Ivan Rakitić

Zidane82

Fabinho.

He's a monster defensively for Liverpool, his long, skinny legs are like tentacles, making him a tackling, intercepting machine. And that lanky fucker is excellent on the ball as well. He can twist and turn, dribble, play out from the back, spread diagonals about for fun, cross, the lot.

Now that's a workhorse worth having.

For us, Rodri would have been absolutely perfect but it's obvious the board weren't ready to lessen Busquets' minutes by bringing in a player like him just yet. Which is a shame since with Arthur, De Jong and Rodri, along with an emerging Puig, we'd be set for an entire decade.

Fabinho and Firmino then we’d be world beaters again and we wouldn’t need Neymar

Zidane82

I hope Rakitic sits down tonight and watches the whole game on telly .., then sees the difference in the teamplay when FDJ pulls the strings in midfield to how we played in the first half with Raki at the helm .

I hope Rakitic sits down tonight and watches the whole game on telly .., then sees the difference in the teamplay when FDJ pulls the strings in midfield to how we played in the first half with Raki at the helm .

Doubt he can see the difference. even if he can, doubt he will be shameful enough to admit it.

This is the guy that insists on staying after Barca publicly rejected his plea for contract extension/raise and publicly voiced their willingness to sell him.

Kul_z

When you will get that I don't want physique over technique but physique on top of technique?

So, if we have Puig (short, technical) vs Paulinho (physical but not technical)=then go with technique and Puig.

But then, if you want to level up, instead of Puig (technique) why not take De Bruyne (technique and physique) or Eriksen (technique and physique).

For example, Busi-Arthur-Puig.
That trio is all about technique, not too much physique either in pace, stamina or height.

On the other hand: Frenkie-Eriksen-De Bruyne.
Doesn't that midfield have an equal amount or more technique plus way more physique?

Or if you can't bring 3 guys with technique and physique, then bring only 1 or 2.
Everything is better than 0.
Today we at least have Frenkie.

I did though, over time asked for Rakitics who have less technique, but more physique, workrate and defending (when he was younger) to bring some balance.
But obviously, 3 Rakitics is not the answer.
But neither is 3 Puigs.

Look at Atletico:Real today.
Real had a perfect midfield on paper: technical Modric, Kroos and Isco.
But without at least one bonebraker Casemiro, look what happens against bigger teams.

On the other hand, that technical trio can survive in La liga.
But not in a CL.

1. So, we need to divide La liga and a CL
2. And I don't want 3 Paulinhos over 3 Arthurs, but something like Eriksen or De Bruyne over Puig-Arthur
3. Plus, imo, always, out of 3 midfielders, one needs to add at least some physique and defending, even if he has a slightly weaker technique.

And even if I had over time called for 3 Vidals or Rakitics in midfield, I gave up from it.
But one guy of that mould is needed, especially in Europe.

That's about midfield.
About attack, I am not happy if Griezmann will be a No9.
No pace, no headers, all about feet and 1-2s.
Which is nice, but imo not good for Europe when the opponents park the bus.

So, you see, my main wishes compared to Crujff and Pep are:
1. Eriksens instead of Puigs
2. Attack which can score in 3 ways: possession, counters, headers
3. Mental skills: IQ, more fighting spirit, 2-3 true leaders.
4. Some height in defense for defending corners in Europe

Again, I am not actually asking for 11 Fellainis.
But for Crujff's Barca UPGRADED with slightly more height, more pace, more stamina, a fighting spirit and true lions-leaders.

Frenkie de bruyne erikssen is my dream middlefield trio, that have everything barca needs. If this stupid board went for de bruyne and erikssen after neymar departure, instead of coutinho and dembele we could look like this right now:
De jong
De bruyne erikssen
Messi suarez griez

I still cant believe that we have never been linked with de bruyne, i know man city is not selling club, but the offer of 140m as for coutinho seems enough that they would accept it, even without erikssen mf of frenkie, de bruyne arthur looks world class enough, even better. And thats 80m plus for arthur and malcom transfer. As of that, doing the simple math that would leave us with 100m spare for another big or couple of small transfers(40m + arthur transfer + malcom transfer) considering all of that if our board played it right we could have mf of de jong, de bruyne, arthur, pogba/erikssen, busquets, rakitic with the same amount of what we have today.

Unbelievable fuck up, even valverde couldnt produce a shitshow with this amount of quality

Arizona Scott

Since i remember watching Barca since mid 90s, there were always some tall, athletic players, both when it succeeded and failed. Your retarded propaganda has run it's course. It's dead, Jim.

No I think he slam dunked it and all you have left is being dismissive and avoiding the arguments.

And which one of the 3 is TALL and good with his head, please?

Now you're changing your own agenda, where NO fast execution, NO pace was mentioned earlier...
But I don't mind that if you start understanding the BALANCE...

Firmino is decent sized and Mane is great with his head despite his stature.

"Changed his mind", you asked him to exchange, be open and see another perspective (you are eloquently sharing BTW) now you want to hold it against him his posts are evolving? I think you are stretching his point of view.

Speaking for me, if I were to rate technique, field sense, pace (both initial and top end), strength and height (and I am not even getting to character traits like mental focus and having team success drive him more than his own ego) --height would be last and strength next to last. That doesn't mean they are unimportant to a squads overall makeup.

Arizona Scott

Once KDB went to City there has been no chance for him. Erikssen has a brilliant qualities but Spurs other midfielders do more of the work. He did get a bit overrun every time they played Liverpool just as our midfielders did. I think someone will overpay for him as we did for Coutinho.

