Ivan Rakitić

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
@Luftstalag14 It's only 2.5 games less in a team with a lot less attacking options for him to pass to.....

We will see how well he fares when he gets here.

Don't get me wrong, I wish him success here, after all he is going to be one of us.

Just saying, he might not be as that great as some people think and Cesc is not as bad as some people think.

We will find out in 6 months.

F

Flavia

Why not? He played more minutes therefore had more passes to a teammate who took a shot on goal, as opposed to Cesc, who played less minutes, and less chances, less passes in general?

Just a thought.
Because is per game played by each player. It't not based on total games of each team. They appearances/minutes is also similar.

We will see how well he fares when he gets here.

Don't get me wrong, I wish him success here, after all he is going to be one of us.

Just saying, he might not be as that great as some people think and Cesc is not as bad as some people think.

We will find out in 6 months.
Cesc is a great player, just not for Barça. You should read this.

Vilarrubi

@Flavia Great read.. Although sad for us. It goes into more detail about what everyone has been thinking the past few years.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Why do you think that?

Cesc doesn't have a clear role in the team, so he is not a player difficult to be replaced. Cesc doesn't fit at all, that's why I think there's a good chance Rakitic will do well. But we'll have to wait and see.

I felt at the end of the season that Cesc is fed up of how he is treated in Barcelona, from his body language. Mourinho confirmed it too, per this and Pique also talked about lack of respect for Cesc:

Mourinho said: “We have some interest. I have interest in analysing the situation. I think it looks like he’s really really interested in leaving Barcelona, and is very, very interested in coming back to England. This I think is clear. He hasn't been treated right over there, and a player of his calibre deserves more."
“After that it’s not something for us, or another team, for now. It’s not for now, or tomorrow, or for before the World Cup. There is a process where he wants to leave desperately, he wants to come to England because it’s the country where he wants to be, where he prefers to play. We are interested in monitoring the situation.”

It would explain why they chose Rakitic (who is just going to be a Cesc replacement), and not tried for an actual Xavi replacement.

It's all conjecture at this point tbh, we'll have to see how Lucho sees the team developing.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
Im super excited to see this guy play for us. He has always been a player I really liked but never paid that much attention to. Ive seen him play a decent amount and I never really notice he is there until he does something awesome and catches my attention. He does this without fail every time I see him. Always impresses me and im always like "Who was that?! Oh...just Rakitic again. I quite like him." In games against us and RM he has always been awesome. He is never missing on the pitch and while im not totally sure how he is going to gel with us I have nothing but good expectations. I think we have made a quality signing :D. Now to transfer him to my Barca in FIFA 14 lol

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Cesc is a great player, just not for Barça. You should read this.

Absolutely agree and I've felt this way since before he was inevitably bought back, nice share on the read...Although I'd add that the article glosses over the turmoil of the 2003 election and how Cesc was poached at a vulnerable time for the club...Had it not been an election year, would've been harder for Wenger to pry him away even if he took the money and ran in the end...It was the dark cloud that hung over the club for several years and what forced the club to address Leo's situation ahead of time for fear of similar happening to him...I can recall in interviews even just after the election that Laporta never quite got over Cesc getting away like that

Affiae

And let's not forget how long Cesc has been here now. How much longer do you guys want to wait for him to step up his game?

It's good to let him go. Both for his development and for us overall.

Home of Barca Fans