Gonzalo Higuain

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
What? His injury is what is putting him up for sale, there were murmurs about him leaving when it first happened but we kept him on board. If it is apparent that Higuain's injury have cost him too much to stay in Madrid then I'd reason with it then. Not now though, especially when he scored 22 goals in the league this year, coming of the bench many times. He wins leagues, he needs to stay for another year.
you don't want untouchables to stay only for one year lol

Anyway letting Higuain go would be stupid for Madrid... There won't be another striker any where in the world playing third fiddle but be good enough to be scoring shit load of goals. And being a Madridista through and through he could easily be convinsed to stay

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
What? His injury is what is putting him up for sale, there were murmurs about him leaving when it first happened but we kept him on board. If it is apparent that Higuain's injury have cost him too much to stay in Madrid then I'd reason with it then. Not now though, especially when he scored 22 goals in the league this year, coming of the bench many times. He wins leagues, he needs to stay for another year.

He wins leagues, he also sits on the bench to watch the Benz and Ronaldo show.

It figures a Madrid fan would think it's such a privilege to play for the royal club that Higuain should enjoy getting sloppy seconds. It wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho beats for daring to steal the limelight from his boy Benz.

#FreeHiggy

DucdeOrléans

25% French ancestry? No way, there's a ton (my host mother my first time in Buenos Aires was French ancestry :p), but it's slightly under 20%. Less than Italian and Spanish, probably more than any other particular European nation. And of these French-Argentines, a TON are Basque, so they are awesome.

Not sure what the exact requirements are with Athletic, it's constantly shifting. I'd imagine he's not eligible, or the club would have a ton of Argentine and Chilean players already.

Well, what I know is that there are a lot of them, just as in Canada and USA;).

Well Basques and French are essentially almost the same (in terms of genes at least and culture (Celtic) although most French people are a mix of Romans, Celts, Franks, other Mediterranean peoples, Normans, Arabs, Greeks, Visgoths etc. Those who live in the Western part of France have very similar customes and even cuisine which is quite interesting while they seem to differ more from the nearby Spaniards.

And I think the numbers are higher if we only look at partial descent (since most people are mixed anyway).:)

But what about Amorebieta who was born in Venezuela? I don't know about his ancestry but since Spaniards have the custom of using both their paternal family name and maternal (Amorebieta y Maragas). The maternal name does not sound very Basque (probably is Spanish as many others on the current Athletic side) so I think we can say that they do not limit themselves to solely players with Basque ancestry from both sides of the family unless they are just going by place of birth together with the overall Basque ancestry.

Maybe Higuaín could play for them if it was proven he had Basque ancestry on his mother's side as well which would not surprise me. I mean when Bojan and Messi apparently are related then everything can happen.:lol:

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Amorbieta spent most of his life in the Basque Country, it's actually easier to qualify if you are raised in the Basque Country than through bloodlines. I mean "Javier Martínez" is as Spanish a name you can get. Also apparently Javi Martinez's maternal name "Aguinaga" is a variation of "Aguero", so you should be a fan!

DucdeOrléans

Amorbieta spent most of his life in the Basque Country, it's actually easier to qualify if you are raised in the Basque Country than through bloodlines. I mean "Javier Martínez" is as Spanish a name you can get. Also apparently Javi Martinez's maternal name "Aguinaga" is a variation of "Aguero", so you should be a fan!

Well I think you are right. Although I would like to know about their exact requirements and how much they actually care about bloodlines and not just place of birth. I mean, I know people who were born in countries they never lived in or had any blood relation to so in my eyes (at least) it's not a very good indicator to use.

If I was Athletic and insisted on keeping their "only-Basque" policy I would go by paternal descent (from father to father) no matter if they were born in French Polynesia or Siberia or had non-Basques genes as well.

As you say, it would give them a huge market in South America and France which would help them on the long run and not destroy their clubs philosophy (in my opinion at least)

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
To join an english club (which he 90% probably will) surely not?!?!?! you'd hate that even more!

He's more suited to Serie A, but anything to get him off Madrid. Seriously, I'd celebrate a move to Juventus FFS.

Man City wouldn't be good at all for his career, but it beats washing Benzema's balls to avoid Mourinho's lashes.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I doubt any serie a club could afford higgers without involving a player exchange deal.

PSG is a possibility but will he want to play in the french league? who knows.

Maria

Pato plus money for Higuain ;)

I imagine this would be Sergio if the exchange takes place:

52514906-claping-.gif

ricknattery

He wins leagues, he also sits on the bench to watch the Benz and Ronaldo show.

It figures a Madrid fan would think it's such a privilege to play for the royal club that Higuain should enjoy getting sloppy seconds. It wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho beats for daring to steal the limelight from his boy Benz.

#FreeHiggy

yeah, madridistas are so selfish
let the guy depart if you are not giving him enough playing time. A striker with his qualities deserves that

Home of Barca Fans