Gerardo "Tata" Martino

F

Flavia

Martino on tomorrow's Super Cup match against Atlético Madrid: “It's an extremely difficult test”

Roger Bogunyà
08/20/2013 18:59

The manager warns that Simeone's team is dangerous "because of how they've played in recent years, because of how they take their opponents on, because of how solid they are, and above all, because of how they win"

Tata Martino will lead his men for the first time in a final when Barça take on Atlético Madrid tomorrow night in the Spanish Super Cup. “The aspirations and obligations of managing Barça always mean you have to win, we will try to do a good job in order to win the title,” explained the manager.

“It’s difficult for Barça to not be favourites. But even if we accept that role, it doesn’t mean that the title is guaranteed. In a long competition like the league, which has 38 matches, there are more possibilities of winning than in a final that lasts 180 minutes, where everything is more equal. It only takes a good or bad night to win or lose the title,” explained Martino.

The manager also warned of the danger Atlético Madrid, the reigning Copa del Rey champions, bring to the pitch: “Atlético Madrid are an extremely tough test for us because of how they play, how they take on their opponents, how solid they are and especially because of how they win.” He added: “They are a very intense side, they’re comfortable without the ball. When they have it, they are vertical and they have good attacking players.”

When asked about kick off time (23.00), he explained: “I don’t think it’s a normal time to play a football match, but I don’t like to make any justifications for a bad performance. Barça must play well and win despite the scheduled kick off time.”

Martino was then asked about the possibility of Neymar Jr being named to the starting line-up. “We’ll have to wait until the game to see,” said the manager. He did reveal, however, that his goal is to give playing time to all his players throughout the entirety of the season.

As time goes on it’s becoming increasingly clear how Tata Martino intends to manage FC Barcelona. This Tuesday he revealed a few more details on why he decided to sub Messi during the match against Levante: “It’s about both sides understanding each other. Messi understands what this is about. It’s clear that we talked about it and it’s clear that I also have to be sufficiently careful to not sub him off five times in a row. It’s a relationship that requires balance.”

He continued: “This is how I intend to deal with Messi and the players. The decisions are made by me, but I rarely make drastic decisions without talking to the players first. I feel more comfortable if there’s dialogue between us. There’s nothing wrong if I have to reconsider my opinion if a player convinces me.”

The manager then went on to talk about his training regiment: “I have to get used to how things are done in Spain, not just in Barcelona. If I were to take my last year at Newell’s as a guide, I’d train 35 days in a row. We’re currently in the ‘get to know each other’ stage, but we also have to win.”

Vapor

I am just straight up loving everything about this guy. I have a really good feeling for this season with Tata.

:worthy: :hooray:

Hellsangel

I am just straight up loving everything about this guy. I have a really good feeling for this season with Tata.

:worthy: :hooray:

Me too. He looks like a real coach for a change, someone who at all times knows what he's doing. Pep was a philosopher who installed a system (tremendous credit for that) but as a pure coach he lacks certain skills. He's also very stubborn, even when things don't work out and at the end he was burnt out. Tito had no vision what so ever and it looks like he didn't ask enough of the players either.
Tata seems like the type of coach with a vision and enough authority to get the players' attention and respect. I like his behaviour while standing at the sidelines. You can see him thinking about the formation of our team and he offers lots of guidelines during games as to how and when to press. Refreshing change of pace compared to Tito who looked clueless at times on a tactical level.

At the moment Tata offers a perfect mix of skills to our group. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Early days but I love Tata already :) So glad he is our coach and I am glad we have a coach who is not afraid to take Messi off when needed as Leo needs rest sometimes.

mixer

Martino will not take part in UEFA's Elite Club Coaches Forum on 4-5 September as he'll travel to Argentina during international break. [md]

I'm fairly optimistic about how we'll do under this guy, although I am concerned about the fact that we didn't get a CB (and seemingly won't get one). The big teams will be the true test, but he's been great so far.

ShandyFFM

He seems like a really nice guy. Like a real "tata" anyway he seems to know what he needs to do and what fans want to hear. First time since a long time im very very pleased with our coach. He speeks directly and wants to change things good thing imo. Bring it on TATA!!

BarcaGirl

Martino: "Bartra not on the bench, no centre back there? If needed, my idea was to bring in Song and for Busquets to play as centre back."

:smiley_scared:

Galning

I don't agree with the subs. He subbed Fàbregas in when Messi as injured, which was the obvious choice. It was either Fàbregas or Neymar at that point. Then he subbed in Neymar in the 60th minute when 1-0 down, good sub but let's be honest we all would've done that. And the he subs Xavi off in the 89th-ish minute, should've been subbed off earlier imo.

Either way 1-1 at Calderon is good for second competitive game of the season. The team still has a lot of work to do though because we were very poor. Hopefully it's just because the players are still tired from Confederations and the pre-season travelling.

barcanuck

The R word was thrown around like it was a statement. Then we see the same lineup as against Levante with only 1 variation? Tata better just be F'n with us, not impressed by his lack of Rotations at all.

Home of Barca Fans