İlkay Gündoğan

I

instinct

The best decision he could make IMO. They'll give him enough time to recover and he will return strongly. Good news.

Alarcón

Unfortunate for us though because he was perfect to replace Xavi. Means we'll have to look at other options and knowing Zubi we'll probably end up with Roberto as new signing.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Unfortunate for us though because he was perfect to replace Xavi. Means we'll have to look at other options and knowing Zubi we'll probably end up with Roberto as new signing.

You never know though, I agree with Instinct that at this point this is the best option for him and everyone else (including us) to stay with BVB and recover. If he recovers and plays to his potential again, then we can scoop him up and Reus in the future and pay the hefty fees that they deserve, which will help BVB to buy players. If not, too bad for him and BVB, but we are not losing out.

Plus, it looks at this point that we are unlikely to get the ban lifted, so we might not buy anyone in the short term anyway. I hope Reus and Gundogan, if they truly want to join us, to have a bit more patience and help BVB win more trophies in the mean time.

At the end of the day, if we don't win, I have no problem with BVB winning. ;)

Last edited:

Devils

I felt it was too risky to sign him anyway, chronic conditions should be taken very seriously. But good for him, hopefully he can make a comeback soon.

suckabov

Lemon curry?

That contract sounds like he'll leave next year. We can always go for him then. If Rafinha comes back, we don't necessarily need a midfield signing. GK and CBs are the priority anyway.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That contract sounds like he'll leave next year. We can always go for him then. If Rafinha comes back, we don't necessarily need a midfield signing. GK and CBs are the priority anyway.

That's what I thought as well. It seem like they added an extra year so he can recover and come back to his best again. This also prevents BvB from losing out money on him.

I

instinct

I don't think that Rafinha's return is enough to strenghten our midfield. He plays a really good season but no one guarantees that he would be such a success here. And IMO we need a player who unites physical strength and technique, someone like Vidal. Rafinha is a wonderful prospect for the future but I don't know if he is ready to be our Xavi replacement next year.

Tomchin

I hope Reus and Gundogan, if they truly want to join us, to have a bit more patience and help BVB win more trophies in the mean time.
Why are we always linked to Reus btw, doesn't he play LW? We have Neymar there for years to come, with Deulofeu and possibly also Adama as his backups?

I

instinct

Why are we always linked to Reus btw, doesn't he play LW? We have Neymar there for years to come, with Deulofeu and possibly also Adama as his backups?

He is a very flexible player who can play on both wings and in the centre. This is a huge quality which would help us a lot though I believe that we are only linked with him because he is a Barca fan and shows great performances lately.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
That's what I thought as well. It seem like they added an extra year so he can recover and come back to his best again. This also prevents BvB from losing out money on him.

Yeah, it's a win-win situation for both Gündogan and BVB, especially because I think they have the option to renew his contract for 2 more years. It's good for us too as we can monitor his development without having to fear Real/United will put their oar in.

I don't think that Rafinha's return is enough to strenghten our midfield. He plays a really good season but no one guarantees that he would be such a success here. And IMO we need a player who unites physical strength and technique, someone like Vidal. Rafinha is a wonderful prospect for the future but I don't know if he is ready to be our Xavi replacement next year.

I would prefer a good midfield signing too, but in light of the ban I'll be glad if we get the back 5 sorted out; that is what I meant. Of couse I wouldn't hesitate to sign a fit Gündogan though. But this sumemr it would have been too risky. If he returns to full health, finds his form and is on the market next year, which he probably will be, I'd definitely make him a top target.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans