Gerard Piqué

Gaudi

he doesn't look too professional to me, pepole can say anything about CR but he works hard, has huge ambition to be the best, Pique is without that. He is, what CR said, good looking, rich and famous but lacks that drive

Irish_Cules

He needs to learn to be a leader in the defence and become more focused. Puyol's time as Barca's leader at the back is pretty much over and Pique needs to come to terms with that. There's no doubt that he has the talent but his mental strength leaves a lot to be desired.
One part of Graham Hunter's Barca book sticks out to me in relation to Pique. There was some match where Barca were struggling and Puyol was brought on. Pique turned to him and said something like, "Boy Puyi, thank god you're here. I missed you out here". Puyol told him to shut up and concentrate. That says it all really.

Stric

He needs to learn to be a leader in the defence and become more focused. Puyol's time as Barca's leader at the back is pretty much over and Pique needs to come to terms with that. There's no doubt that he has the talent but his mental strength leaves a lot to be desired.
One part of Graham Hunter's Barca book sticks out to me in relation to Pique. There was some match where Barca were struggling and Puyol was brought on. Pique turned to him and said something like, "Boy Puyi, thank god you're here. I missed you out here". Puyol told him to shut up and concentrate. That says it all really.

Not exactly. Puyol was playing for the first time after a long injury, that's why Pique said he missed him. It was more of a "good to have you back" type of thing, from what I gather. When you put it the way you did, it looks as if Pique told him he missed him in the sense that he needed his guidance in that game.

But yes, Pique definitely needs a kick in the ass to get him to step up, whether it comes from Puyol or Pep. Or now Tito. But Tito doesn't seem to have the balls to pull the kind of stuff Pep did.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

Puyol told him to shut up and concentrate. That says it all really.

Exactly. Otherwise complacency sinks in. Today Barça had no real leaders. Messi certainly isn't a leader like Puyol, Xavi, Valdes or even Iniesta

Irish_Cules

Not exactly. Puyol was playing for the first time after a long injury, that's why Pique said he missed him. It was more of a "good to have you back" type of thing, from what I gather. When you put it the way you did, it looks as if Pique told him he missed him in the sense that he needed his guidance in that game.

From what I remember there was an element of Pique missing him on the pitch. The whole message about the chapter on their partnership was how they were good for each other. Pique's lightheartedness and fun-loving personality helping in terms of not taking life so seriously all the time, and Puyol helping Pique concentrate on the pitch,

But yes, Pique definitely needs a kick in the ass to get him to step up, whether it comes from Puyol or Pep. Or now Tito. But Tito doesn't seem to have the balls to pull the kind of stuff Pep did.

Tbf, benching Pique isn't really an option IMO, since Masch isn't a CB and Bartra's too inexperienced (though he should have got more playing time IMO). He's good for his lack of experience but not good enough to start IMO. If Pique were benched at any point in the season, the options for our starting CB pairing would have been:

Puyol (34 years old) and Masch (not a CB)
Masch (not a CB) and Bartra (inexperienced)
Puyol (34 years old) and Bartra (inexperienced)

Like I said, I don't really see how benching Pique is an option.

Also, this is why I think getting 2 CBs is a good idea. One to replace Puyol as the starter and one to provide depth and a legitimate challenge to Pique's starting spot. It'll give Bartra less playing time though...

Stric

That did turn out a bit wrong, though. I probably should have said that I don't believe Tito would do it even if he had other options. Just like he insists on playing Pedro/Alexis even when he has a very efficient Tello around. It's obvious that with only Pique, Mascherano and Bartra (and Puyol when he is around), there's not that many to choose from.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Come to think of it, that rumor of Pep wanting to get rid of Alves, Pique, Cesc and Villa makes whole lot of sense now.

Irish_Cules

Come to think of it, that rumor of Pep wanting to get rid of Alves, Pique, Cesc and Villa makes whole lot of sense now.

Apparently the rumour was completely false but ye you can see the reasoning behind it. Not that I agree with with it but you can understand it.

Meitux

To me Pique's attitude is to blame. He's one of those people who wont work hard unless someone kicks his ass like Puyol. He's not good enough for Barca or any top club and definitely cant lead a defence. Wish we had options so he could be benched like Pep did. maybe that will wake him up
i agree he is not someone who can ''make his hands dirty'' or try to give 100 % and be focused into football.He cares not to hit his beatiful face and mess his hair...In other words i believe he is not a world class defender,Word class defenders work hard,He doesnt and surely he cant be a leader of a defense or a leader of a team generally

Galning

They need to bench him but, as others already said, fortunately for Piqué we have no options available. I really hope we finally buy a defender this summer.

Home of Barca Fans