Gerard Piqué

F

Flavia

@shakira 43 min Daddy and son waiting for Milan's passport!

358rojo.jpg

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Now or then it doesn't matter, beside Pique and Puyol, the only good central defender this club has seen since Nadal in the mid 90s is Marquez. A bunch have passed and all have failed, Couto, Blanc, Pellegrino, Bogarde, Dehu, Christanval, Coco, Andersson, Thuram, Milito, Caceres and Chygrynskiy, all of these came with the promise to fix the defense, they all unanimously failed.

Not to mention all the failed Full-backs and Wing-back, such illustrious names as Zambrotta, De Boer or Sorín.

FC Barcelona has a track record of failed defenders that deserves its own chapter in the guinness book of world records, it is that bad.

Even though some are good examples, De Boer wasn't bad at all. Second, just because Pique might be better than others at the club doesn't mean he is a top-level performer. It can also be that you are 'least bad'. All that has said above you can not deny; physically mediocre, weak heading, not that fast and not light-footed (I don't know how else to call it...). He wouldn't fear me if I were an opposing striker, tbh.

Yes, I do like Pique and still believe he should be in the starting lineup as long as we do not have better. But I still stand for my argument that he just isn't a world-class footballer. He just isn't.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Now or then it doesn't matter, beside Pique and Puyol, the only good central defender this club has seen since Nadal in the mid 90s is Marquez. A bunch have passed and all have failed, Couto, Blanc, Pellegrino, Bogarde, Dehu, Christanval, Coco, Andersson, Thuram, Milito, Caceres and Chygrynskiy, all of these came with the promise to fix the defense, they all unanimously failed.

Not to mention all the failed Full-backs and Wing-back, such illustrious names as Zambrotta, De Boer or Sorín.

FC Barcelona has a track record of failed defenders that deserves its own chapter in the guinness book of world records, it is that bad.

I agree with you on most names but Frank de Boer was a quality defender.
Sorin was great as well but we only had him on loan, I think.

As for Caceres.. he would easily be our best defender now.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

Milito was only poor during his last season, he was solid before that

jamrock

Sell pique,masch, bartra retire puyol and buy Silva,kompany,chilleini and vertonghen they have all achieved more than the defenders we have anyways and don't forget alves, pedro and Sanchez

aaron101

I wouldn't mind selling Pique to be honest. Even Pedro. But those things are impossible since they came from La Masia.

Xtroverto

Even though some are good examples, De Boer wasn't bad at all. Second, just because Pique might be better than others at the club doesn't mean he is a top-level performer. It can also be that you are 'least bad'. All that has said above you can not deny; physically mediocre, weak heading, not that fast and not light-footed (I don't know how else to call it...). He wouldn't fear me if I were an opposing striker, tbh.

Yes, I do like Pique and still believe he should be in the starting lineup as long as we do not have better. But I still stand for my argument that he just isn't a world-class footballer. He just isn't.

De Boer was past his prime when he joined Barcelona, at Ajax he was great yes but at Barcelona he never impressed me, in fact I was utterly disappointed considering how great he was in the early and mid 1990s. He was better than Abelardo for sure but even I'm better than Abelardo. In fact, the best defender we had during the De Boer years was a young Puyol running like a mad man covering his as.

Anyway, Pique is a quality defender, like every defender he has weak spots but over all he is the best defender this club has seen beside Puyol, Nadal, Koeman and Migueli. At least since the early 1980s. Kompany and Hummels are great defenders in their clubs, but there are no guarantees that they will not flop in Barcelona and that at a premium.

Last edited:
Like I said before, Pique has the talent IMO. He is world class in that aspect. His problem is that he's too inconsistent and underperforms way too often. I think getting the right CB to pair him with and perhaps 1 more CB to challenge him for that starting spot can help solve the problem.

Home of Barca Fans