Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
It's not as trivial as this. There are powers in every club. Not saying clans (which also exist) in the dressing rooms. And they have enough power to show their discomfort in certain ways. I definitely don't find these recent poor performances normal. Even against Almeria the team wasn't sharp despite the win. I hope the players do not drag this to the Champions League as well.

Showing discomfort is one thing but if what they do on the pitch is actually being done on purpose its completely messed up and disgraceful

mazp

Yeah things have spiraled, but I don't think it just one thing. This is a collection of things happening and just piling on to contribute to the outcome.

Though I just don't want to believe that the players got mad at Martino because of Sociedad, and are just giving up on him, specially coming of the City victory. If this is what is happening, the players should feel damn ashamed of themselves. If that is what is happening, I'd lose a ton of respect for them.

Then what else can it be? You don't drop 14 points from 9 games, when you only drop 5 from the first 18. Something clearly happened from the new yr. Coincendently, when the Jordi Cases case came up which ultimately poisoned the atmosphere in the dressing room. Which played a part

footyfan

Calma, calma
Then what else can it be? You don't drop 14 points from 9 games, when you only drop 5 from the first 18. Something clearly happened from the new yr. Coincendently, when the Jordi Cases case came up which ultimately poisoned the atmosphere in the dressing room. Which played a part

Yes you can. Just ask Arsenal.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Showing discomfort is one thing but if what they do on the pitch is actually being done on purpose its completely messed up and disgraceful

You may say so. But in every field there are some unwritten rules. And the players have enough power these days to decide if they want to play to their best or not. Tactics, coaches, fans, titles...all will be irrelevant to the players' wills.

Devils

An absolutely awful coach, like mentioned before he should be removed immediately.

Poor motivator, poor tactician, poor responses under pressure (has he EVER made a substitution before the 60 minute mark?), just poor on all accounts. No one expected Guardiola, but this is just embarrassing.

Absolutely pathetic, I could not be more embarrassed of a team with such a high caliber.

Neymessi

I don't think martino should be sacked.He was awesome in the 1st part of the season. And its not we are miles away from the first spot. The players were more to blame for the match today...Everyone played like shit today.I have hardly seen barca play well in away sunny games this season.What was tata's fault exactly in todays game??It was the players crappy passing. Fifa virus always strikes. Sacking a coach cause he is not leading you on the top of table in his first season and that too in the second half of the season,makes us look like chelsea. Tata conquered an el classico win after a long time and also a manc away win which is not easy.

DennyCrane

Watching this made me sad.

No need to become all nostalgic :D

What vids like these fail to tell is that Barca drew 6 games and lost 5 in the treble winning season. And unlike the current squad, that team actually was hungry, balanced and still had a trophy room to fill and a point to prove. And while we're at it, the treble winning team didn't tiki taka; they were a lot more direct than many people seem to remember.
Don't get me wrong, it was no fluke to win that treble; but a Real Madrid that sucked ass that season and a bit of luck in the CL surely helped.
It took Pep years of work, numerous changes in formation and tactics, experiments with transfers, slaughtering the odd holy cow / getting rid of deadwood and integrating fresh players into the squad to finally come to his ultimate Barca, that of the 10/11 season. His success justified everything he did in the end; but would the board have backed him if the team didn't win anything in between; in other words, would they have given him time to make overdue changes ? I think we know the answer. But the changes themselves would have been correct, no matter the decision.

At this point, as others have pointed out, many things are in disorder and Barca is in transition; hence the coach, whoever it is, will need time. A lot of it.
The board needs to decide whether they actually have balls and support the coach, give him a reasonable budget and a free hand to regroup the roster in the summer. Or they could cop out and haul the next coach in which, I can guarentee you, will lead to even worse results.

Last edited:
L

linetty

We're in the CdR final, we'll almost certainly going trough in the CL, and there's still a good chance of getting the leauge. Sacking the coach isn't the solution. What he could've done if the players couldn't get 4 passes done in a row? It was the first game I have seen the whole team underperforming, against an relegation-zone team!! There are changes that have to be done. It'll be an very important summer... a lot of players need to go

No need to become all nostalgic :D

What vids like these fail to tell is that Barca drew 6 games and lost 5 in the treble winning season. And unlike the current squad, that team actually was hungry, balanced and still had a trophy room to fill and a point to prove. And while we're at it, the treble winning team didn't tiki taka; they were a lot more direct than many people seem to remember.
Don't get me wrong, it was no fluke to win that treble; but a Real Madrid that sucked ass that season and a bit of luck in the CL surely helped.
It took Pep years of work, numerous changes in formation and tactics, experiments with transfers, slaughtering the odd holy cow / getting rid of deadwood and integrating fresh players into the squad to finally come to his ultimate Barca, that of the 10/11 season. His success justified everything he did in the end; but would the board have backed him if the team didn't win anything in between; in other words, would they have given him time to make overdue changes ? I think we know the answer. But the changes themselves would have been correct, no matter the decision.

At this point, as others have pointed out, many things are in disorder and Barca is in transition; hence the coach, whoever it is, will need time. A lot of it.
The board needs to decide whether they actually have balls and support the coach, give him a reasonable budget and a free hand to regroup the roster in the summer. Or they could cop out and haul the next coach in which, I can guarentee you, will lead to even worse results.

It's not just the board that needs to have balls. The coach also needs to have the balls to overhaul the squad.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I am willing to accept him for one more season. He has to finish what he started *THE CHANGE* at barca, he can not leave in middle. He has not bought any players yet, let us see what happens in the next season.

E

El_e8

There is definitely something going on behind the scenes. This isn't Chelsea where Mou was given complete freedom to do whatever he wants and to test that theory he sold Mata.

For me it seems that Barcelona managers are just muppets forced to play as many La Masia players possible cause after all it's our pride.
Or maybe there really are problems at the locker room between Xavi and Tata.
Give him freedom and power to sell or buy and if he fails sack him. After all he took over someones else team. He didn't know about European football thus not panic buying was smart. Now he had 1 year to adapt. Let him build a team he wants.
With new manager who needs time to adapt, get to know La Liga, Spanish media and the players we will be in exact same place next season. Pep was special and that kind of wonder season will never happen again. It's our second manager yet our starting 11 has not changed.
Why cant Barca board move forward? Look how much Chelsea or Bayern have changed since 2009 and how much Barcelona has.

Everyone is living in the deniel.

Home of Barca Fans