trying to secure his services permanently from when he was a kid.

Deulofeu is more spanish than Iniesta..but yes, he probably wants to succeed at Barca more than anything.

Last edited:

abual3bed1

Martinez: " We have an agreement with Barcleona to keep Gerard for next season if they don't want him in the 1st team yet ".

Home of Barca Fans