Gerard Piqué

karthik

Good game from Gerard. Should keep building this up. He looks very vulnerable and gets beaten easily on the flanks for the past two seasons, when he defends 1 on 1 against a winger/striker. You dont want that from a player, who has been the best center back in the world. He is too young to lose that potency.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
1354401124_extras_albumes_0.jpg

kostasgtc

Good game from Gerard. Should keep building this up. He looks very vulnerable and gets beaten easily on the flanks for the past two seasons, when he defends 1 on 1 against a winger/striker. You dont want that from a player, who has been the best center back in the world. He is too young to lose that potency.
+1

Ursegor

World Champion

I always thought he was a tad overrated because of this. 1 on 1 defending isn't really his biggest strength. He's not a Puyol-esque or Mascherano-esque warrior (although he's still young and can improve). But what really impresses me about him is his positioning and reading of the game. It's flawless most of the time. Yesterday he recovered 14 balls, mostly by being at the right place at the right time. And that's much more important than winning 1 on 1 battles but being all over the place positionally IMO (see Mascherano). The stability at the back is so different with him in the backline. Is it really a coincidence that we had possibly our best 2 performances in the Tito era against Levante (second half) and Athletic Bilbao after Pique's return? His presence makes the whole team play better. He's also the only CB in the world who could have initiated a counterattack like the one in the 90th minute yesterday. THAT was Piquenbauer-esque.

So just 2 things to improve. 1 on 1s (he should just try to dispossess Messi a whole day in training). And headers. For a big man he's really awful at heading a ball after corner kicks.

Stric

I love Pique's forward runs when he does them like he did last night. Not too often and unpredictably.

Home of Barca Fans