Hansi Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

Messigician

❗Hansi Flick has incorporated cryotherapy into the team’s daily workout routine. This injury prevention treatment involves using extreme cold to freeze and remove dead cells, while strengthening and toning tissue. @fansjavimiguel

Barça discovers cryotherapy 2024 colorized😐😐
Pseudoscience

MontenegrinCuler

Pseudoscience
"Cryotherapy is used in an effort to relieve muscle pain, sprains and swelling after soft tissue damage or surgery. When a musculoskeletal injury occurs, the body sends signals to our inflammatory cells, macrophages, which release IGF-1. IGF-1 is a hormone-insulin-like growth factor which initiates the termination of damaged tissue. In some cases, this inflammatory response can be aggravated and cause increased swelling and edema, which can actually prolong the recovery process. For decades, it has been commonly used to accelerate recovery in athletes after exercise. Cryotherapy decreases the temperature of tissue surfaces to minimize hypoxic cell death, edema accumulation, and muscle spasms. Minimising each or all of these ultimately alleviates discomfort and inflammation. It can involve a range of treatments, from the application of ice packs or immersion in ice baths(generally known as cold therapy), to the use of cold chambers."

This is straight outta Wikipedia page. I've seen some people question it's effectiveness but it's not pseudoscience, various clubs and athletes use it on regular basis. CR7 himself apparently has a chamber for this thing in his mansions too. Leicester used it during 2016 EPL winning season. A lot of examples. I don't believe it can help much but players like Pedri should give it a try.

Messigician

MontenegrinCuler

Are you dumb stupid or dumb? HUH?

But while that may sound great, there's really no scientific proof that whole-body cryotherapy is safe, or any evidence to support claims about its health benefits

From a study by Harvard university

This is 6 years ago lol, pretty possible things have changed a little on that matter. I wouldn't know, I'm not a doctor but I guess somebody would acknowledge if this was a proven pseudoscience on wikipedia page. Either way, this Harvard guy only came up with a "Nah, it's pseudoscience" with no further elaboration or contradiction to the arguments in favour, which he also mentioned in the answer by the way.

Additionally, no reason for personal attacks. Your personal distress shouldn't affect people on this forum or elsewhere on the internet. Say what you have with argument and respect.

Loki

There are some good german articles about Cryo chambers from sports doctors.
They say this is very difficult to prove scientifically whether positive effects can really be attributed to the cold. It doesn't mean that the cold doesn't help though. There is evidence for example, that cold helps with some inflammation in the body.
There are also smaller studies that say that cold therapy strengthens the immune system and also has a positive effect on the psyche because the cold releases endorphins and dopamine.
And the most important point is, I quote: "If you feel good after going into the cold chamber, a lot of positive things have already been achieved."

So yeah, bottom line is there is no scientific evidence, but it doesn't mean it's useless.

MontenegrinCuler

So yeah, bottom line is there is no scientific evidence, but it doesn't mean it's useless.
Well yeah I guess that if scientific evidence was complete it'd be used much more and we'd approach it earlier too.

Good that Flick came up with this though, they should try. I hope overall improvement in players fitness and this thing helps injury prone players a little bit at least.

Maradona37

Well yeah I guess that if scientific evidence was complete it'd be used much more and we'd approach it earlier too.

Good that Flick came up with this though, they should try. I hope overall improvement in players fitness and this thing helps injury prone players a little bit at least.
Yeah, even if the benefits are contested it surely can't hurt to try.

What I can say is that my muscles feel better when they're sore and I put ice on them. And I often feel cooler and much more at ease mentally, so I believe there's something in this cryoptherapy thing (even if the mental effects are maybe a placebo).

Like you say it's contested but can't hurt to try surely.

Porque

There are some really good early signs that Flick is getting the team to a good physical level while the players are understanding the way he wants to play. Considering the lack of first team talent, the team are creating chances very well.

City was a tougher game

serghei

Signs are positive, but official games are gonna be different. Not an easy start for us, some tough match-ups early on and the need to start strong out of the gate is quite stressing.

Home of Barca Fans