Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Cule4life

The Culest
Mourinho whose team lost to Basel both at home and away? Mourinho who has stubbornly stuck with playing Lampard at CM and Oscar at CAM? Mourinho who plays Ivanovic on the right when he's clearly better in the center? Mourinho who benched Chelsea's player of the season for seemingly no reason? That Mourinho?

EDIT: Jeez Mourinho's name looks weird now

He also benched the guy in your avatar when noboby would have dared to. Look how that turned out. He has benched Mata because he doesnt fit into his system. Same way we dont get a no 9 even of the quality of Lewandowski because he doesnt fit into our system. Time will tell if his system is successful or not. But he is making the right decisions to achieve his vision. And Oscar is doing well. And who will you play instead of Lampard? Ramires? Lampard is doing well actually. Chelsea lack good players in that department.
And Basel played very well actually. they would have beaten us too if we played like today.

JamDav1982

He also benched the guy in your avatar when noboby would have dared to. Look how that turned out. He has benched Mata because he doesnt fit into his system. Same way we dont get a no 9 even of the quality of Lewandowski because he doesnt fit into our system. Time will tell if his system is successful or not. But he is making the right decisions to achieve his vision. And Oscar is doing well. And who will you play instead of Lampard? Ramires? Lampard is doing well actually. Chelsea lack good players in that department.
And Basel played very well actually. they would have beaten us too if we played like today.

How did benching Casillas turn out?

It probably caused him to lose the dressing room and they ended the season without a trophy!

Cule4life

The Culest
How did benching Casillas turn out?

It probably caused him to lose the dressing room and they ended the season without a trophy!

Hows Diego Lopez performing? Has Casillas regained his spot under the new manager? What if one of our players was leaking information to the press? Would you tolerate that?

Again im not saying Mourinho is perfect. He is an a****le but one thing i admire about him is that he has got balls

JamDav1982

Hows Diego Lopez performing? Has Casillas regained his spot under the new manager? What if one of our players was leaking information to the press? Would you tolerate that?

Again im not saying Mourinho is perfect. He is an a****le but one thing i admire about him is that he has got balls

Diego Lopez id doing ok, but in what way was dropping Casillas a big success for Mourinho?

It wasnt.

ceefoo

We've gone from Overplaying (LAST season) to Underplaying (THIS season).

It was clear that we needed a Plan B or slight tweaking to our play. But it appears that TATA wants to tear up our way of playing and replace it with direct, long-ball, fast transition football.

Playing long-diagonals to 5ft 6" Alexis and 5ft 9" Neymar even when they have a defender close to them is pointless, High Risk, Low Reward football. Where's the intelligence in that?

What happened to the Craft and Guile, Pass & Move interchanges that bamboozled defences?

The "through-the-eye-of-a-needle" pass has been replaced with the "ball-over-the-top" from our own half. We have become ORDINARY.

Tiki-taka has it's supporters as well as it's critics, but when played at its best, it is UNDEFENDABLE. Why abandon it, when it has brought so much success?

I'm not saying we should never play a direct pass. But there is a time and a place. Not virtually everytime you win the ball back.

Most of us wanted an alternative to out play IF the current style was failing to work against an opponent. Instead, Tata has made a complete overhaul and we now more closely resemble a Sam Alardyce side than a Pep one.

We need to stick to our strengths. Otherwise we may as well sell Xavi and Iniesta, buy two cloggers and shove Peter Crouch upfront.

If Tata can't understand that, then he may as well see out the rest of the season and leave.

Jaykob

It was clear that we needed a Plan B or slight tweaking to our play. But it appears that TATA wants to tear up our way of playing and replace it with direct, long-ball, fast transition football.

Playing long-diagonals to 5ft 6" Alexis and 5ft 9" Neymar even when they have a defender close to them is pointless, High Risk, Low Reward football. Where's the intelligence in that?

What happened to the Craft and Guile, Pass & Move interchanges that bamboozled defences?

The "through-the-eye-of-a-needle" pass has been replaced with the "ball-over-the-top" from our own half. We have become ORDINARY.

Tiki-taka has it's supporters as well as it's critics, but when played at its best, it is UNDEFENDABLE. Why abandon it, when it has brought so much success?

I'm not saying we should never play a direct pass. But there is a time and a place. Not virtually everytime you win the ball back.

Most of us wanted an alternative to out play IF the current style was failing to work against an opponent. Instead, Tata has made a complete overhaul and we now more closely resemble a Sam Alardyce side than a Pep one.

We need to stick to our strengths. Otherwise we may as well sell Xavi and Iniesta, buy two cloggers and shove Peter Crouch upfront.

