Ivan Rakitić

BerkeleyBernie

That is what a lot ppl here were saying here - he has skills, he has quality, but for some reason he wasn't showing it and it was either because Lucho instructed him to play safe or because of confidence and now he is taking more risk and we can see what he is capable of.

It's a different system than earlier in the season- Messi on the right, and Rakitic pushing forward to overload attack on that side. I don't think he will perform as well against an opponent who presses instead of sits back. Rakitic is best facing goal, and is a bit slow to see options when being closed quickly with back to goal. This recent system is a great fit for his current skill set.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
3 solid games vs. Atleti for Ivan.
And tonight he's been our best midfielder.
Had Lucho not abandoned his own ideas at Bernabéu and played Rakitic instead of Xavi/Iniesta, I feel we could have won that game too.

Kerrybai

He's doing well but he struggles under when he is pressure, particularly when he has his back to goal. He needs to work on this area of his game.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He's doing well but he struggles under when he is pressure, particularly when he has his back to goal. He needs to work on this area of his game.

He still struggles under pressure, yes. But he's doing better than his first couple of matches. I have to admit, I was hating on him 2-3 months ago, - but I had a good reason. Our team was in a deep dip and Raki was one of the players who was yet to present himself to our game. But he started of quite poorly (but tbh the rest of the team + tactics was also poor) and was the odd one out, he was also supposed to be a replacement for Cesc and to some extent Xavi, so I had high expectations. But now he's starting to come around :) Keep it up Raki! :party1:

Butaan4barca

It's a different system than earlier in the season- Messi on the right, and Rakitic pushing forward to overload attack on that side. I don't think he will perform as well against an opponent who presses instead of sits back. Rakitic is best facing goal, and is a bit slow to see options when being closed quickly with back to goal. This recent system is a great fit for his current skill set.

Are you sure you are talking about athletico ? if athletico isn't a pressing side, which team is ?

BerkeleyBernie

Are you sure you are talking about athletico ? if athletico isn't a pressing side, which team is ?

Atletico does not press, as a rule, except to shift their bus to meet attacking threats in their area. The last game was an exception, because they needed two goals to advance. Rakitic was excellent against Atletico in the first two encounters, where they defended deep in their area.

Butaan4barca

Atletico does not press, as a rule, except to shift their bus to meet attacking threats in their area. The last game was an exception, because they needed two goals to advance. Rakitic was excellent against Atletico in the first two encounters, where they defended deep in their area.

i think you are generalizing their performances based on how they played barca, generally they are one of the stronger pressing sides in la liga as well as in CL.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Rakitic: "My role at Barça is different than at Sevilla. Here I have to cover for others, at Sevilla others covered my back."

Kinda feel sorry for him as never in his career he had to play so cautiously.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Rakitic: "My role at Barça is different than at Sevilla. Here I have to cover for others, at Sevilla others covered my back."

Babysitting alves is no easy job, but he is doing fine. Maybe next season we can see more of the sevilla rakitic when dani leaves.

dakt

Great. That means he has chance to develop some other parts of his game.

hardyboy

Rakitic: “At Barça, you throw a little fart and it's news. People ask, 'why did you do that'? Everything is magnified.”
Rakitic: “It's like Xavi said, whoever can't associate with Messi, should take up golf.”
Rakitic: “At Sevilla, my teammates covered my back. At Barça, I have to cover my teammates back. It's normal at the best club in the world.”
Rakitic: “Neymar gets fouled a lot and not exactly shirt pulling but getting kicked in the ankles and everywhere else.”

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Great. That means he has chance to develop some other parts of his game.

Why so mean?

Rakitic-Liverpool.jpg

Why?

Home of Barca Fans