Gerard Piqué

What would be realistic solution for our lack of proper defenders till 2016 ? I would start Mathieu and Bartra.
Go with Mascherano and keep an underperforming Busquets as DM, keep rotate the other 3 and hope that through a Miracle that Vermaleen can play some games and that he then proves that he is better than the other 3 i guess. What can we do.

footyfan

Calma, calma
What would be a realistic solution for our lack of proper defenders till 2016 ? I would start Mathieu and Bartra and hoping they form an excellent partnership.

Accept that the Barca defence is below par for a top club and get the rest of the team to work harder to protect them. Essentially what Sabella did with Argentina in the World Cup. This would mean sacrificing their current playing style and preferred positions for the superstar players.

It may seem like an unrealistic solution but look at frikking Real Madrid's midfield - James Kroos Modric Isco. Possibly the most lightweight midfield 4 among any top clubs. But Carlo got James and Isco to radically change how they play and sacrifice their natural instincts. They also have the tactical flexibility to switch from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 depending on the game situation. However, I don't see the same hunger and quality in the Barca midfield to adjust and prove themselves. Rakitic is OK, but you're gonna find it really hard to change Xavi, Iniesta, Sergi Roberto or even Busquets' style of play.

Mascherano in midfield would be the first step, but not in a 4-3-3. Also going to need a lot more defensive work from Messi, Neymar and Suarez. Barca's right flank was exposed in the first half because Xavi and Suarez made no efforts to support Alves. The same thing happened last Clasico in the Bernabeu when Neymar let Di Maria have the game of his life against Alves.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Also recognizing that other teams are as talented and as good, if not better, than Barca offensively. Show some respect to the other team's offence and play a bit more defensive. The amount of space Barca affords to attackers of big teams is unnerving, either they are ignorant about the threats posed by the other teams or they just don't care, neither of which are justified.

CuleLife4Life

Still sickened he gave away a penalty. Ironically I'd been having bad thoughts of him scoring an own goal but this is pretty much the same thing.

Lucho also acknowledged it during this presser that it was a clear penalty. I'm hoping that means Pique is now benched for a couple of weeks. Might as well bring on Bartra. Can't do worse and we aren't facing any really hard teams in the next couple of fixtures in La Liga.

poldep

I really think we are being naive if we think Pique will be benched. He will start almost every game this season, unfortunately.

CuleLife4Life

I really think we are being naive if we think Pique will be benched. He will start almost every game this season, unfortunately.

Sadly you're right. I must admit I was fooled by Lucho. I thought he'd bring in a more disciplinary approach as manager instead of giving the players free reign. I still think we'll have either CDR or La Liga success this season, but I definitely am not impressed with how he manages the players. Xavi shouldn't have started the game today. Rakitic on the bench was sad. Pique can f*ck up all he wants and nothing will happen.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Still sickened he gave away a penalty. Ironically I'd been having bad thoughts of him scoring an own goal but this is pretty much the same thing.

Lucho also acknowledged it during this presser that it was a clear penalty. I'm hoping that means Pique is now benched for a couple of weeks. Might as well bring on Bartra. Can't do worse and we aren't facing any really hard teams in the next couple of fixtures in La Liga.

His stupid answers to the press are like adding insult to injury... Regarding the penatly, he said that he can't tackle with his hands/arm behind his back because it'd be anti-aesthetic (What. The. Fuck!) and that he thinks the team isn't playing that bad... Seriously?

abual3bed1

It's his answer to almost every situation. Throw yourself on the ground, trying to get use of the 193cm brainless body he got, hope the opponent doesn't lob it over him. He could've easily cleared it had he stayed on his feet.

Chong Li

Seriously, this guy should just retire already and be Mr. Shakira fulltime.

Completely unprofessional, lazy, stupid, arrogant.

F

Flavia

Accept that the Barca defence is below par for a top club and get the rest of the team to work harder to protect them. Essentially what Sabella did with Argentina in the World Cup. This would mean sacrificing their current playing style and preferred positions for the superstar players.

It may seem like an unrealistic solution but look at frikking Real Madrid's midfield - James Kroos Modric Isco. Possibly the most lightweight midfield 4 among any top clubs. But Carlo got James and Isco to radically change how they play and sacrifice their natural instincts. They also have the tactical flexibility to switch from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 depending on the game situation. However, I don't see the same hunger and quality in the Barca midfield to adjust and prove themselves. Rakitic is OK, but you're gonna find it really hard to change Xavi, Iniesta, Sergi Roberto or even Busquets' style of play.

Mascherano in midfield would be the first step, but not in a 4-3-3. Also going to need a lot more defensive work from Messi, Neymar and Suarez. Barca's right flank was exposed in the first half because Xavi and Suarez made no efforts to support Alves. The same thing happened last Clasico in the Bernabeu when Neymar let Di Maria have the game of his life against Alves.

Also recognizing that other teams are as talented and as good, if not better, than Barca offensively. Show some respect to the other team's offence and play a bit more defensive. The amount of space Barca affords to attackers of big teams is unnerving, either they are ignorant about the threats posed by the other teams or they just don't care, neither of which are justified.

Agree with this. I feared our right flank would let us down, and they did. Pique is doing a "Pedro". It's like he forgot how to be a CB. Time to bench him. A bit past it, I wouldn't had played him today after his last game.

F

Flavia

Bartra might be weaker, but there's no good reason for him not to start instead of Pique.

Barcilliant

Loan this rich, spoilt brat out!

The whole celebrity thing has gone to his head. Look at Ronaldo-he is a tool but he works his ass off and knows that football is his bread and butter. This idiot thinks he's a star first and a footballer second.

Home of Barca Fans