Fabinho would have been great, yes. Huge miss.

We will see if Rodrigo and Ndombele were big missed opps, I think likely as well.

Not sure why Bruno F. hasn't been considered with him playing more advanced to FDJ and Arthur. Granted I have not see a lot of him but what I have seen impressed me. Maybe the final piece of the future midfield will come next year after we decide is it more of a DCM or ACM best needed to compliment our young corner stones.

Potroh

"Changed his mind", you asked him to exchange, be open and see another perspective (you are eloquently sharing BTW) now you want to hold it against him his posts are evolving? I think you are stretching his point of view.

I didn't mention "Changed his mind". I said " changing your agenda", which means a slow, gradual improvement, taking much more into account than he initially did.
Actually I welcome his slightly more open approach.

That doesn't mean they are unimportant to a squads overall makeup.

Who mentioned it to be unimportant?
I even capitalized the word "Balance" there.

Potroh

When you will get that I don't want physique over technique but physique on top of technique?

There is no such thing in football as "physique on top of technique".
Physical characteristics can be changed (obviously not height) by adding muscle density and accumulation, but usually it works to a small extent only.
Talents cannot be changed and technique, though can be chiselled but cannot be changed as such.

If you wanna build a future team, you need technical players, who later can better their technique and slightly build on their muscles too.
Or you can purchase "ready made" players, usually elderly ones, but a wise coach wishes to work with young players being able to further develop.

About attack, I am not happy if Griezmann will be a No9.
No pace, no headers, all about feet and 1-2s.

That means you do not recall how Barca was kicked out from CL in 2016, where Griezmann's nice header was the nail into the coffin.

YodaMaster

Nobody disagrees with that, even Cruyff himself, and you've been criticizing his conception of football.

So, if we have Puig (short, technical) vs Paulinho (physical but not technical)=then go with technique and Puig.

That means you changed your mind, because I'm pretty sure you used to hate on Alenas and Puigs while praising Paulinho when he was here.
No problem with you changing your mind though, it's a good thing actually and it takes courage to do it.

On the other hand: Frenkie-Eriksen-De Bruyne.
Doesn't that midfield have an equal amount or more technique plus way more physique?

Who'd reject KDB ? I've been saying for years now that he's the best CM/AM in the world in my opinion. He has it all: technique, balls, physique, IQ.
Eriksen is a good player too, Barca should have gone for him instead of Coutinho probably. But I'm not sure he has that champion/leader mentality. Time will tell I guess.
But the thing is: Erkisen and KDB are absolutely Barca style - Cruyff style midfielders.

I did though, over time asked for Rakitics who have less technique, but more physique, workrate and defending (when he was younger) to bring some balance.
But obviously, 3 Rakitics is not the answer.
But neither is 3 Puigs.

I would always take a prime Rakitic (2015) in my squad and make him an important player. He'd be my first option off the bench, and a starter if one of my 2 CM's isn't giving satisfaction. But sorry my friend, 2017-2019 Rakitic is far from being Barca level and despite that he has an undeserved privileged status till this day. That's why some of us call him a fraud today.

3. Plus, imo, always, out of 3 midfielders, one needs to add at least some physique and defending, even if he has a slightly weaker technique.

Fair enough and I'd even say the DM should be the player you're describing. But Busquets is an exception and a Barca legend. Because of that, I'd give him one last chance this season to prove that he can be world class again when surrounded by good CM's.

If there was a Yaya Touré on the market today, I'd buy him without thinking twice.

I also kept on repeating that Arturo Vidal should be a starter in away CL knockouts games. You can check it. Pep also played Keita in those away games back in the time. So you see, Cruyffista's aren't stubborn people who trust only "100% technique 0% physique" players.

And you need to stop talking about Pep's 2011 Barça. I think we can all agree that this was once in a lifetime team. But to reach 2006 and 2015 (and even 2009) level should be achievable goals for the great and ambitious club that Barca is.

You say it is impossible to get another Xavi Iniesta or Messi. I say that in 2 decades of trusting and developping Masia, Barça produced these 3 phenomenons. Thiago Alcantara would have been another Barca great (though not on same level as Xavi and Iniesta) if that shitty board didn't fucked up his Barcelona career.
If 2 decades of trusting Masia produced all time greats (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol) + great world class players (Piqué, Busquets, Pedro, Alba, Guardiola, Motta, Fabregas, Thiago) + other very good talents (Arteta, Valdes, Icardi,...) I say we should try another 20 years of trusting Masia and I'm pretty sure we'll produce plenty of other good/great players, and maybe even another one or two all time great.

But you think we should trust average players like Rabiot, Rakitic, Paulinho instead of trusting what brought us greatest players ever. Of course there will be flops, nobody said every Masia talent will turn into a world class player. But it is worth trying.

You say we were lucky that Messi Xavi Iniesta arrived at the same time. They didn't arrive at the same time. They're from 3 different generations. (80, 84, 87). Puyol and Busquets are from different generations too (78 and 88). Thiago is from 90 generation.

That actually shows that a rightly managed Masia produces great talents every 2-3 years. Right now and since Rosell/Barto took over, Masia is managed like shit. No surprise the only talent that emerged is a shit player (Roberto) who's in the first team for politic reasons since he's used as a Masia mascot by that board.

Last edited:
Firmino and Etoo are both 5’11” for what it’s worth .

Completely different styles of course.

Firmino would fit perfect in our team ..

Firmino is overrated, whole Liverpool attack is done by Mane and Salah. The Reds would be much stronger if they would have a worldclass striker. Imagine Salah-prime Suarez-Mane.

Home of Barca Fans