Hans-Dieter Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

Marshall D Teach

I'm pretty sure we'll get better football in terms of entertainment. My only question is whether he'll play that high line against better opposition or will he be more pragmatic?
Gimme the high line.

We're shit anyway, might as well make it fun.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

If he tries to turn us in to Bayern he is in for a monumental failure. Barca is a Latin club full of Latin players. We can't win playing the Bayern way, the same way Bayern can't win playing the Barca way.

It's the beauty of football that you can have 2 great clubs, having been successful in 2 completely different ways like Barca and Bayern were when they won their sextuplets.

Yes, we all want a move away from the Barca DNA philosophy but what needs to be done is a fusion of the best ideas from both Germany and Spain, rather than a complete overhaul.

BJJ

If he tries to turn us in to Bayern he is in for a monumental failure. Barca is a Latin club full of Latin players. We can't win playing the Bayern way, the same way Bayern can't win playing the Barca way.

It's the beauty of football that you can have 2 great clubs, having been successful in 2 completely different ways like Barca and Bayern were when they won their sextuplets.

Yes, we all want a move away from the Barca DNA philosophy but what needs to be done is a fusion of the best ideas from both Germany and Spain, rather than a complete overhaul.
I'm sure Flick is practical enough to adapt to the squad. However, I feel he will definitely favour the more physical, driven to win players. I'd be surprised if Pedri is first choice. I'm reading reports that he wants Pedri in a similar role to Muller. Muller may be slow but he's smart, physically strong and gas a nasty streak unlike soy boy Pedri.

Devils

Kind of feel for him.

If he goes trophyless, he will get destroyed by the media and wont get anywhere near the cover that Xavi did.

In all likelihood, he will go trophyless next season lol.

BJJ

Kind of feel for him.

If he goes trophyless, he will get destroyed by the media and wont get anywhere near the cover that Xavi did.

In all likelihood, he will go trophyless next season lol.
Any manager who comes here knows the score. The odds are stacked against them. Poor finances, rival Real getting stronger, politics etc
You can't come here and start crying. If Flick can change the culture of the club and make it more open minded to other styles of football, that in itself will be a HUGE SUCCESS. You have to give credit to Mourinho. Alot of people don't recognise the fact that Mourinho set the foundations for Reals success. Madrid always wanted to play a flamboyant,attacking style but he opened them upto winning via boring, defensive football, mainly against the bigger teams.

This whole Barca DNA thing has become stale. Even with our greatest teams we struggled in the CL at times.

If nothing else Flicks new ideas should give the club food for thought as they look to read a newer, hopefully more successful path.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Same objectives as Xavi. If he does as well, I'll support him. Not going to see me moan if he gets a league title in his first full season that's for sure.
What will be a failure for you?
For you, Xavi was doing OK, and you didn't want him to leave. Just curious what would be a failure to you then.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Failure would be to do worse in CL and not compete for the league title.
I agree with the league thing.
But what if we get the Title contenders in our Round of 16 and we lose to them, will that still be a failure?

For me success will be competing for the league, so 4-6 points difference max if we lose. While playing attractive football. And we reach the finals of CdR.
As it looks like we will be keeping almost the same squad as last season, so that will be a massive improvement.
The same goes for CL. I won't mind if we go out against the heavyweights early in the knockout stages, but we need to play well against them.

Temptation

What do you mean exactly when you say "Latin club"? Wouldn't Madrid qualify as a "Latin club" by the same token? Their style is super successful and it's nothing close to Barca's ideal style. There's no one way for a Football club to play and win in. You have to adapt to the tools and surroundings you have.

I can easily argue that Barca's typical peak style of play originates/develops from the Netherlands rather than the Latin countries. Cruyff was the pioneer of Barca's ideal style and the Dutch Football folks used to be obsessed with the principles of "Total Football". The most salient exponent of the Barca way in modern Football is none other than Pep, who himself is a disciple, believer and follower of Cruyff's philosophy.

