Gerardo "Tata" Martino

barca1899

Martino: "Line-up against Atletico? I didn't yet decide the line-up for the game against Getafe..."

Martino: "Return Messi? We'll see how he does this week. Physically he's fine. He should feel sure of himself now. I think it's close."

Martino: "Afraid of Mateu Lahoz, appointed for Atletico game, known for allowing fouls? (smiles) No, we like refs who let the game flow..."

:tata:

big_man

I think we found a gem of a Manager. Still bigger tests to come, but I'm starting to have that confidence against any team that I had when Pep was at the helm, he comes across as someone that really knows what is doing and can always spring the odd surprise. That is not a slight on Tito either, he just never had the chance to prove himself because of his illness, nevertheless I am proud of his remarkable achievement of winning us another title while battling something as serious as cancer. Hope he can still be involved with the club to some capacity when he feels good to go again.
But Tata man, Wonderful job so far.

F

Flavia

"Messi will make us even better," says Martino

www.fcbarcelona.cat
01/05/2014 18:46

The FC Barcelona manager is pleased with his team because they "didn't give Elche any options"

2014-01-05_BARCELONA-ELCHE_13.v1388944168.JPG

Gerardo Martino said that his team “didn’t give Elche a chance” and he added that “besides one play in the first half, we were very concentrated and we controlled the second half completely.”

The manager commented that Alexis Sánchez was named to the starting line-up because he was better prepared to play. “It was between Alexis and Neymar, Alexis was in better condition and we have to pick one of the two. We tried to figure out who was in better condition to play,” said Martino, who added that Pedro “is a player that can win any manager over. He always has answers for the team. He’s a player who can assist, he can score goals. He’s generous with his teammates. It’s hard for us to leave him on the bench.”
Intelligent footballers

Martino, when asked about Cesc’s performance, said, “we have a lot of intelligent players and Cesc is one of the best at interpreting the game. He knows when he should help his teammates and he gives great passes, he always finds just the right space.” The manager then said that the team will be even better when Leo Messi is declared fit: “The best player in the world will have an impact on the team. We’ll be even better.”

Martino then praised the work done by Diego Simeone: “Atlético Madrid can win it all. They are built to do great things, it doesn’t matter who plays.” Finally, Tata said that Barça “are playing well” and that “I’m here to do my job. A couple of weeks ago I said that no one has their place secured, it’s not in the hands of the managers to stay on at a team.”

serghei

I think the Atletico match will show us the level we're at. Calderon at this moment in time is a tough place to go looking for a win. If we do win, we are truly amazing again. If we don't, back to work and a lesson to learn. Tata has come to make us better in the big games. We trashed middle table teams last season too.

big_man

I think the Atletico match will show us the level we're at. Calderon at this moment in time is a tough place to go looking for a win. If we do win, we are truly amazing again. If we don't, back to work and a lesson to learn. Tata has come to make us better in the big games. We trashed middle table teams last season too.

I agree, but so far I've been impressed with the way we played in our 3 biggest games this season. I was really impressed with our win against Madrid and we did enough to win both legs against A.Madrid; Cesc missing a sitter at the Calderon, Messi missing penalty at Nou Camp.

What I'm most impressed about in those three games was our preparation, we were very very organized, created good chances and limited both Madrid teams to really few chances while we created more. The Madrid game was as comfortable a win as we've had against them since the 2-0 win away in the 09/10 season.

As you say though, next week will say a lot about where this team is at, but I don't think a draw away at the Calderon is a bad result, they are the third best team in Europe this season, it's not little old Pathetico anymore and we have to give them their due credit.

The Observer

We trashed middle table teams last season too.

That's not the whole story though. Messi was on 36 goals at this point last season. Meanwhile Alexis didn't even have 1 in La Liga.

Right now I'm not even bothered whether Messi starts in the Calderon or not, courtesy of Tata's squad management. He's involving and getting the best out of everyone. Only Iniesta looked weird at the start but that seemed to be a fitness issue as he's looking lively again in recent games. Last season I was fuming about the Iniesta-Messi-Pedro frontline. This season we have to leave one of Neymar, Alexis or Pedro on the bench and none of them deserve it. What a transformation.

serghei

That's not the whole story though. Messi was on 36 goals at this point last season. Meanwhile Alexis didn't even have 1 in La Liga.

Right now I'm not even bothered whether Messi starts in the Calderon or not, courtesy of Tata's squad management. He's involving and getting the best out of everyone. Only Iniesta looked weird at the start but that seemed to be a fitness issue as he's looking lively again in recent games. Last season I was fuming about the Iniesta-Messi-Pedro frontline. This season we have to leave one of Neymar, Alexis or Pedro on the bench and none of them deserve it. What a transformation.

True, but there is still that nasty feeling that we could concede a goal at any time. Madrid were unlucky not to score twice at Camp Nou and they played football just 45 minutes. Like vs Getafe. Put Chelsea 2-0 up with us and they won't lose 5-2. There are still some things that need to fall into place.

Seems to me like the team is steadily improving. Of course the biggest highlights are Pedro and Alexis' resurrections, and Neymar.
Valdes is in amazing form yet despite this there is a sense of fragility in defense, but we all knew that would take more than a semester to fix. Let us see if Piqué continues to slowly improve, and if Bartra can outrank Mascherano.

Overall I am very pleased with Tata.

DennyCrane

I think we found a gem of a Manager. Still bigger tests to come, but I'm starting to have that confidence against any team that I had when Pep was at the helm, he comes across as someone that really knows what is doing and can always spring the odd surprise. That is not a slight on Tito either, he just never had the chance to prove himself because of his illness, nevertheless I am proud of his remarkable achievement of winning us another title while battling something as serious as cancer. Hope he can still be involved with the club to some capacity when he feels good to go again.
But Tata man, Wonderful job so far.

Yes. He's basically Bielsa, minus the side parted mullet, the glasses cord and the obsessive insanity of the grandmaster. And although he has a clear idea of the football he wants to see played, he's also pragmatic. And to all appearances, he's a great motivator too with a very profound understanding of the tactical side and synergies of players.
And so was Pep.

And while I doubt that anyone can repeat what Pep did here, I'm fairly optimistic for the second half of the season.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yes. He's basically Bielsa, minus the side parted mullet, the glasses cord and the obsessive insanity of the grandmaster. And although he has a clear idea of the football he wants to see played, he's also pragmatic. And to all appearances, he's a great motivator too with a very profound understanding of the tactical side and synergies of players.
And so was Pep.

And while I doubt that anyone can repeat what Pep did here, I'm fairly optimistic for the second half of the season.

The motivator part is one where I am yet unconvinced, I hope you're right...You are of course, Denny Crane ;)

MrKnowitAlll

give Tata the control Pep had and a fit again Messi and

:tata: > :pep:

InTataWeTrust

even Pep couldnt get Alexis scoring but lets see how much "fans" we have when we are losing.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
give Tata the control Pep had and a fit again Messi and

:tata: > :pep:

InTataWeTrust

even Pep couldnt get Alexis scoring but lets see how much "fans" we have when we are losing.

The fact Alexis is here now for his 3rd year, accustomed to how we play and his teammates doesn't have a place in your argumentation? Tata > Pep? Sorry, he still has a lot to do before I believe that.

Home of Barca Fans