Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Stric

I'm not too convinced by his choice of line-ups. He seems to have the typical knack of choosing the big names for the big games instead of choosing players who are currently on form. In this case it was Pique+Mascherano and Xavi+Iniesta. He should have played either Bartra or Puyol, and Cesc should have started.

I do like, however, his recurring choice to sub in Song when we're leading.

Tomchin

I'm not too convinced by his choice of line-ups. He seems to have the typical knack of choosing the big names for the big games instead of choosing players who are currently on form. In this case it was Pique+Mascherano and Xavi+Iniesta. He should have played either Bartra or Puyol, and Cesc should have started.
Only saw parts of the game, but Iniesta looked awesome tonight?

F

Flavia

Martino: "We saw two Barcelonas, in the first half we controlled more. We'll try to continue to improve and finish first in the group."

Martino: "I don't like this feeling that the opponent can hurt us even without creating clear chances. We need to solve that."

Martino: "Messi played a phenomenal game. He was very active, good dribbling, looking for double passes..."

Martino: "Messi and Neymar are two exceptional players, and they also get along well off the pitch. The future looks good."

Martino: "What worries me most is that we sometimes allow the opponent to get back into the game. Happened against Valencia, Valladolid..."

Martino: "Two centre back duos, Pique-Masche and Bartra-Puyol? Didn't plan it, but yes, having fixed partner can maybe give more stability."

Darko

Martino: "I don't like this feeling that the opponent can hurt us even without creating clear chances. We need to solve that."

Martino: "What worries me most is that we sometimes allow the opponent to get back into the game. Happened against Valencia, Valladolid..."

I really like that Tata sees problems and talks about them,we are yet to see if he will correct these problems but the future is looking bright indeed! :worthy:

I do like, however, his recurring choice to sub in Song when we're leading.

Didn't mind Pique, Iniesta or Xavi too much, but he has too much faith in Masch imo. Also, he needs to have more faith in Bartra.

He sees this problem. Good.

Xtroverto

So after 18 games, still undefeated :xavi:

let's compare with the last 5 seasons, 12 liga games, 4 champions and 2 super cup games:

14-4-0 Tata Martino 2013-14
15-1-2 Tito Vilanova 2012-13
12-6-0 Pep Guardiola 2011-12
13-3-2 Pep Guardiola 2010-11
12-5-1 Pep Guardiola 2009-10
13-3-2 Pep Guardiola 2008-09 (Ch.L qualifiers instead of supercup)

Gooch

Even though there has already been an improvement on this from last year, it's still a difficult problem to solve for Barca for many reasons - a team with consistently high possession numbers and therefore little practice defending will always have difficulty acquiring the defensive mentality necessary to stop half chances from turning into goals. Add to that the lack of size and speed and the ability to take a space and get to loose balls. And finally the lack of finishing on the part of Barca. There's nothing like lethal finishing to take the sting out of opponents' attacks, because the feeling that one small opening and your opponent will kill you makes players less adventurous on the counter-attack.

The easiest and quickest solution for me is to get Barca finishing better, and with the talent Barca has, that's easy to do - just adjust training sessions to make finishing a priority. I'm certain finishing remains a very low priority in Barca training, so if they change that, the returns will be huge.

barcanuck

So after 18 games, still undefeated :xavi:

let's compare with the last 5 seasons, 12 liga games, 4 champions and 2 super cup games:

14-4-0 Tata Martino 2013-14
15-1-2 Tito Vilanova 2012-13
12-6-0 Pep Guardiola 2011-12
13-3-2 Pep Guardiola 2010-11
12-5-1 Pep Guardiola 2009-10
13-3-2 Pep Guardiola 2008-09 (Ch.L qualifiers instead of supercup)

Very nice so far by Tata!

I'd say the winter break is the time when we can throw out the comparison numbers, that way it would include Copa and pretty much the half way point of the season.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He should have subbed cesc for xavi/iniesta a little early like 60 minutes or something. Then the match against milan would have been perfect, and starting xavi before cesc is not a bad idea considering the international break and everything. The midfield trio had a very good game against milan, we should start cesc in every away matches as we need more directness in those matches and xavi and iniesta in home matches is enough to implement our standard game. We should use xavi to the most extent because soon he is going to decline.