Now this is my opinion: The game constantly evolves and you can visibly notice the differences in 5 year spells, roughly speaking. 10 years back, Bayern were trying to ape the Barca way with Pep coaching them in his typical style. The result? Good but not very successful. Cut to 5 years later, Kovac leaves Bayern and in comes an unknown quantity in the shape of Hansi Flick. He completely changed things and made Bayern play in a very efficient, physical "German way" except way more attacking, unapologetic and ballsy than any form of conventional Football we had seen till date(barring Bielsa). This proves that even within a single club, there's no fixed, set-in-stone template to success. It's not as simple as "We're Barca and Pep's tikitaka system is the only way we can ever succeed", this is an incorrect way to look at the game.

Look at Pep: he used to be dogmatic about his philosophy but with time, he realised how limited he was and decided to adapt with changing times. The guy occasionally plays with 4 CBs in a back 4 these days! Pep's tactical and philosophical evolution points towards the fact that the mythical "tikitaka system/Barca DNA" might just be outdated in modern Football. Pedri symbolises this statement very well. 10 years back he'd be much more effective when his way was in fashion. Now the sport is far more physical and energetic and that doesn't suit him.

If Flick is dogmatic, he'll fail. If Flick is pragmatic, smart and adaptable, he'll succeed. Every manager has their principles of play and personal philosophy set in stone. But the best ones know how to tweak their 'Football phenotype' and working style of play irl by making those minute tactical changes. The game is won and lost in those minute details, mostly invisible to the naked eye of regular fans. And that's the way it should be.

Reactions: BJJ

JohnN

This will be a big test for the club.
A manager with really different philosophy and not associated with the club. could be a monumental failure or the step forward we have been needing for years now.

Loki

Always depends on the how. You can also go trophyless losing league with 99 points and both finals due penalties/bad refs.

BJJ

Always depends on the how. You can also go trophyless losing league with 99 points and both finals due penalties/bad re
Injuries and squad depth matter too. Real had Injuries but still won league and CL while we struggled mightily.

Andresito

Staff member
I fear he's gonna get heavily exposed and look clueless on the sidelines. I'll be surprised if he lasts more than 1 year.

Temptation

From the Temptation post in the Mbappe thread:

Barca have a great team. They were just dumb to not utilise their biggest weapons and strengths properly. Without Araujo's red card, Barca walk into the final. It's not all doom and gloom.

Stop playing Gundogan so deep. Play him as the most advanced mid. He's ageing and is much better around those advanced 8 pockets. Gundogan has a tendency to play the killer passes and chip in with goals. Pedri clearly can't do the business as the most advanced mid. Use him as a super sub.

Here's what Barca needs: One defensively strong, physical DM with a high work rate, decent athleticism and good IQ. One fast dribbler for the left wing. A winger with poor end product will be fine as long as they can create space and cause trouble/panic like Dembele did. Preferably one proper RB.

MATS
Kounde Araujo Cubarsi Balde
Gavi DM Gundogan
Yamal RL9 FastLW

Pedri Raphinha Fermin Roque etc can be subs.
This is a fast and physical team overall.
Keep Gundogan closer to the goal and stop playing him deep as a pivot.
Flick will use Balde in the Davies role to use his pace and facilitate the high line, make recovery runs and bomb forward to create an extra man. The kid needs to improve his crossing big time.
Gavi will be a key player under Flick and will be used as the chief pressing trigger and the all-action enforcer. A Prime Kante style role.
Flick won't make the same mistake as Xavi and will use RL9, his biggest weapon effectively.

There's a reason why Flick was salivating about the Barca job. This squad suits him and he needs only a couple of half decent signings to make this team into a juggernaut.

Coman is actually the perfect profile or style of player needed. I know about his injury issues. I'm just talking about his player profile here. Barca need a Coman/Doku/Dembele type. The explosive dribbler that's unbeatable 1 on 1 and can cause chaos and disrupt defenses creating space.

The DM needs to be strong, tall, a little fast and very defensive minded. Safe and neat on the ball. Nothing too extraordinary.

Home of Barca Fans