Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Stric

9/10

There's some decisions of his that I can't understand or agree with, but the results are there, so I can really only say that he's been a success so far.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
9/10 from me with the defense we saw from last season along with injuries he has had to cope with he has done an exceptional job. But using Cesc at False 9 and not using Bartra as much as we would like are few of the reasons he isn't 10/10

MrKnowitAlll

9/10 from me with the defense we saw from last season along with injuries he has had to cope with he has done an exceptional job. But using Cesc at False 9 and not using Bartra as much as we would like are few of the reasons he isn't 10/10

so he should pick his team according to what the fans want?

Alarcón

We can't judge him before the season's finished. Last year we thought Tito was as great as Pep and then we lost 7-0 against Bayern.

Cule4life

The Culest
Last year we thought Tito was as great as Pep and then we lost 7-0 against Bayern.

To be fair not everyone thought that. Also this is mostly a discussion of his handling of the team so far and apart from few ignorant posters nobody is calling for him to be sacked

The Observer

Also, to be fair, it should be mentioned that Tito didn't change too much tactically that a loss of such magnitude can be put solely on him. Veteran players with hundreds of caps played in their usual positions alongside their usual teammates in the usual system.

I thought about it and after some time passed by I came to the conclusion that a loss like that would have happened regardless of Pep's successor. Anything that comes up must come down at some point. I imagine Pep to be a very disciplined coach who doesn't tolerate when players are slacking off. Not for a minute. This is a guy who didn't even bother with Ronaldinho and Deco and put a private detective on Pique's ass. I imagine after he left lots of players felt liberated. Like a school class that used to have a very strict but good math teacher where no one dared to kid around during classes and that teacher got replaced by a more liberal and popular teacher. And suddenly kids start fooling around during classes.

You could already see Barcelona slacking off in the Supercopa against Real Madrid when Madrid were all over Barcelona like never before in that Bernabeu Clasico. That was one of the first games of the season. Do you believe Tito messed that up with his coaching skills at that point of the season already? Meh. Players simply stopped running because Madrid were surely not going to overcome a 2-3 loss. In the past 15 or so duels Madrid just about managed to grind out 2 narrow 1-0 and 2-1 victories. In the player's heads surely Madrid were not going to overcome the first leg defeat. And before they could realize what was happening, we were already 2 goals and 1 player down. During halftime the team recollected and went on to be the better team in the second half, even down to 10 men. The coach and tactics didn't change. Only the motivation did.

That kind of attitude kept creeping into the team the entire season, only amplified by the fact that Barca had already established a 20 point lead (lol) over Real Madrid around December in La Liga. How do you motivate such a team to not stop running? Add in injuries to key players and Tito's absence because of his health for most of the season (team didn't train tactics for a long stretch, confirmed by Fabregas) and you get something like last year's semi final. Unlucky refereeing as well. Not that I want to find an excuse. We would have lost anyway last season. But let's be honest. At least 2 of Bayern's 4 goals in Allianz should have never stood. Dante leaning on Alves and Müller shoving Alba. That Kassai guy is the same referee from the CL final in 2011 when he let Valencia hack down our players the entire night until he got booked after his 200th foul. Straight out of the Howard Webb school of refereeing - "just let everything go".

Home of Barca Fans