Gerard Piqué

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
Perhaps I should not feed the troll but..... I don't see what the big deal is about EPL defenders. Why does one automatically assume they're better than everyone else.

Terry? Showing his weaknesses now that his stronger CB partner (Carvalho) is gone. Slow and rather poor at defending set-pieces anyway. Ferdinand? Was quite good a few years ago, but showing his age. Vidic is good, yes, and the one off that list I actually rate as 'very good'. Vermaelen? As stated, poor positional sense.

I'd rate Walter Samuel, Lucio, Vidic, Chiellini, Silva, Carvalho, Pepe, and Nesta as probably the best currently playing for clubs other than Barcelona. Pique and Puyol are IMO probably the strongest CB pairing right now at bot club and NT level. Pique is very, very good, though his positioning at times could improve (this will come with experience).

I'm surprised I didn't see Oguchi Onyewu on that list.

Pique is better than Vidic. Please take your thick ManU glasses off.

When you actually watch a game live.. Come back. Bye.

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
It's a difficult one. For example it could be argued that Pique isn't under as much pressure as Terry or Vidic might find themselves in and therefore, Terry and Vidic (assuming they cope well with the oppositions attacking pressure) have a higher claim to being better defenders. It's difficult to call on an individual level, especially between Pique and Vidic, but Vidic is certainly the better athlete although Pique is no slouch.

However, Pique is producing some of the most consistent defensive performances of any defender in the world and has been ever since he re-joined Barca, so that can't be ignored.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Would you kindly share Johnny Evans playing statistics with Pique's since Pique left Manchester United please, Viva?

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Whats the problem, Pique is one of thebest in the world. So are Vidic and Rio, all three are wonderful CB's, Rio at his peak was the best defender in the world. Vidic has been amazingly consistent. they are the best partnership.

Pique is by far the best young CB in the world, head and shoulders above everyone else. Better than Puyol now aswell. So has time on his side and is looking a dead cert to be the best in the world in the future

:lol: @Vermaelan. the guys a donkey.

Carvalho is good, but is a dirty bastard and i hate everything he does on the pitch, so will never rate him as highly as the others.

Terry, he is very good if you have your back 4 stationed on the 6 yard box, and will throw himself in front of aything, but any sort of space in behind the back 4 and he is fucked. I've seen quicker manitee's.

Top 5 just now?

1.Vidic
2.Pique
3.Samuel
4.Nesta (still rate him as the best when fuly fit, which is rarely)
5.Lucio

W

woobie

Hah. Why should I include Onyewu on any list? He's awful most of the time (Confed Cup excepted). Not gonna work if you think slating US players is going to bother me in the slightest. Sorry. :)

I mostly agree with Silky's post -- though I wouldn't give Ferdinand 'best in the world' at any time. I just don't think he was ever that good.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Hah. Why should I include Onyewu on any list? He's awful most of the time (Confed Cup excepted). Not gonna work if you think slating US players is going to bother me in the slightest. Sorry. :)

I mostly agree with Silky's post -- though I wouldn't give Ferdinand 'best in the world' at any time. I just don't think he was ever that good.

07-08 season? was uniteds best player after Ronaldo.

Onyewo is a terrifying human being, i would hate to have that monster marking me..:lol:

Trequartista

The good
if Pique lacks sth then its consistency at such young age,apart from our last 3 games,he has been ina horrible form this year and was our worst defender this year,Vidic is for sure ahead of him for now but Pique maybe more suitable to our style and he will become a far better defender than any other defender on earth,a partnership of Pique and vidic maybe one of the best in hisory,right now no other defender on earth is even close to,them,they are ompletely different and if they play with each othem,they will complete themselves

Fourteen

Monster Masch
John Terry was best defender in Europe at one point. Ferdinand and Vidic were the best defensive partnership in the Europe at one point.

Times change, players burst on to the scene, they improve - Pique certainly falls into that category.

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
Would you kindly share Johnny Evans playing statistics with Pique's since Pique left Manchester United please, Viva?

I'm sure you can find it.

:not_i:

Now here is a dumb post! Don't come back. Bye.

Bye.

W

woobie

Meh, okay perhaps, Silky. Thing with me is that I've got really high standards in terms of who I think is a Really Good Defender. The best defensive line I've seen play is that from the 89-94 (or thereabouts) Milan squad. I don't think Ferdinand would stand a chance at displacing either of those centerbacks. Pique's good enough to eventually do so. Just needs to work a bit on positioning and concentration.

Home of Barca Fans