Gerardo "Tata" Martino

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pique right now: De quién creéis que es el culo de la foto de @ctello91? Hay cuatro opciones: Aureli Altimira, Alex Song, @MarcBartra91 o Pepe Costa!

'Whose photo do you think it is, 4 options'

footyfan

Calma, calma
What I dont understand with managers in general is subbing players on for 2-3 minutes. What exactly is achieved? I can understand if it's for wasting time, or letting a particular player get an ovation from the crowd. But this is generally not the case.

The players subbing off is not going to lose his legs if he plays 2 minutes more, nor is the player subbing in getting any meaningful experience. I would imagine it must feel pretty pointless to warm up and put the kit on when you know you're not even going to get a touch of the ball.

F

Flavia

Pique right now: De quién creéis que es el culo de la foto de @ctello91? Hay cuatro opciones: Aureli Altimira, Alex Song, @MarcBartra91 o Pepe Costa!

'Whose photo do you think it is, 4 options'

Trying to save Tata's face(?) :tata:

None of those have that body :p

mazp

How would you grade Tata's first half of the season?

I would probably give a B- so far.

The positives: Classico win/First in Group stages/rotations/dealing with injuries and finding ways to win.

Negatives: Defense is still an issue/set pieces/not being able keep clean sheets as we first did in the start of the season. Ajax match/ Bilboa Match awful.

Kerrybai

What I dont understand with managers in general is subbing players on for 2-3 minutes. What exactly is achieved? I can understand if it's for wasting time, or letting a particular player get an ovation from the crowd. But this is generally not the case.

The players subbing off is not going to lose his legs if he plays 2 minutes more, nor is the player subbing in getting any meaningful experience. I would imagine it must feel pretty pointless to warm up and put the kit on when you know you're not even going to get a touch of the ball.

In some cases it is to do with a players contract.

NeyMesSis

busquets saw yellow! and he didn't want that he sees a second, eventually

The positives: Classico win/First in Group stages/rotations/dealing with injuries and finding ways to win.

Negatives: Defense is still an issue/set pieces/not being able keep clean sheets as we first did in the start of the season. Ajax match/ Bilboa Match awful.

I give it a B+.

Pros:
Clasico win
Messidependencia has been reduced, even though it still exists to an extent
Better defense than last season
Better rotation than last season
Better and more varied tactics than last season (i.e. we aren't as afraid to counter attack)
Better pressing than last season
Youngsters are getting more playing time than last season
Better big game performances than last season

Cons:
Ajax
Bilbao
Complacency and allowing opponents back into games (Valencia, Sevilla, Madrid, etc)
Tata needs to trust Bartra more
Too much Cesc at false 9 when it usually doesn't work well (at least TRY something like Alexis as #9)
Our defense still isn't the greatest, especially when it comes to set pieces.
Tata seems a little reluctant to bench underperformers (especially Masch)

IMO, we'll be able to make a much better assessment at the end of the season. The second half of the season is the most important half, as we found out the hard way last season.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
busquets saw yellow! and he didn't want that he sees a second, eventually

Busquets is suspended anyway for the next match so it wouldn't have made any difference. He purposely got the yellow so he could be safe for the Atletico game.

A or A-

Alarcón

Well check our transfer targets for further proof. I bet you the only reason Alexis gets the nod is "I have worked with Alexis before". I am not saying Sanchez isn't a good footballer, but Pedro is better and his play style suits our play style better. Besides he isn't as scared of shooting as Alexis.

Most of the forum disagrees with you.. Alexis has been much better than Pedro for a long time now and one game doesn't change that.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
A- or A

What he's implemented as a coach has really been effective:
-We press and cover more (our defense isn't exposed often, select games aside),
-We have so much more variety in our buildup with either quick kills or long calculated attacks,
-The rotation has been great and lots of players are getting chances.
-Our style is no longer chained and restricted. We are a more open looking team than we were last year.
-Every player in our attack bar Tello is performing extremely well.

As per results we've toughed it out against the best, winning the Supercup and the Clasico, and in the CL done very well too. Whatever negative results we've faced can be easily excused. We've been missing a majority of our best players for so long now, it's not uncommon to have those bad games where a passionate team can take advantage and steal a win.

Whatever complaints I have pale in comparison to what he's brought. Cesc at false 9 is tolerable but we shouldn't have to use him there in every game, although that's because of Messi's absence. His use of fixated CB pairings is keeping Bartra out, if he keeps a more open mind on that then we'd see Masch weened out of the starting 11 fairly soon. As FCBarca said too, the team hasn't looked fiery enough to come into the game looking sharp from the very beginning. We need to start strong and then maintain that, rather than being sluggish at first.

Home of Barca Fans