Milan did not create any chances in first half but still scored one just like last game in milan for an individual error. Tata need to do something about it, it is hard to make sure your defenders don't do mistakes but it hurts to see those type of goals. We deserve to keep clean sheets in both milan games we defended very well, but they still got a goal out of our mistakes. It just hurts a lot. I think we improved in set pieces both defending and attacking vice.

Where is roberto?? he should feature in as a sub in real betis match(starting is not necessary). We should give him some chances to see if he is of first team level so that we can decide on signings in transfer season. Hoping he starts for spain U21 matches, he needs playing time seriously. 18 minutes in 18 matches is very bad for any player. Why can't cup matches come faster so we could use all our youth players.

I don't know why people are unsatisfied with barca performance until now you should not always compare your performances to the best years of the club. Tata did a great job of maintaining stability in defense and making us less predictable. IMO we are on right track, we have alternatives now and have what it takes to compete in europe. Hopefully our defence will hold the giants of europe like bayern, then we have no problem considering we have one of the best attack and mid in europe and in form goalie. When alba comes back we will have the best attacking left flank in the world.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
Xavi Hernández, the poster boy for the Barcelona brand of football in recent years, shared his thoughts on the debate surrounding the club's approach: "We have a clear philosophy based on playing football the right way and achieving our targets. Going down another route would be a mistake".
"Our philosophy is about having the ball and going on the attack. We've achieved a lot with that style and we shouldn't be thinking about changing it, we're convinced of that. We're not bothered about any debate – there is no debate inside the dressing room. We have clear, established ideas and the coach has repeated that on several occasions".
When asked which was more important - 'tiki-taka' or getting results - Xavi replied that "the two things go hand in hand". "We try to play good football and we believe the results will follow. That's the Barça way; that's how we look at football, knowing that playing the right way breeds results", he elaborated.
The midfielder also rubbished suggestions of a lack of fitness: "We feel good, there are no physical issues. We're even covering more ground than in other years. What we need to do is improve our collective play, but that aside we're on the right track and playing good football. Maybe not as brilliant as in other years, but we feel at ease and are very active going forward. Perhaps we lack a bit of spark in some games, but we're doing well and are in fantastic shape. The fitness levels are top-drawer".

totally agree with him and him being benched too. lol.

He should have subbed cesc for xavi/iniesta a little early like 60 minutes or something. Then the match against milan would have been perfect, and starting xavi before cesc is not a bad idea considering the international break and everything. The midfield trio had a very good game against milan, we should start cesc in every away matches as we need more directness in those matches and xavi and iniesta in home matches is enough to implement our standard game. We should use xavi to the most extent because soon he is going to decline.

Milan did not create any chances in first half but still scored one just like last game in milan for an individual error. Tata need to do something about it, it is hard to make sure your defenders don't do mistakes but it hurts to see those type of goals. We deserve to keep clean sheets in both milan games we defended very well, but they still got a goal out of our mistakes. It just hurts a lot. I think we improved in set pieces both defending and attacking vice.

Where is roberto?? he should feature in as a sub in real betis match(starting is not necessary). We should give him some chances to see if he is of first team level so that we can decide on signings in transfer season. Hoping he starts for spain U21 matches, he needs playing time seriously. 18 minutes in 18 matches is very bad for any player. Why can't cup matches come faster so we could use all our youth players.

I don't know why people are unsatisfied with barca performance until now you should not always compare your performances to the best years of the club. Tata did a great job of maintaining stability in defense and making us less predictable. IMO we are on right track, we have alternatives now and have what it takes to compete in europe. Hopefully our defence will hold the giants of europe like bayern, then we have no problem considering we have one of the best attack and mid in europe and in form goalie. When alba comes back we will have the best attacking left flank in the world.

Alaba and Ribery say hi. Although Alba and Neymar should definitely be ONE of the best left flanks in the world. And they're young too.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans