Ivan Rakitić

Sorin

Those guys knew that the club is bigger than them and they saw the big picture, they left space for young talent to play and grow just like they had their opportunities.. it comes from a place of love to the club. You cannot expect Raki to have such a mentality, it takes a much greater person to let go of the ego

Pretty much. Iniesta signed a contract for life just a year before he left to boot. He could've eaten wages for as long as he wanted.

Well, to be fair Iniesta and Xavi were both older when they left. And Rakitic can still be a very good backup/squad player.

What does it matter what age they were? At the time they left they were both as good or better than what Rakitic is now and they still thought that their level is not for Barcelona anymore.

But I get it, guys like Iniesta and Xavi know what is the level a midfielder of Barcelona should operate at. Rakitic doesn't, because he never was at that level to begin with. He's just glad he was fortunate enough to have such a huge club come for him.

Last edited:

Raketa10

The point is that a player much better than Rakitic realised when it was time to leave.

Dude first of all he left when he was 35 and when he was benched by Rakitic during his last season. Rakitic is 31 and was indisputable starter last season so it's not the same situation. Lucho had the balls to bench Xavi for Raki while I am not sure Valverde has balls to bench either Busi or Raki.

Secondly he wont leave for a smaller salary for sure why would he do that? Would you!? At the moment he doesn't have a better offer on the table. Last summer he had a huge offer from PSG but Barca wanted him to stay so it's understandable he won't accept less than he has here.

If Barca wants him to leave than Valverde and Abidal have to openly tell him the club doesn't count on him anymore and they clearly didn't do that. Maybe Valverde told him that he will be benched for De Jong but maybe he didn't. IMHO if you want someone out you should say that to the person's face.

As things stand right now only United can match his salary here but that depends on Pogba leaving. If Pogba won't leave than they probably won't go for Rakitic.

Last edited:

Tackle

The point is that a player much better than Rakitic realised when it was time to leave.

Nonsense.

Current Rakitic is quite a few levels above the stone booted Xavi or bag of bones Iniesta in their respective final seasons.

Xavi and Iniesta arguably had higher peaks, but they didn't age well at all compared to players like a Pirlo or Rakitic.

EdmondDantes

Nonsense.

Current Rakitic is quite a few levels above the stone booted Xavi or bag of bones Iniesta in their respective final seasons.

Xavi and Iniesta arguably had higher peaks, but they didn't age well at all compared to players like a Pirlo or Rakitic.

That's interesting. I've never seen a genuine Barcelona fan speak with such overt contempt of Xavi and Iniesta before.

And 'arguably' higher peaks than Rakitic? Xavi,? Iniesta?...Rakitic? Really?

And likening Rakitic to Pirlo? Especially in terms of ageing well, when Ivan has been a walking ghost for the past two seasons at least....

Bizarre post.

BarçaBarça

Valverde blunt with Semedo: "It's a value we need and it's very important for us." Not so much with Rakitic: "He is an important player, he has been. I don't know if he will be here this season. New players are coming and he will have to earn it like every year. Time is passing by"

I'm pretty sure this means that Rakitic won't be a starter this season. He will be rotated or sold to Manchester United if Pogba comes to Real. Valverde bets on Roberto as backup and De Jong/Arthur/Vidal as starters. Busquets will be rotated, and Alena/Puig will get gametime from time to time.

The thing that sparked life to our treble-season was new faces like Rakitic, but now it is his turn to see the bench/move on for the new spark, which will be De Jong in the midfield. Personally I'm not that much of a Roberto fan in the midfield, so I hope he doesn't take away too many minutes from Alena/Puig. Vidal will be essential all season though, and I hope he stays fit and contributes.

MTL_Barca

Nonsense.

Xavi was 34 going into his last season (turning 35 in January) and Iniesta was 33 going into his last season. I don't even want to imagine how Rakitic will play in 2-3 years.

Rakitic was 30 going into the last season, turning 31 in March. At that age range Xavi was still at his peak and an undisputed starter next to Iniesta for Peps Barca, one of the best teams of all time, winning CL in 2011 (aged 31) and also winning the world cup 2010 (aged 30) and euros 2012 (aged 32) with Spain. Xavi also placed 3rd at balon d'or 2010 and 2011 at that age.

He may not be the worst player ever but claiming he "aged better than Xavi and Iniesta" and comparing him to Pirlo is disrespectful as hell to these legends.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

...He may not be the worst player ever but claiming he "aged better than Xavi and Iniesta" and comparing him to Pirlo is disrespectful as hell to these legends.

I agree with this. Xavi was a superb sub his last season when he turned 35. Iniesta more inconsistent (I think largely due to injuries) but if I recall still managed a standing O at the Bernabeu despite ripping them to shreds his last match there. An unfortunate consequence of that masterclass if I remember was the canning of Rafa and ushering in Zidane who someone was able to manage a misfit of talents with egos into a very very good team.

Rakitic is a good player, was a very good player, but should not be brought up with those brilliant generational players. I am not sure Modric even belongs in that company nor any other midfielder in the game today that I can think of.

Arizona Scott

I'm pretty sure this means that Rakitic won't be a starter this season. He will be rotated or sold to Manchester United if Pogba comes to Real. Valverde bets on Roberto as backup and De Jong/Arthur/Vidal as starters. Busquets will be rotated, and Alena/Puig will get gametime from time to time.

The thing that sparked life to our treble-season was new faces like Rakitic, but now it is his turn to see the bench/move on for the new spark, which will be De Jong in the midfield. Personally I'm not that much of a Roberto fan in the midfield, so I hope he doesn't take away too many minutes from Alena/Puig. Vidal will be essential all season though, and I hope he stays fit and contributes.

Good post, however I think Rakitic and Vidal should be platoon in the advanced midfield spot. Arthur and FDJ deeper. Busi used to spell Arthur or FDJ if we want to get more defensive and work the ball around with a lead. I don't think Roberto and Alena are good enough midfielders to deserve time over any of those 5. I think Alena should be loaned or sold with a buy back option. Sergi is better when he doesn't have to process the whole field like a midfielder--meaning backup RB, LB and RW. Puig has more potential but he hasn't proven anything against elite talent--doubt he will factor this year. The other player I would consider in the rotation (with Vidal/Rakitic/FDJ/Arthur/Busi) is Coutinho. He is better imo in a more central advanced midfielder role than a winger. If he wants to play more this is where I think he needs to try to adapt to.

Alik

Nonsense.

This is one of the most retarded posts in the history of posts.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Nonsense.

10/10 troll bait.

Home of Barca Fans