Gerard Piqué

silvia

Spain's minister for education, culture and sport, Inigo Mendez de Vigo, has been one of the senior figures to come out in support of Pique since that game and Del Bosque has now urged the country to unite behind his player.

"I have already said that I do not like the whistles," the 64-year-old told Onda Cero. "With our team Pique has had exemplary behavior in the 70 games he played.

"He is a special guy and we have to defend him. If I was to stop calling him up for the national team, there may be an actual reason for those ones who whistled him to do so. The fact [he is still playing] speak louder than words.

"I believe the issue [is] related to clashes between Real Madrid and Barcelona, rather than politics. This behaviour is difficult to stop, but some things should not be mixed with others.

"People get angry when I defend a player from the team and think I am favouring one club or another but Pique defends the shirt like any other player.

"For me, it is something small and I do not want to give it more importance."

On the issue of Catalan clubs one day breaking away from La Liga if the region was to gain independence from mainland Spain, Del Bosque stressed he was not in favour.

He continued: "I cannot imagine one the Spanish league without Barcelona and other Catalan clubs. In my opinion, the separation between Catalonia and Spain would be bad for both sides."

i feel the same with him. they boo for their political reasons? hell no. they are just sore losers who came to watch national games.
and no wonder, if there are madrid fans who came to watch to Oviedo, there will be boos. they might think it is fun. Its not catalan vs spain. no one see that way. football fans.

Stric

I'm not defending the people, they're absolute idiots for booing Pique, but let's not forget that Pique stirred this shit on his own. He knows what the people are like, he knows it will cause trouble in the NT, and he still couldn't help himself. There was no need to make those childish comments about RM after the European Supercup, especially since RM wasn't even the opponent. And especially since the players he was telling to go fuck themselves or whatever are his teammates in the NT. I love Pique and I have supported him throughout most of his shit, but the stuff he says is really unnecessary and immature. People often say how Xavi was never treated this way by the capital, but the truth is, unlike Pique, Xavi was always respectful towards them, as well.

What did he say?

I think it's something like: "Decima is something more than the World Cup"..

That's right, and the way I see it, he's glorifying RM's success and downplaying the NT, because there were Barca and other players involved.

Morten

Well, he started this whole thing with his stupid behaviour, cant really expect others to not give him shit for it.

F

Flavia

Well, he started this whole thing with his stupid behaviour, cant really expect others to not give him shit for it.

Ramos can't say anything about behaving during celebrations, though. He did the same(mocked atletico and their fans) when celebrating la decima. The difference is that madrid media makes a circus when it's Pique. There are atletico players in the nt squad too.

Zinedinho

What itches me about this even more is that Pique was booed in capital of Asturias, Oviedo. Region Villa is from and which he freely celebrated in Barca shirt.

Screw them all. We treat them too good here at Barca. Be it from Cameroon or some region of Asspanya.

When Gijon comes here I hope they boo the hell out of them. Would feel sorry for El Pitu but as I said, screw them all.

I see you're not familiar with the fierce rivalry between Oviedo and Gijón, both the cities and the clubs (when Real Oviedo existed). In fact, Gijón is more culé, while Oviedo is more merengue.

F

Flavia

I see you're not familiar with the fierce rivalry between Oviedo and Gijón, both the cities and the clubs (when Real Oviedo existed). In fact, Gijón is more culé, while Oviedo is more merengue.

Real Oviedo still exist. They're playing liga adelante this season.

Horatio

You're welcome
I have heard that players in Spain who ignore national call-ups will also be disqualified to play in La Liga.

Apparently it's the reason that Oleguer went on to play for Spain even if he didn't feel much for the Spanish national team. He went as far as to tell the coach that it would be smarter to call up someone who felt more motivated.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Oleguer has never played for Spain. He was in the pre squad for the World Cup in 2006 but did not manage to make the final squad.
Apart from that he was not part of the national team and refused to play for them.

Horatio

You're welcome
I am sorry, yeah you're right he never played for Spain. But apparently he had a talk with his coach about not having to play for Spain instead of just ignoring the call-up.

My sources are weak, but I thought maybe someone else heard something similar. Maybe that person who said this read Oleguer's book. I dunno...

Home of Barca Fans