If Tata can't understand that, then he may as well see out the rest of the season and leave.

Good post, I agree completely, You can't play Dortmund style of football with the current players

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson

No one would have dared to? Odd that Mourinho's gone but Casillas is still on the bench, isn't it? As for Mata, he started the season poorly and was consequently not given the chance to get his form back for a really long time. He was one of Chelsea's better players today and got an assist, showing what he can do if given playing time. Lampard is doing decently enough, but doesn't have the energy nor the workrate to compete against good midfielders; I would play Ramires over him in a heartbeat if Ramires wasn't already playing beside him. Oscar is doing decently enough, but he always looks to go to goal, and as a result the strikers often end up isolated and without any service, especially when Oscar doesn't have his shooting boots on. And sure Basel would have beaten us if we played like we did today, but we played pretty poorly today so that doesn't actually indicate anything.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

:beer2:

I think many of us saw some hope when Tata mixed it up with some direct tactics instead of passing it around in all eternity - but I agree, we are loosing our identity and we look like Stoke. Creativity, fast passing, combinations, overlapping, through balls, cut ins from our wingers, pressing - all gone.

Last edited:

Galning

Glad I booooooo'ed him pre-game which shows that I'm not overreacting just because we lost. As some of you already said it's like Tito is our manager again. I really don't know what to make of his decisions nowadays. Can't believe he benched Bartra for Mascherano (again!) after the latter has played like shite this season. The youth has been given zero chance. Subs Pedro in in the 85th minute.. Roberto in what was it? 75th?
He looked clueless and offered nothing fresh. Poor form? Better field my most known players (I don't want to say "best" because some of these so called stars are performing worse than the people on the bench) and hope for the best.

BarçAjax8

And you sir have "hit the nail on the head". Playing a pin-point long ball was supposed to be an ADDITION not a replacement.
Everyone here is making their comparisons and I agree... today's match looked like a lowly Premier League match rather than a masterful Liga match.

Cule4life

The Culest
No one would have dared to? Odd that Mourinho's gone but Casillas is still on the bench, isn't it? As for Mata, he started the season poorly and was consequently not given the chance to get his form back for a really long time. He was one of Chelsea's better players today and got an assist, showing what he can do if given playing time. Lampard is doing decently enough, but doesn't have the energy nor the workrate to compete against good midfielders; I would play Ramires over him in a heartbeat if Ramires wasn't already playing beside him. Oscar is doing decently enough, but he always looks to go to goal, and as a result the strikers often end up isolated and without any service, especially when Oscar doesn't have his shooting boots on. And sure Basel would have beaten us if we played like we did today, but we played pretty poorly today so that doesn't actually indicate anything.

Yeah its not that hard to bench Casillas when hes already on the bench. When Ancelloti came Diego Lopez was already playing well and Casillas was on the bench. He didnt have to justify keeping Iker on the bench and nobody could have questioned him. Do you honestly belive Ancelloti could have pulled off what Mou did? This guy doesnt even play a deserving Morata over Benzemiss(when he was off form) and you think he could have benched Iker? :lol:
You still havent said who would you have play instead of Lampard. You talk smack of his workrate then what about Mata? Oscar has high potential and is see him getting much better. And chelsea's strikers arent good enough. Maybe thats why Oscar tries to shoot more?

Anyway we are getting off topic. If Mou had been our coach(bear with me for a second) he would have gotten rid of deadweight like Pique(Just like David Luiz) and Masch and benched many underperformers and gotten new blood in. Even Pep wanted to get rid of Pique, Cesc, Alves etc. but Rosell didnt allow him to and he left.

The Observer

Glad I booooooo'ed him pre-game which shows that I'm not overreacting just because we lost.

No, it shows that you were prejudiced before the game even begun. Not playing Bartra or not subbing in Sergi Roberto earlier weren't defining factors in this game. Our problems lie elsewhere and are more fundamental. But as usual fans concentrate on symptoms and trivialities. This team shouldn't rely on Bartra, Sergi Roberto or Pedro to rescue the day to begin with. If we are at that kind of level it means we have reached mediocrity for good.

PSG in Camp Nou 12/13
Bayern in Camp Nou 12/13
Athletic Bilbao in San Mames 12/13
Athletic Bilbao in San Mames 13/14
Ajax in Amsterdam Arena 13/14
Brazil Confeds Cup final 2013

What do these games have in common?

No Messi + Xavi-Iniesta midfield = No goalscoring chances created, no defensive cover in midfield, not pressing as well as the opponent.

Under 3 different coaches. Quite obvious where the problems really lie. Yet no one wants to talk about it seeing the respective threads.

Home of Barca Fans